Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

 

He also has Richmond beating UVA in the 1st round.  This bracket would have resulted in 8 or 9 NCAA credits for the A10 (I'm not sure if Dayton gets an extra credit for winning the thing or it is just credits for games played).  Sigh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just hope that 2020 - 21 season sees us playing faster both ends of the floor all season long.    this roster was built for it.   use it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i just hope that 2020 - 21 season sees us playing faster both ends of the floor all season long.    this roster was built for it.   use it.  

I love love love the way Yuri pushes the ball up the floor, looks for an advantage and pulls back if there isn't one.  Early in the season, he was prone to making a mistake / forcing something, but down the stretch he was great at exploiting the D being late getting back or stopping if there wasn't anything there.

However, on the defensive end, I actually thought we did better when we slowed things down and stopped trying to force steals / jump passing lanes all the time.  We were just forcing tough shots, grabbing rebounds, and then pushing off of those if the opportunity was there.  That is the kind of defense that the Majerus teams played and I feel like it can be totally demoralizing for an offense.

Of course, match ups will dictate everything.  We'll see the 1-3-1 against some teams and that will force more steals.  Generally IMO our best bet will be fast / controlled on offense and grinding / tough on D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RUBillsFan said:

I love love love the way Yuri pushes the ball up the floor, looks for an advantage and pulls back if there isn't one.  Early in the season, he was prone to making a mistake / forcing something, but down the stretch he was great at exploiting the D being late getting back or stopping if there wasn't anything there.

However, on the defensive end, I actually thought we did better when we slowed things down and stopped trying to force steals / jump passing lanes all the time.  We were just forcing tough shots, grabbing rebounds, and then pushing off of those if the opportunity was there.  That is the kind of defense that the Majerus teams played and I feel like it can be totally demoralizing for an offense.

Of course, match ups will dictate everything.  We'll see the 1-3-1 against some teams and that will force more steals.  Generally IMO our best bet will be fast / controlled on offense and grinding / tough on D.

Agree with your entire post and especially with the bold. Our defensive discipline was improving by the game and will be such an asset for our team next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I love love love the way Yuri pushes the ball up the floor, looks for an advantage and pulls back if there isn't one.  Early in the season, he was prone to making a mistake / forcing something, but down the stretch he was great at exploiting the D being late getting back or stopping if there wasn't anything there.

However, on the defensive end, I actually thought we did better when we slowed things down and stopped trying to force steals / jump passing lanes all the time.  We were just forcing tough shots, grabbing rebounds, and then pushing off of those if the opportunity was there.  That is the kind of defense that the Majerus teams played and I feel like it can be totally demoralizing for an offense.

Of course, match ups will dictate everything.  We'll see the 1-3-1 against some teams and that will force more steals.  Generally IMO our best bet will be fast / controlled on offense and grinding / tough on D.

Totally agree about Yuri. As the season progressed he was much more aggressive looking to push every chance he got. His decision making also improved. I felt like we pushed tempo a lot more this year than last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some random thoughts: 

  •  Sure I expressed frustration in the moment during some GDTs but this season was so fun
  • This season exceeded my highest expectations for the year. I am over the moon on how this team progressed
  • Travis Ford had some really bad individual in game coaching decisions, but on the whole I give him an A for coaching this season
  • I hope Ford gets an extension again
  • This freshman class will be remembered as one of the best ever 
  • Perkins will be first team all conference next year
  •  I think we will have a significant recruiting win for the 2021 class
  • I am oddly very much at ease with the abrupt end to the a season. I am totally fine with it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Just some random thoughts: 

  •  Sure I expressed frustration in the moment during some GDTs but this season was so fun
  • This season exceeded my highest expectations for the year. I am over the moon on how this team progressed
  • Travis Ford had some really bad individual in game coaching decisions, but on the whole I give him an A for coaching this season
  • I hope Ford gets an extension again
  • This freshman class will be remembered as one of the best ever 
  • Perkins will be first team all conference next year
  •  I think we will have a significant recruiting win for the 2021 class
  • I am oddly very much at ease with the abrupt end to the a season. I am totally fine with it.

 

I agree with everything you said except for the last line.  I always want one more game.............

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Billiken Rich said:

I agree with everything you said except for the last line.  I always want one more game.............

I totally get that. It's only been a day so by next week I'm sure I'll be depressed hahaha

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I totally get that. It's only been a day so by next week I'm sure I'll be depressed hahaha

Part of me is ok with it ending like it did because I strongly believe we would have beaten Dayton based on how we were playing, and now I can leave it at that without being wrong.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the Dayton team, would wish them well and probably root for them after SLU went down,  and admire their mix of players. But if they would have won it all, then this year is an even weaker year for CB than I thought it was.  I've been operating under the assumption that the teams this year at the top were all pretty beatable.  As a year, no big-time steam roller teams; but then again I never got around to watching most of them closely.  another reason I was looking forward to binging next week -- anyone want to weigh in on this year's top teams, comparatively speaking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

I really like the Dayton team, would wish them well and probably root for them after SLU went down,  and admire their mix of players. But if they would have won it all, then this year is an even weaker year for CB than I thought it was.  I've been operating under the assumption that the teams this year at the top were all pretty beatable.  As a year, no big-time steam roller teams; but then again I never got around to watching most of them closely.  another reason I was looking forward to binging next week -- anyone want to weigh in on this year's top teams, comparatively speaking.

i thought kansas was the best team by far.   the big guy, azibukie (sp?) was just a beast.   yes he pretty much only dunked, but he pretty much dunked whenever he wanted to. could say shaq when at LSU.   and the one guard, dotson, made me think of jordan as a freshman at north carolina.    this all said, i hate kansas and smug pretentious self.   if nothing else this whole virus thing kept that azz from winning and his cheating paying off.   hopefully in the offseason he gets the book thrown at him.   but we know how brave the ncaa is with blue blood cheaters.  

if the billikens lost before the national championship game, i would have rooted for dayton.   the billikens and dayton were the only teams i would have rooted for.   the rest would have just been basketball watching. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-how to you get all 18 Big 10 teams into a 16 team event? I imagine this was the hurdle they couldn't clear

biggest laugh of the day!   thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fun season. I didnt make the trip to richmond this year, but my navy son got to the game. As they did last year the Billikens were gracious hosts to him and made the game experience memorable. We are fortunate to have Coach Ford and his staff. They know how to coach baskeball and are good people. I am glad to be a Billiken fan. This was a great year and next year will be better. I could name all the players, but you already know them. I will mention THE LOCOMOTIVE he will be an absolute beast next year and the opposing centers will cry when they try to guard him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The perception of coach Ford prior to coming here is that he was a good recruiter and could get teams to the dance, but not make runs in the dance. I believe,  the knock against him not being able to take teams on an NCAA runs, burns in side him. He came to St Louis to build a program that can dominate the A10, make regular trips to the Big Dance AND make runs in the tournament.

I believe that is why he went after Bell and Madani. He knows that if you want to compete with to 25 teams, you need to be able to play big teams and shut down big players.

One of the beautiful things about the 2020-21 team is that it has great flexibility in being able to match up with big teams, teams that like to press, teams that are deep and teams that are athletic and teams that are physical. 

Ford can go big with Bell and French. He can also go to a 4 guard lineup and put 2 snipers on the floor with Perkins and Jimerson. 

This season I believe we are going to present more problems for opponents with our offense. If Bell doubles his scoring and takes advantage of teams when they try to cover him with one guy, that creates problems.  If they have to double French, and double Bell, and keep a guy on Perkins and keep a guy on Jimmerson and not lose track of Goodwin, watch out for Hargrove and try to keep Yuri from dishing the ball where he wants it..... well thier heads will be spinning. The bottom line is we will have more weapons than most teams can cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...