Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’m not worried about the Orlando tourney. As far as we know they’ve lost Xavier and sienna and will find good replacements among all the other Orlando teams that aren’t in complete fields. 
 

I have no desire whatsoever to host a MTE at the Chaifetz against low major teams. The teams doing that are all P6 teams that know they have plenty of tough competition from their conferences. Doesn’t fit us at all.

Stick with Orlando and as long as we win the first game we’ll get some good opponents in games 2 and 3.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three weeks ago, SLU had to throw away the OOC schedule and start over.  Some teams (on the previous schedule) are in cities/areas where home games are not yet possible.  Some teams are not playing OOC's.  Some teams are in leagues playing 20 games, minimizing OOC games. 

Coach said BC game is still ON for Dec 12.  Orlando is still ON, but it is changing as we know.  Some teams dropped due to various quarantine issues, coming into Orlando and then going back to their home city.

So we know Indiana State, BC and Orlando are on the schedule.  After that, keep guessing.

The recruiting ban is set until Jan 1, and then it will be revisited.  He feels bad for the players who can't be seen.  Ford isn't too concerned, as he has 8 underclassmen on the roster.  He includes Russell in the freshman/8 unerclassmen discussion, as if he is a scholarship player.  But they are still recruiting as always.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a watermark year for the current program. I've long advocated sutainability and we are finally getting over that hump with Travis being around for now his fifth year and seeing decent recruits staying for four years as well as a restocking of the shelves of players as needed.  This team would have probably accomplished another milestone in sustaining the program by winning and being exciting to the point that Chaifetz would likely have been packed more times to the rafters then for any previous campaign.  COVID will likely rob them of that experience.  Attendance will be limited and the buzz associated with the program negatively impacted.  And that's a crying shame.  

There will be something (I hope and think) but it will be interesting to say the least to see it play out.  

Side note:  Lunardi has done another bracketology update, his first since August 10.  In it, he has downgraded both us and Richmond, dropping us to an 11 seed and Richmond to a 10 seed.  Which I find hilarious considering nothing has changed for anyone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kshoe said:

I’m not worried about the Orlando tourney. As far as we know they’ve lost Xavier and sienna and will find good replacements among all the other Orlando teams that aren’t in complete fields. 
 

I have no desire whatsoever to host a MTE at the Chaifetz against low major teams. The teams doing that are all P6 teams that know they have plenty of tough competition from their conferences. Doesn’t fit us at all.

Stick with Orlando and as long as we win the first game we’ll get some good opponents in games 2 and 3.

This. Assuming these events take place and there is some crossover with other events down in Orlando, I think there is a good chance we come out of this with a stronger non-conference schedule then what we had on paper just last month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Brighton said:

 

additional hotels within 1 mile of Chaifetz:

-Residence Inn on Jefferson

-Pear Tree Inn on Market

-Fairfield Inn on Market

-Courtyard on Market

- Drury Inn Union Station

-St. Louis Hotel at Union Station

Link to post
Share on other sites

coming in late and trying to read up on this.  Whats this MTE about?  Sounds like a school hosts a mini tourney with regional teams?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

This is a watermark year for the current program. I've long advocated sutainability and we are finally getting over that hump with Travis being around for now his fifth year and seeing decent recruits staying for four years as well as a restocking of the shelves of players as needed.  This team would have probably accomplished another milestone in sustaining the program by winning and being exciting to the point that Chaifetz would likely have been packed more times to the rafters then for any previous campaign.  COVID will likely rob them of that experience.  Attendance will be limited and the buzz associated with the program negatively impacted.  And that's a crying shame.  

There will be something (I hope and think) but it will be interesting to say the least to see it play out.  

Side note:  Lunardi has done another bracketology update, his first since August 10.  In it, he has downgraded both us and Richmond, dropping us to an 11 seed and Richmond to a 10 seed.  Which I find hilarious considering nothing has changed for anyone.  

Lunardi Is likely factoring in Covid and it’s effect on scheduling. We likely won’t be able to build as strong a dance resume if we have to cancel games against SD State, Minnesota, and Messphis. The shortened schedules will work in favor of the P6/P7 gang as they will get the most chances at Q1 W’s. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Lunardi Is likely factoring in Covid and it’s effect on scheduling. We likely won’t be able to build as strong a dance resume if we have to cancel games against SD State, Minnesota, and Messphis. The shortened schedules will work in favor of the P6/P7 gang as they will get the most chances at Q1 W’s. 

SDSU probably isn't happening.  I'm still hopeful the MN/MEM games will happen. If Orlando Tournament can replace X and Sienna with quality teams, and if there are some crossover games with other tournament teams while we are down there then I think SLU enters A10 play with a strong non-conference schedule under its belt. We're talking about a top 40 team in SLU....I would hope P6 teams view a neutral site game versus SLU as a solid addition to their non-conference schedule. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

 

additional hotels within 1 mile of Chaifetz:

-Residence Inn on Jefferson

-Pear Tree Inn on Market

-Fairfield Inn on Market

-Courtyard on Market

- Drury Inn Union Station

-St. Louis Hotel at Union Station

I think the Official Hotel of the SLU Billikens would be happy to provide transportation to the Arena from it's Ferguson location.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

One thing working against us IMHO isn’t lack of hotel space, but the state’s high CV19 rate. Schools might see StL as too high of a risk.

Agree on state's high CV rate working against us. Still not sure where this lack of hotel space perception is coming from though. How big is this hypothetical MTE at Chaifetz where a lack of hotel space would be a concern?!? There are 10 hotels within a 1 mile radius of Chaifetz. Expand that radius to 2.5 miles and you include almost every hotel in CWE/Cortex/DT STL. In the past 2 years alone this area has added, or will soon add, the following new builds: Element (Midtown), Aloft (Cortex), AC Hotel (CWE), LIve! by Loews (DT). Don't forget about Hotel St. Louis and the Last Hotel, both historic redevleopments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

SDSU probably isn't happening.  I'm still hopeful the MN/MEM games will happen. If Orlando Tournament can replace X and Sienna with quality teams, and if there are some crossover games with other tournament teams while we are down there then I think SLU enters A10 play with a strong non-conference schedule under its belt. We're talking about a top 40 team in SLU....I would hope P6 teams view a neutral site game versus SLU as a solid addition to their non-conference schedule. 

Lot of good stuff here.  First, the A10 v Mountain West challenge is off.  BUT, San Diego State is scheduled, as of now, to be in Orlando, so you never know - maybe a single stand alone game can be set up.  Orlando is being reshuffled by ESPN, and you know what that means.  They want to maximize eyeballs on the TV set.  I have no idea where that leaves the Bills.

A number of the P6 schools likely would not desire a 'quality mid-major' addition.  Example:  Duke, Kansas and Kentucky are all in Orlando.  Michigan State is a consensus Top 20 team.  If we aren't in a bracket with them, they won't elect to play us in a stand alone.  Why would these schools have any interest in a game versus SLU?  Those are the schools that already believe they will qualify for the NCAA based on their conference schedule and their one or two P6 quality games already set up.  Other marginal P6's might be willing to take that chance.  We need to understand that we are at the mercy of ESPN on who we end up playing.  They have seen their Orlando Bubble events erode, and they will do what they need to do in order to help out the bottom line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Lot of good stuff here.  First, the A10 v Mountain West challenge is off.  BUT, San Diego State is scheduled, as of now, to be in Orlando, so you never know - maybe a single stand alone game can be set up.  Orlando is being reshuffled by ESPN, and you know what that means.  They want to maximize eyeballs on the TV set.  I have no idea where that leaves the Bills.

A number of the P6 schools likely would not desire a 'quality mid-major' addition.  Those are the schools that already believe they will qualify for the NCAA based on their conference schedule and their one or two P6 quality games already set up.  Other marginal P6's might be willing to take that chance.  We need to understand that we are at the mercy of ESPN on who we end up playing.  They have seen their Orlando Bubble events erode, and they will do what they need to do in order to help out the bottom line.

Thanks, Hoosier, I always enjoy your insight. 

 I just don't see SDSU traveling to Florida from SoCal at this point but who knows. If we were to lose out on games against Minnesota and SDSU I would hope we could make those up in Orlando via one or two games against middle-of-pack P6 teams, whether in some sort of crossover event or in stand alone games. We don't need to play Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky to make up for a lost game versus Minnesota or SDSU. I still think the Memphis game happens this year. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm confident we enter A10 play with a non-conference schedule no worse than what was on paper last month. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Sorry if it's posted elsewhere, but one of our bigs was spotted on campus in a walking boot. Let's hope it's nothing or next to nothing. 

.......... Was it French? Linssen? Lorentsson? Jimmy? Okoro?  We have a lot of bigs now..

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

.......... Was it French? Linssen? Lorentsson? Jimmy? Okoro?  We have a lot of bigs now..

 

 

Can confirm it was Jimmy. I’ve seen him a few times in the last few weeks. Heard he’s had it since the summer time so he could be good to go soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

One thing working against us IMHO isn’t lack of hotel space, but the state’s high CV19 rate. Schools might see StL as too high of a risk.

Have any of you people spent a night elsewhere during this period. The hotels are on minimal staff, food (I did have breakfast, did not have dinner at Marriott San Antonio) comes in plastic baggies and is of two kinds hot or cold. The public places are deserted, although you can opt to have you breakfast at the only restaurant open to the public (but empty of people). Yes, the hotels are there, do you know if they are open to the public and capable to take full teams for a period of time. Disney can arrange it, you think SLU can? Anyone here has had a normal hotel experience over the last 7 months?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

 

additional hotels within 1 mile of Chaifetz:

-Residence Inn on Jefferson

-Pear Tree Inn on Market

-Fairfield Inn on Market

-Courtyard on Market

- Drury Inn Union Station

-St. Louis Hotel at Union Station

No love for the Grand Motel?

If we can get Iona as part our MTE, Pitino would likely take advantage of their hourly rates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that these are crazy times, and it’s obviously not anybody’s fault, but how f-ing INSANE is it that we’re a month and a half from the start of the season, and we aren’t even sure who all we’re gonna be playing yet. Just weird lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Can confirm it was Jimmy. I’ve seen him a few times in the last few weeks. Heard he’s had it since the summer time so he could be good to go soon. 

WHY ARE WE JUST HEARING THIS NOW? WE NEED OUR ON CAMPUS MBMs TO BE OBSERVANT

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

WHY ARE WE JUST HEARING THIS NOW? WE NEED OUR ON CAMPUS MBMs TO BE OBSERVANT

Lol my bad. Didn’t think I should say anything until there was something official or I had more concrete info about how it could impact the season. If the boot were to come off now and he was ready to go for the beginning of the season, there wouldn’t be a point in saying anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...