Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
brianstl

This team in the rankings

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Compton said:

A rather auspicious ranking going into tonight’s game. 

And just one away from the number of teams issued dance cards. 

0-3/2-0/4-0/5-0

Bills at 69

BC at 132

Tulane at 108

K State at 98

Belmont at 114

E Wash at 123

Duq 62

Seton Hall 22

Auburn 6

SIU 200

Umass 126

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13-5 in A-10 will mean plenty of really good wins. I see this team more at 10 wins in conference. Even if we're on the outside looking in a month from now, there's nothing that a three-week hot streak in February wouldn't cure. 

A strong OOC has given teams in the A-10 plenty of chances to find ways to boost their resumes with Q1 and Q2 victories. Here are SLU's, as of 1/8

Q1: @Richmond, Dayton, @Dayton, VCU

Q2 @Lasalle, Duquesne, @UMass, @URI, @George Mason. 

That's 9 out of 16 games. Keep rooting for Kansas St., BC, and Tulane!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

13-5 in A-10 will mean plenty of really good wins. I see this team more at 10 wins in conference. Even if we're on the outside looking in a month from now, there's nothing that a three-week hot streak in February wouldn't cure. 

A strong OOC has given teams in the A-10 plenty of chances to find ways to boost their resumes with Q1 and Q2 victories. Here are SLU's, as of 1/8

Q1: @Richmond, Dayton, @Dayton, VCU

Q2 @Lasalle, Duquesne, @UMass, @URI, @George Mason. 

That's 9 out of 16 games. Keep rooting for Kansas St., BC, and Tulane!

 

Throw @Davidson into the Q2 bucket.  Today they are NET 99.

The NCAA Team Sheets do a good job plotting all of this. (Scroll to #69.)

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/NET Team Sheets - Jan. 7, 2020.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone please explain what I am not understanding here.  BC has a NET of 132.  They are listed as being a Q2 team.  All of the teams that we have beaten that are listed as Q3 teams have NET lower than 132.  What's the deal there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Someone please explain what I am not understanding here.  BC has a NET of 132.  They are listed as being a Q2 team.  All of the teams that we have beaten that are listed as Q3 teams have NET lower than 132.  What's the deal there?

The Net Rating cut-off between Quadrants is different for Home, away and neutral games. 

image.png.9ec665957a0422ee83d35d0b31a7737d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're getting some more help tonight, with Seton Hall taking down Xavier on the road and Auburn holding on against Vandy at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

The Net Rating cut-off between Quadrants is different for Home, away and neutral games. 

image.png.9ec665957a0422ee83d35d0b31a7737d.png

Got it now.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know what? F it, just win baby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

Moved up to 47..... wow!

"Wow," is right!  That's "in the conversation"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much swapped spots with Richmond... they move back 17 or so spots. A10 with six teams in the top 66 spots! Solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Basketbill said:

Moved up to 47..... wow!

NET gives major boosts for the lower ranked team winning big on the road. Tulane jumped 19 spots for beating Temple by 14 at Temple.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By this NET Bracket, Billikens are IN the NCAA tourney, today.  As it states, this bracket is based solely on NET ratings. Dayton, VCU and Duquesne are also in.  In the real world, I believe we are in the ever expanding bubble.

https://bracketologists.com/bracket/

 

Kansas State needs to start winning some conference games, or our W might slip a quad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayton up to 13 in AP.  Duquesne gets 9 votes.  SLU w/no votes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Bills! Down the Flyers! Cool to see us get a nod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seton Hall jumping more than anyone else in both AP (up 8 to 18) and Coaches polls (up 7 to 18). Obviously the NET Rankings matter most, but doesn’t hurt when our only two non-con losses are consensus top 20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

For KenPom followers this is interesting. 

KenPom is a fool in my mind. He has 8-7 Alabama up in the 50s and us down in the 80s.  Mizzou way ahead of us. Not sure how that happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

KenPom is a fool in my mind. He has 8-7 Alabama up in the 50s and us down in the 80s.  Mizzou way ahead of us. Not sure how that happens

KenPom is a predictive formula. It says on the website, the formula does not intend to determine how good a team's season has been so far.

The formula is: adjusted offensive efficiency - adjusted defensive efficiency...So our KenPom rating is 101.2-92.7 = 8.53.

I would imagine KenPom is lower than others (NET, RPI, etc) because we have won a handful of close games.  Those would seemingly hurt us more in kenpom than in NET or RPI.

 

I wouldn't worry about it too much. We could win a ton of games, but if our offensive efficiency doesn't improve drastically, our KenPom rating won't really improve too much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2020 at 11:06 AM, Littlebill said:

0-3/2-0/4-0/5-0

Bills at 69

BC at 132

Tulane at 108

K State at 98

Belmont at 114

E Wash at 123

Duq 62

Seton Hall 22

Auburn 6

SIU 200

Umass 126

 

I hope we never lose this ranking and still make the tournament

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...