GDT: Explorin the bubble

Littlebill

55 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

After my inspection last night, LaSalle does have some high quality exposed ductwork that might be tops in the league. 

Typically you see ductwork up in the rafters, but not at LaSalle.  No, they have some really prominent ductwork running along the walls, which appear to be slanted for reasons I can't quite figure out.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GBL_Bills said:

I always forget TCU is in Dallas metro. I’m sure they’d try to block SMU. 

I know Ft. Worth and Dallas are the same metro area, but if there aren't many people in Ft. Worth who would watch SMU sports and Dallas people don't (except for Alum) watch TCU sports, They consider themselves better than Ft. Worth Country bumpkins.  Dallas considers themselves a Texan NYC and Ft. Worth is Cowtown all the way. More people in Dallas  watch UT sports than SMU. Texas and to a small extent OU carry Dallas. I'd be surprised if SMU football averages much if any over 20k per game. In the end SMU brings absolutely nothing to the Big 12

GBL_Bills likes this

4 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Typically you see ductwork up in the rafters, but not at LaSalle.  No, they have some really prominent ductwork running along the walls, which appear to be slanted for reasons I can't quite figure out.

That struck me last night and is probably my favorite thing about Gola. Why are the end walls slanted inward? I know it's part of a larger overall structure but still, they designed it that way in the mid-90s.

22 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder if the A10 coaches have been complaining to the refs about our physical style of play and the refs are now just looking more.  Our style of play may not be suited for the A10 guard dominant conference.  We seem to do better against the Power 5 conferences because they have bigger stronger players who play physically.  Once the league coaches get into the heads of the refs they will start looking for everything even if it is not there.  Now I know this is a generality statement but I do think there is something to it - we never had foul trouble issues in the non conference schedule it has only really been once conference play started.

Honestly, I'm fine with any kind of refereeing (physical / let them play, call everything, and anything in between) as long as it is consistent for both teams and consistently called throughout the game.  Our team should be able to adjust & play accordingly.  A10 refs seem to be inconsistent for both teams and inconsistent throughout the game.  They call touch fouls early to try to "control the game" and not let it get to physical, but then down the stretch they might allow pretty much anything.

My biggest pet peeve with A10 refs is the delayed call where they wait to see if a shot goes in or not and then they'll call a foul if it misses.  WTF is that?  It's a foul or it is not a foul.  The shot going in or missing has no bearing on that.  It just seems that the A10 refs are so clueless they assume if there is contact and layup misses that means there was a foul and if it doesn't then there wasn't.  Ridiculous.

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I'll go ahead and say I like the A10

I actually do, too, and my criticisms of the league mostly come from a place of affection.

The bottom line is that the schools in the A10 are the most aligned with us institutionally of any league currently available to us (the Big East being the unattainable dream for now). SLU also wants to continue to become more of a national than a regional brand and exposure to large East Coast markets is key to that. There are a lot of other small reasons, too, but I for one am overall happy to be there given our choices in the mid-00s and currently.

RUBillsFan and Compton like this

9 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Maybe it's for acoustics. I listened to the first 10 minutes of the game in the car and it sounded like there were 12 people there. Without the strategic positioning of their ductwork it may have only sounded like 4 people on the radio.

Box and Won likes this

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Honestly, I'm fine with any kind of refereeing (physical / let them play, call everything, and anything in between) as long as it is consistent for both teams and consistently called throughout the game.  Our team should be able to adjust & play accordingly.  A10 refs seem to be inconsistent for both teams and inconsistent throughout the game.  They call touch fouls early to try to "control the game" and not let it get to physical, but then down the stretch they might allow pretty much anything.

My biggest pet peeve with A10 refs is the delayed call where they wait to see if a shot goes in or not and then they'll call a foul if it misses.  WTF is that?  It's a foul or it is not a foul.  The shot going in or missing has no bearing on that.  It just seems that the A10 refs are so clueless they assume if there is contact and layup misses that means there was a foul and if it doesn't then there wasn't.  Ridiculous.

I agree the delayed calls are madding.  It is easy to say the players are suppose to adjust and to some extent that is true but it is hard play one way for half of the season and then all of a sudden you have to change.  I am sure Ford will get them to adjust somewhat but adjusting to this less physical style is not how Ford recruited - we simply just don't do as well.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I wonder if the A10 coaches have been complaining to the refs about our physical style of play and the refs are now just looking more.  Our style of play may not be suited for the A10 guard dominant conference.  We seem to do better against the Power 5 conferences because they have bigger stronger players who play physically.  Once the league coaches get into the heads of the refs they will start looking for everything even if it is not there.  Now I know this is a generality statement but I do think there is something to it - we never had foul trouble issues in the non conference schedule it has only really been once conference play started.

1.  SLU should send the video of those questionable calls and no calls to whomever is in charge of officiating in the A10.  That video of the LaSalle big clearly over the back and fouling Jacobs, who incredibly was called for his 5th and disqualifying foul, was incredible and very telling.

2.  Having been an Oakland Raiders Season Ticket Holder for 25 years, and watching the NFL zebras call things on the Raiders that aren't called on other teams (i.e. the AFC Champion KC Chiefs, et al.), I am convinced that SLU's physical style of play has put a proverbial target on its players' chests vis-a-vis the A10 refs.

3.  The refs have been an issue for SLU ever since SLU joined the A10.  SLU is a Midwest outlier in this East Coast based bus league, literally on a geographical island, West of the Mississippi, with the next nearest school, Dayton, 5 hours drive time away with 2 states in between them, and with the next nearest school, Duquesne in Pittsburgh, 8 hours drive time away.  The A10 overall is a good league, underrated, with good East Coast visibility, especially with the East Coast media.  There really is no other available, viable and better conference for SLU.   I do not think the AAC (American) is the answer for SLU.  That league is one of the top Group of 6, outside the Power 5, Football leagues, with a lot of large public universities.  The A10 has more similar, like minded institutions to SLU.  The problem is they are just too geographically far away.  But SLU has the best chance of competing and making the NCAA Tournament in the A10, which it has multiple times.

billiken_roy likes this

16 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Holy crap I had completely forgotten about JC Hankton

Perfect post to get the player’s name wrong. If you did it on purpose, then 🎩 tip to you.

4 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

I still can’t believe this was called against Jacobs. 

Truth. Had to work late last night so could only listen to the second half. After watching the replay, I can’t believe Rammer didn’t go ballistic on that one. Just a ridiculously bad call.

46 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

-could be but I would hate for a ref to be "worked" like this

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Personally I find it gross to speculate about injuries and other people’s health. 

That’s ridiculous. When you work with sports-related injuries, it’s like a mechanic listening to your car and diagnosing what’s wrong.
For example, I saw a QB take a hit and with the way he was holding his arm as he ran to the sidelines, I said probably a grade one shoulder separation. That’s what it was and it was obvious if you know what to look for.

Spoon-Balls likes this

32 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

A ref once told me about this one.  It was telling, and it happens repeatedly.  I was at the BYU at USF-CA game Saturday, and that is exactly what happened.

On non-egregious contact, the ref uses his discretion, decides that the play didn't warrant a conventional 3 point play, if the basket is made.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

I have it on good authority that the A10 is looking pick up a few more teams in Philly and Richmond.  They're also planning to add a couple of super-remote MAAC schools in upstate NY and another NYC school with a moribund hoops program.  The sh!ttier the gyms, the better - prominent ductwork a plus.

I heard that whatever team plays in that gym where Leonardo DiCaprio sucked that dick in Basketball Diaries is being added to the A-10.

They're going to go 1-32 on the year, with their only win being a home game against SLU in that cocksucking gym where the refs also suck their dicks.

Billiken Rich likes this

Just now, slusam said:

Just watched a replay. Our foul trouble changed the game. Anyone else notice a girl flip the camera off during a timeout with a minute to go in regulation?

That was the inspiration for my student trailer trash comment.

54 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I actually do, too, and my criticisms of the league mostly come from a place of affection.

The bottom line is that the schools in the A10 are the most aligned with us institutionally of any league currently available to us (the Big East being the unattainable dream for now). SLU also wants to continue to become more of a national than a regional brand and exposure to large East Coast markets is key to that. There are a lot of other small reasons, too, but I for one am overall happy to be there given our choices in the mid-00s and currently.

I like the A10 except for Fordham

willie likes this