2020-21 Season

With Perkins in the starting lineup, the first player off of the bench is not nearly as predictable. An early foul could dictate the first sub. The need for a shutdown guard could bring Thatch or Hargrove in. The need for an outside shooter would bring in Jimmmerson. An extra ball handler could bring in Jacobs.  Ford has a lot of options to respond to early game situations.

majerus mojo likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Aquinas said:

With Perkins in the starting lineup, the first player off of the bench is not nearly as predictable. An early foul could dictate the first sub. The need for a shutdown guard could bring Thatch or Hargrove in. The need for an outside shooter would bring in Jimmmerson. An extra ball handler could bring in Jacobs.  Ford has a lot of options to respond to early game situations.

Russell can also sub as a ball handler our team has so many options.  This is going to be fun.

I guess starting allows you to do that hocus-pocus stuff at the end of the huddle/runway when coming onto the court.  Plus the lights. And the announcing.  That's got to me something to some.

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

This is a very level headed analysis of the Bills.   I took off my blue and white glasses and said, yeah this is a solid take on the season.   I didn't realize we were 347th in % of shots behind the arc.  Yes, if we want to play with the P5 big boys, that has to increase substantially as well as a corresponding % made.  Hightower got some props here, but Russell not a mention.  I like the fact he broke the squad into Guards, Wings, and Bigs.  None of the ancient 1-5 slots.  (I didn't see the need to copy the entire article.)

Siena has pulled out of our Orlando Tourney.  St. John's, Arizona, Dayton and Nebraska have pulled out of their Orlando Bubble Tourney's.  Pitt is also likely out.  It will be interesting to see the final mixture.  Does ESPN combine one or two of the tourneys to make larger brackets and one or two less tourneys?  Or do they find replacement teams?  Quality replacements might be hard to find at this late date. 

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Siena has pulled out of our Orlando Tourney.  St. John's, Arizona, Dayton and Nebraska have pulled out of their Orlando Bubble Tourney's.  Pitt is also likely out.  It will be interesting to see the final mixture.  Does ESPN combine one or two of the tourneys to make larger brackets and one or two less tourneys?  Or do they find replacement teams?  Quality replacements might be hard to find at this late date. 

-do these teams have better options to fill their schedule? 

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-do these teams have better options to fill their schedule? 

No idea.  There are many proposed bubbles in conversations.  Perhaps these teams see better options closer to home?  Siena and St. John's pulled out due to a mandatory 14 day quarantine imposed by NY Governor on anyone coming back from Florida.  You can't blame them for that.  (If you are in FL for 24 hours + 1 minute, the quarantine going back to NY kicks in.)

There are teams pulling out of other MTE's also.  Louisville pulled out of their Vegas MTE, as they reportedly are putting together a MTE in Louisville.  I believe Duke dumped out of one of theirs.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of anyone's scheduling.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Does ESPN combine one or two of the tourneys to make larger brackets and one or two less tourneys?  Or do they find replacement teams?  Quality replacements might be hard to find at this late date. 

If it is up to ESPN, the bubbles will likely be reconfigured or combined to provide the maximum projected profit (or least expense) for ESPN. I think ESPN might decide to combine bubbles.

9 hours ago, Brighton said:

St. Louis vs. Philadelphia. Two old blue collar Catholic cities.

Toasted Ravioli vs. Cheesesteak

2-0 lifetime vs. Villanova. I want this matchup. WANT.

I want Duke in Brooklyn. And then when we are through tossing Duke around like a rag doll:

I WANT HOLYFIELD!!! : gifs

TheChosenOne and Reinert310 like this

Miami, Florida State, and Notre Dame pulling out of MTE’s. Today’s lean is schools setting up 4 team round robins. St John’s, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Duke and Washington State are five mentioned today trying to do MTE's at their arenas. 

Scheduling chaos. 

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Thank you very much HP for all of the information you have provided on several posts.

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Thank you very much HP for all of the information you have provided on several posts.

All I have done is bookmarked Goodman and Rothstein.  I don't have a twitter account, but I read theirs.

Obviously there is a ton of unknowns on the possibility of an extra year.  You would have to expand rosters, but that will make it uneven across the board.  A team with no seniors gets no additional roster spots, while a team with 3, 4 or 5 seniors gets up to 5 extra roster spots if they all stay?  And this expanded roster would last for four years, right?  So does the 13 team roster have an advantage or disadvantage over a 16 team roster?  Expanded rosters would screw over a lot of freshmen.  Lots of fun stuff to think about.  And what happens if, no when, Team A plays all 27 games, gets into the NCAA tourney, and has a nice run, but Team B gets only 10 games in due to the virus and can't field a team for the NCAA?  Does Team A get the same treatment as Team B.  Confusing.

Add this extra year possibility into the free transfer rule next season and the NIL pay.  That will make this board explode.

Reinert310 likes this

Basketball oversight committees maintain maximum contest limitations

Current legislation passed in September remains unchanged

October 5, 2020 6:15pmGreg Johnson

The Division I Men’s and Women’s Basketball Oversight Committees on Monday reaffirmed their positions on reducing by four the maximum number of games that teams can play in the upcoming 2020-21 season.

In men’s basketball, teams can compete in a maximum of 25 regular-season games if a team does not participate in a multiple-team event; 25 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to two games; or 24 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to three games.

In women’s basketball, teams can compete in a maximum of 25 regular-season games if a team does not compete in a multiple-team event or 23 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to four games.

The committees, which met virtually, thoroughly discussed whether a blanket waiver should be applied to permit a school to participate in a maximum of 27 games with no multiple-team events, if certain conditions were met.

Committee members are aware of the scheduling difficulties teams are experiencing due to the uncertainty wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The Division I Council supported the oversight committee’s maximum contest limitations proposal in September,” NCAA Senior Vice President for Basketball Dan Gavitt said. “The oversight committee members believe amending the legislation now could further delay the scheduling process and possibly create unintended consequences.”

While the waiver process exists for schools to request relief from maximum contest limitations, the Division I Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee and Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee have indicated they are unlikely to support such waivers.