Travis Ford is a good coach

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

And players performing as coached .... a few less bone-headed plays here and there BY THE PLAYERS, and the team is 9-1.  The players can't be completely excused for games going south.  You absolutely cannot know when a bad play is coaching or player screw-up.

They are his players.  They are the guys he recruited.

BilliesBy40 likes this

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

And players performing as coached .... a few less bone-headed plays here and there BY THE PLAYERS, and the team is 9-1.  The players can't be completely excused for games going south.  You absolutely cannot know when a bad play is coaching or player screw-up.

-I'll play, are Yuri's talents best used walking the ball up the court to pass the timeline with 21 seconds left on the shot clock?

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I'll play, are Yuri's talents best used walking the ball up the court to pass the timeline with 21 seconds left on the shot clock?

Then add in THE WEAVE so we are down to like 14 seconds.

Are nesbitts best talents as a guy standing around the 3 point line?

Are hargrove best talents a spot up 3 point shooter? 

Is Rashad's best talents warming up bench seats?

Is our team conducive to half court success when the other teams big man keeps railing us....  

Again love Ford. But he is partially to blame and I think (hope) he would admit that. 

13 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Then add in THE WEAVE so we are down to like 14 seconds.

Are nesbitts best talents as a guy standing around the 3 point line?

Are hargrove best talents a spot up 3 point shooter? 

Is Rashad's best talents warming up bench seats?

Is our team conducive to half court success when the other teams big man keeps railing us....  

Again love Ford. But he is partially to blame and I think (hope) he would admit that. 

I'm with you on the other ones, but if Hargrove is shooting nearly 48% from 3pt land and 47% on 2s while turning the ball over quite bit when he handles it, then his talents are absolutely best used as a spot up 3 point shooter.  Throw in a few backdoor cuts ala Jimerson, but with an alley oop dunk instead of a layup and he's all set.

12 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'm with you on the other ones, but if Hargrove is shooting nearly 48% from 3pt land and 47% on 2s while turning the ball over quite bit when he handles it, then his talents are absolutely best used as a spot up 3 point shooter.  Throw in a few backdoor cuts ala Jimerson, but with an alley oop dunk instead of a layup and he's all set.

Ya I don't disagree Im not saying to not shoot.. I'm just saying a 6'4 athlete or whatever who can jump out the gym has turned into a spot up 3 point shooter. But he does lose it alot. Im just spit balling that last loss still has me bothered. UAB one was fine.

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Should have fired Majerus after season 4. What took that guy so long to build a winner. 

He really should've been fired after the 19 point debacle.  The greatest tactician I have ever seen, with a team that included Lisch and Liddel got the worst score in the shot clock era.  Not his guys, I get it, but wholly inexplicable none the less

18 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

He really should've been fired after the 19 point debacle.  The greatest tactician I have ever seen, with a team that included Lisch and Liddel got the worst score in the shot clock era.  Not his guys, I get it, but wholly inexplicable none the less

It was 20 points Rich.  Quit trying to make us look bad.

39 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

i think hargroves best place to be on offense is on the wing streaking down the sideline on a fast break and ending with a slam dunk.   that can never be accomplished walking the ball down the floor.

32 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I understand the desire of a coach like Travis to shorten the game by eating the clock when you have the lead late.  You just can’t completely abandon what has gotten you the lead in the first place.  Travis’s teams have done exactly that way too often.

That would be my only real complaint from yesterday.  Overall a really strong performance from the players and the staff.

50 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

Tracis will have this team ready to win A-10 tournament and some will say. Again he only wins when we score well

Is Tracis related to Travis? (I’m a crappy typer also)  

Deciding to pull an uptempo offense is not a bad decision. If you are realistic about coaching decisions, pulling an uptempo offense is smart after your team goes on a big run, especially if the other team has been cold. That is exactly the bettor’s strategy in any game of chance. By playing conservative, you reduce the risk of a large run by the competitor. We can Monday morning Quarterback it all day, but the players played poor down the stretch. That was in accords with a basic law of averages expectation. If we had played fast, we might have lost by 10, who knows. No one knows. In either case, a coach playing it safe against a team that put up 109 against a top 25 team is not stupid.

There are several things that can be blamed for the loss, but no one thing is exactly to blame.

cgeldmacher and slufanskip like this

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

Deciding to pull an uptempo offense is not a bad decision. If you are realistic about coaching decisions, pulling an uptempo offense is smart after your team goes on a big run, especially if the other team has been cold. That is exactly the bettor’s strategy in any game of chance. By playing conservative, you reduce the risk of a large run by the competitor. We can Monday morning Quarterback it all day, but the players played poor down the stretch. That was in accords with a basic law of averages expectation. If we had played fast, we might have lost by 10, who knows. No one knows. In either case, a coach playing it safe against a team that put up 109 against a top 25 team is not stupid.

There are several things that can be blamed for the loss, but no one thing is exactly to blame.

Probably the logical take. Just didn't like seeing ole tall white guy continually dunk on wide open alley oops. 

• 3 weeks later...