Travis Ford is a good coach

12 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-remember it took JPerk basically until conf season to be the player we remember and are missing this season so careful thinking Parker will walk in and score 15points per game from the start

I'm not expecting 15 ppg at all, but I also don't think we need that. What we do need is a player who can create his own shot off the dribble, and I think Parker can bring that element. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/12/2022 at 10:57 PM, Coach314 said:

What if the staff viewed the ceiling (with Javonte) to be winning the A10 and losing 1st round in March Madness? 

If you can win the A10 then you can win a game in March Madness. The idea that the ceiling is first round doesn’t even really make sense, given the randomness of the tournament.

ACE and slufanskip like this

47 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-remember it took JPerk basically until conf season to be the player we remember and are missing this season so careful thinking Parker will walk in and score 15points per game from the start

Don’t forget we didn’t have Perkins all summer as he finished up his school work. Hopefully, Parker gets here on time. 

14 minutes ago, Marlow said:

Cuonzo is 3 and 4 in the NCAA’s. He took Tenn. to the sweet 16.

I can tell you for a fact since I'm also a huge UT fan that the fan base was thrilled when Martin took the job at Cal!

1 hour ago, Schasz said:

When do you think we'll know if JP is coming back next year...right after the Tourneys are over?

There  is a point in time where Ford needs to know if he is returning or not.  If he waits too long, the backfill options will be all but gone.

In his interview, Perkins said he should be 'released from doctors orders' in June and hopes to be 100% by October.  

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

There  is a point in time where Ford needs to know if he is returning or not.  If he waits too long, the backfill options will be all but gone.

In his interview, Perkins said he should be 'released from doctors orders' in June and hopes to be 100% by October.  

I listened to his interview and heard that timeline. The NBA next season is not an option for Perkins. They want sure things and he won't be for the NBA draft. Frankly, if he wants to play college hoops it's either SLU or transfer to another team. I'm not sure how the pro minor leagues work so I have no idea what his options are there either in USA or Europe.

10 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

He is not released from medical care yet, and is not yet fully recovered by what you say. I do not know who would pick him to play professional sports, in the US or in the foreign leagues, at this time. He may make up his mind sooner than we think.

10 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

On the subject of coaching, Channel 5 had a nice piece on Tate last night.

Great post Steve thank you

12 hours ago, Schasz said:

I listened to his interview and heard that timeline. The NBA next season is not an option for Perkins. They want sure things and he won't be for the NBA draft. Frankly, if he wants to play college hoops it's either SLU or transfer to another team. I'm not sure how the pro minor leagues work so I have no idea what his options are there either in USA or Europe.

Perkins wasn’t going to the NBA regardless.   You said you heard the timeline. What is it?

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

Perkins wasn’t going to the NBA regardless.   You said you heard the timeline. What is it?

In his interview, Perkins said he should be 'released from doctors orders' in June and hopes to be 100% by October.  (Copied from above.)

I'm sure SLU has an excellent medical and rehab staff.  But there are many others just as good outside of the college world.  And Jordan Goodwin had a very impressive improvement in his shot when he got a shooting coach. 

I'm not saying anything except Perkins has a lot of options to consider.  My biggest hope is that he has qualified for his Bachelor's degree this spring.  After that, I support whatever he decides.

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In his interview, Perkins said he should be 'released from doctors orders' in June and hopes to be 100% by October.  (Copied from above.)

I'm sure SLU has an excellent medical and rehab staff.  But there are many others just as good outside of the college world.  And Jordan Goodwin had a very impressive improvement in his shot when he got a shooting coach. 

I'm not saying anything except Perkins has a lot of options to consider.  My biggest hope is that he has qualified for his Bachelor's degree this spring.  After that, I support whatever he decides.

I get all this, but there is no timeline that Perkins has shared. And I’m not so sure he has a lot of options. 

5 minutes ago, DOC said:

I get all this, but there is no timeline that Perkins has shared. And I’m not so sure he has a lot of options. 

I am not sure what you are saying.  Perkins, himself - in the interview, gave the June/October timeline.

Why wouldn't he have options?  Perkins seems to think he has options, or he would not say "I can't say yes and I can't say no."  Curious.....

On 3/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, HoosierPal said:

My bad. Talking about 2 different timelines here.  I was aware of his injury timeframe, which makes his decision timeline (which you referred to above)problematic. He can’t tell Ford if he’s coming back until he works out for his pro prospects. But he won’t be ready to do that until late summer at the earliest. So when does he let Ford know was my question. 
Although, his scholarship can only be used by him so that allows for more time to make a decision I guess

1 hour ago, DOC said:

My bad. Talking about 2 different timelines here.  I was aware of his injury timeframe, which makes his decision timeline (which you referred to above)problematic. He can’t tell Ford if he’s coming back until he works out for his pro prospects. But he won’t be ready to do that until late summer at the earliest. So when does he let Ford know was my question. 
Although, his scholarship can only be used by him so that allows for more time to make a decision I guess

-aren't there 13 schollies available and CFord and Staff determine who gets them? I can't see this happening but if CFord tells JPerk I need an answer as to your return by whatever date or the program will move on CFord has that ability

Coach Travis Ford said this morning on Frank Cusumano's show on 590 The Fan that he would be sitting down with Javonte Perkins (shortly) after the season, has already been talking to him. While Coach did not give a specific time, that I recall, my impression was it was pretty short.  

DOC, Schasz and HoosierPal like this

12 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Coach Travis Ford said this morning on Frank Cusumano's show on 590 The Fan that he would be sitting down with Javonte Perkins (shortly) after the season, has already been talking to him, and the decision will be made.  While Coach did not give a specific time, that I recall, my impression was it was pretty short.  

That kind of answers this discussion. I believe Perkins would count on the 13 limit next season. Hence the need to know. 

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Coach Travis Ford said this morning on Frank Cusumano's show on 590 The Fan that he would be sitting down with Javonte Perkins (shortly) after the season, has already been talking to him, and the decision will be made.  While Coach did not give a specific time, that I recall, my impression was it was pretty short.  

That makes the most sense. If Perkins decides he is not coming back to SLU then CTF needs to find a replacement. That would probably be thru the transfer portal. The timeline he gave at least the early part of it doesn't work for SLU.