Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

In a matter of preference...

Majerus/Crews 

Situation 1, NCAA, NCAA, NCAA

vs. 

Ford

NCAA, Cancelled Postseason (possible NCAA NIT for sure), NIT, NIT

Sustainability of relevance is definitely on the side of Travis Ford since we saw what the non-Majerus guy in part 1 did. 

Majerus was building a dynasty. It will probably be hard to compare anything to him. Ford is building a consistent winner. Spoonhour is the only other coach who built a winner here, in my lifetime, Grawer a little bit as well. I think if Travis Ford turns this into a 10-15 year job, he will go down as the all-time best Billiken coach. I also have to admit, I am fine with consistent success, even if there are not titles or elite eights. To me, my fandom is more about the process, and watching it done relatively well.

majerus mojo and almaman like this

1 hour ago, JettFlight5 said:

In a matter of preference...

Majerus/Crews 

Situation 1, NCAA, NCAA, NCAA

vs. 

Ford

NCAA, Cancelled Postseason (possible NCAA NIT for sure), NIT, NIT

Sustainability of relevance is definitely on the side of Travis Ford since we saw what the non-Majerus guy in part 1 did. 

Let’s be fair… Ford is

crews mess, situation 2, NCAA, Covid pandemic, NIT, NIT

DOC and QUAILMAN like this

52 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Team Blue has demonstrated that the floor is NIT even without it's leading scorer or any senior starters.  Now we need to find out what the ceiling is.

What if the staff viewed the ceiling (with Javonte) to be winning the A10 and losing 1st round in March Madness? 

7 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

What if the staff viewed the ceiling (with Javonte) to be winning the A10 and losing 1st round in March Madness? 

That would not qualify as the optimum view.

28 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I left off the first two years of Ford for that reason.

Fair, I’m just saying Covid pandemic impacted the cancelled postseason (obviously) and the first NIT year + situation 2 almost put him back to square one. He’s been dealt quite a hand with all that crap. If the players develop next season like they did this season, we’ll be incredible. 

I am fine with consistent success, even if there are not titles or elite eights

Not me. You have to have something to show for your efforts. 

Otherwise, what's the point in pouring billions of dollars in sports ?

I'm sure the 90's Buffalo Bills would trade their four straight AFC titles for one good Scott Norwood FG.

6 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I don’t think any coach would view that as a ceiling.  If they did I doubt they’d have much success as a coach.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:57 PM, Coach314 said:

We were incredibly close to that. You flip 2 of the losses on the whole schedule and that’s where we are.

unless you’re a 16 seed, if you think you can make the first round, your thoughts are sweet 16. Winning two games, with a matchup you don’t know yet isn’t out of this world if you think you can make it to the tournament 

ACE likes this

The huge what ifs for this season and frankly they are all very reasonable...winning the UAB, Belmont, Auburn, and St. Bonaventure home games. They were all winnable games and 3 of the 4 the Bills had leads in the 2nd half. Where would they be playing this week?

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

The huge what ifs for this season and frankly they are all very reasonable...winning the UAB, Belmont, Auburn, and St. Bonaventure home games. They were all winnable games and 3 of the 4 the Bills had leads in the 2nd half. Where would they be playing this week?

For some reason the game at Richmond bothers me more than the home loss to Bonaventure. 

4 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Or, going down the ladder in competition, winning @UMass and @Richmond, also games we led at the half, might have done the trick.

In the Bully Ball era we had a closer but we couldn't make free throws and you didn't have to guard our point guard.

This year we can make free throws and you have to guard our point guard but we didn't have a closer.

If Perkins returns, we'll finally see all the pieces together:  Free throw shooting, a point guard you have to guard and a closer.  It's so rare to see that configuration in my lifetime.  I plan to relish every moment of it.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

In the Bully Ball era we had a closer but we couldn't make free throws and you didn't have to guard our point guard.

This year we can make free throws and you have to guard our point guard but we didn't have a closer.

If Perkins returns, we'll finally see all the pieces together:  Free throw shooting, a point guard you have to guard and a closer.  It's so rare to see that configuration in my lifetime.  I plan to relish every moment of it.

I've only seen videos and sometimes JUCO performance doesn't translate, but I also could see Parker as being a potential "closer" as well. 

On 3/12/2022 at 11:45 PM, Brighton said:

Not me. You have to have something to show for your efforts. 

Otherwise, what's the point in pouring billions of dollars in sports ?

I'm sure the 90's Buffalo Bills would trade their four straight AFC titles for one good Scott Norwood FG.

This comment should be pinned to all of your ‘Fire Ford’ talk. You are pinning all your hopes on a 1% chance. I think that is a great way to make your time as a SLU fan a miserable experience.

39 minutes ago, Schasz said:

@UMASS

23 minutes ago, ACE said:

I've only seen videos and sometimes JUCO performance doesn't translate, but I also could see Parker as being a potential "closer" as well. 

-remember it took JPerk basically until conf season to be the player we remember and are missing this season so careful thinking Parker will walk in and score 15points per game from the start

32 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When do you think we'll know if JP is coming back next year...right after the Tourneys are over?

14 minutes ago, Brighton said:

So winning the A10 and getting an at large bid to the NCAAs are now a 1% chance ? Something tells me you hold John Mozeliak’s water too. 

And I’m glad you aren’t Ford nor May.

C'mon man, your "Not me" response was to the following quote:

"I am fine with consistent success, even if there are not titles or elite eights"

That's clearly the 1% chance AnkielBreakers is talking about.  In your heart you probably agree with him.  Why else would you move the goalposts?

14 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

You are changing the criteria to fit your argument. 

Wrong. Never not once did I ever say national championship or bust nor winning the A10 every year. That’s unrealistic, BUT, with our market, recruiting base, and facilities, we should be awfully damn close to doing it.

The reality is he’s had one NCAA tournament game win in 25 years of coaching. That’s Cuonzo Martin territory.