2019-20 Season

10 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Is there a good resource that lists any non-con games already scheduled for next year?

We have a T'day tourney in Florida with Michigan State, Xavier, Auburn, Gonzaga, Belmont, Boise State and Sienna.  Just looking at those teams, I expect we will 'draw' one of the first four in our initial game.  We also likely play SIUC on the road. 

Home we have San Diego State in the MW challenge on Dec 5 and Boston College.  That leaves maybe 7 home games and perhaps one road game to be scheduled.

GBL_Bills likes this

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We have a T'day tourney in Florida with Michigan State, Xavier, Auburn, Gonzaga, Belmont, Boise State and Sienna.  Just looking at those teams, I expect we will 'draw' one of the first four in our initial game.  We also likely play SIUC on the road. 

Home we have San Diego State in the MW challenge on Dec 5 and Boston College.  That leaves maybe 7 home games and perhaps one road game to be scheduled.

We have Kansas State at home right? We also have Auburn at home, though that may be the following year.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Winning the first game of that tourney and getting into the winner's bracket would be huge. Real chance to make some noise, like Dayton did this year in Maui.

53 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Problem with predicting getting in the NCAA is how many Power 5 teams lose in their Conference Tourney is hard to predict. Yesterday we watched the Vols beat the Gators. FL was pretty hot going into the game. Hard for me to believe FL is in as the SEC is down IMHO!

The announcers on yesterday's Mizzou home loss to Mississippi State were speculating that the SEC look good for 4 teams and would like to get a 5th.

37 minutes ago, NH said:

We have Kansas State at home right? We also have Auburn at home, though that may be the following year.

Auburn for sure skips a year, as they are in the Thanksgiving tourney with us.  KSU was a 'special event' and even though marked as a Home game, it was on a neutral court.  I don' t think there is another game with them, but I hope there is.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Auburn for sure skips a year, as they are in the Thanksgiving tourney with us.  KSU was a 'special event' and even though marked as a Home game, it was on a neutral court.  I don' t think there is another game with them, but I hope there is.

I don't think that's right about KSU. Pretty sure that was a home and home deal. 

31 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I don't care what the NET says. No chance we aren't one of the 40 best teams in the country right now. 

Out of reactions, good post.  Billikens are fire, everybody else blows goats, especially DOOK.

If those assbags don't fall more than one spot there is no justice in the world.  Lost 3 of their last 4, including their worst ranked/unranked beating in HISTORY to NC State.  For all the talk of parity, the old money still gets protected.

rgbilliken likes this

This is what a coach looks like after he has been out coached and run over by a train.  Coach Ford talks about team the team identity of Team Blue all of the time all of the time.
Quotes from RI coach in the this video referring to the Billikens: "Bunch of grown men." - I love that, especially given the number of freshmen minutes we have. And "They know who they are, they have an identity."  Contratulations to the team and Coach Ford

This is an article on yesterdays game in the Providence Journal -  It's a good read, Coach Ford has us peaking at the right time.  Going on the road to beat a team like Rhode Island, this time of year, with all of the marbles on the table is huge!

Saint Louis 72, URI 62: Billikens deal Rams a disappointing defeat

SOUTH KINGSTOWN --- There was nothing subtle about what Saint Louis did to the University of Rhode Island on Sunday afternoon.

The Billikens were as advertised, the stereotypical schoolyard bullies of the Atlantic 10 who are coming for your lunch money. The Rams were powerless to defend themselves, and their hopes of reaching a third NCAA Tournament in four seasons are now in real danger.

Saint Louis dominated in the paint and on the glass at both ends. Its bigger, stronger frontcourt made the difference in a 72-62 victory, one that was never in any serious doubt.

The Billikens piled up 56 points in the paint, a season high allowed by URI at the absolute worst time. Saint Louis tallied just one 2-point field goal outside the lane and attempted only four 3-pointers. The visitors were content to have Hasahn French and his teammates dominate inside, and they did so convincingly.

“We knew about their physicality,” URI coach David Cox said. “They’re a bunch of grown men. They really took it to us.”

The Rams trailed from start to finish after allowing the Billikens to score the game’s first 11 points. URI made only one real push to claim the lead, and Saint Louis responded with six straight points to move back out of reach. Jordan Goodwin’s steal and layup made it a 53-43 cushion with 7:14 left and the Rams were effectively finished from there.

“I obviously need to give credit to Saint Louis and (coach) Travis Ford for having his team prepared today,” Cox said. “He did a much better job than I did in preparing our guys. It started from the beginning.”

The strong crowd of 7,004 fans produced its largest roar with 8:17 left. Jeff Dowtin swished a 3-pointer from the left wing that made it a 47-43 game, capping a 10-0 run by URI. Terrence Hargrove Jr., Javonte Perkins and Goodwin needed just 1:03 to score on the next three trips, and the Rams never came within five points again.

URI was fortunate to only face a 26-19 deficit at the break. The Rams shot just 7-for-26 from the field, their sixth half of the season at 30% or worse. It took URI 6:13 to manage its first basket, as Dowtin converted from close range after seven straight misses.

“It’s a sound defensive team,” Cox said. “Versatile pieces. And again, as I mentioned, extremely physical.”

French closed with 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Billikens (21-8 overall, 10-6 A-10), his 11th double-double of the season. Goodwin and Perkins shared team-high honors with 17 points and Hargrove chipped in 11.

The Rams put four players in double figures but shot just 37.9% for the game. Fatts Russell netted 17 points on 5-for-16 shooting, including 2-for-7 from 3-point range. Cyril Langevine notched a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

URI (20-8 overall, 12-4 A-10) has dropped three of its last five games after reeling off 10 straight wins. The Rams now sit in very real danger of slipping outside the NCAA field of 68 barring a grandstand finish. No. 4 Dayton comes to town Wednesday night as the conference regular season champion and could represent a last chance at salvation for URI prior to the league tournament in Brooklyn.

“It’s a tough loss, but it’s a tough loss against a very good team,” Cox said. “They have 21 wins for a reason. We’ve got to regroup and we’ve obviously got to get focused on our next task – which is obviously a huge, huge task on Wednesday. We embrace that. We’ll be back. We’ll be ready to compete on Wednesday.”

Still think there’s a shot at an at large. Things would have to go our way still. 

If we make it the A10 finals, a loss to UD shouldn’t hurt our NET. Currently we’re at 57th. Winning at mason and home against the Bonnie’s should bring us close to 50. Winning 2 games and beating let’s say Richmond or RI again could raise it to mid to high 40s. Along with another Q1 win.  Mid 40s is the cut off line. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Still think there’s a shot at an at large. Things would have to go our way still. 

If we make it the A10 finals, a loss to UD shouldn’t hurt our NET. Currently we’re at 57th. Winning at mason and home against the Bonnie’s should bring us close to 50. Winning 2 games and beating let’s say Richmond or RI again could raise it to mid to high 40s. Along with another Q1 win.  Mid 40s is the cut off line. 

Last tourney last few At Large's were St. Johns 73, Arizona Sate 63, Temple 56 and Ohio State 55.

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last tourney last few At Large's were St. Johns 73, Arizona Sate 63, Temple 56 and Ohio State 55.

Right there are always exceptions, but it’s safe to say the idea is to be in the 40s.  Also I’m sure teams like those mentioned must have had a lot of signature wins, sorta like a Clemson this year 

HoosierPal likes this

9 hours ago, kshoe said:

I don't think that's right about KSU. Pretty sure that was a home and home deal. 

I looked back and that game was the "Wildcat Classic" which is an event KSU has played in KC for 10 years.  I could not find out what the Wildcat Classic is besides a game away from Manhattan; is it an except event or whatever?  I don' t know is what our contract with them says.  I obviously hope for a return game here.

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

This is an article on yesterdays game in the Providence Journal -  It's a good read, Coach Ford has us peaking at the right time.  Going on the road to beat a team like Rhode Island, this time of year, with all of the marbles on the table is huge!

Saint Louis 72, URI 62: Billikens deal Rams a disappointing defeat

SOUTH KINGSTOWN --- There was nothing subtle about what Saint Louis did to the University of Rhode Island on Sunday afternoon.

The Billikens were as advertised, the stereotypical schoolyard bullies of the Atlantic 10 who are coming for your lunch money. The Rams were powerless to defend themselves, and their hopes of reaching a third NCAA Tournament in four seasons are now in real danger.

Saint Louis dominated in the paint and on the glass at both ends. Its bigger, stronger frontcourt made the difference in a 72-62 victory, one that was never in any serious doubt.

The Billikens piled up 56 points in the paint, a season high allowed by URI at the absolute worst time. Saint Louis tallied just one 2-point field goal outside the lane and attempted only four 3-pointers. The visitors were content to have Hasahn French and his teammates dominate inside, and they did so convincingly.

“We knew about their physicality,” URI coach David Cox said. “They’re a bunch of grown men. They really took it to us.”

The Rams trailed from start to finish after allowing the Billikens to score the game’s first 11 points. URI made only one real push to claim the lead, and Saint Louis responded with six straight points to move back out of reach. Jordan Goodwin’s steal and layup made it a 53-43 cushion with 7:14 left and the Rams were effectively finished from there.

“I obviously need to give credit to Saint Louis and (coach) Travis Ford for having his team prepared today,” Cox said. “He did a much better job than I did in preparing our guys. It started from the beginning.”

The strong crowd of 7,004 fans produced its largest roar with 8:17 left. Jeff Dowtin swished a 3-pointer from the left wing that made it a 47-43 game, capping a 10-0 run by URI. Terrence Hargrove Jr., Javonte Perkins and Goodwin needed just 1:03 to score on the next three trips, and the Rams never came within five points again.

URI was fortunate to only face a 26-19 deficit at the break. The Rams shot just 7-for-26 from the field, their sixth half of the season at 30% or worse. It took URI 6:13 to manage its first basket, as Dowtin converted from close range after seven straight misses.

“It’s a sound defensive team,” Cox said. “Versatile pieces. And again, as I mentioned, extremely physical.”

French closed with 12 points and 14 rebounds for the Billikens (21-8 overall, 10-6 A-10), his 11th double-double of the season. Goodwin and Perkins shared team-high honors with 17 points and Hargrove chipped in 11.

The Rams put four players in double figures but shot just 37.9% for the game. Fatts Russell netted 17 points on 5-for-16 shooting, including 2-for-7 from 3-point range. Cyril Langevine notched a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

URI (20-8 overall, 12-4 A-10) has dropped three of its last five games after reeling off 10 straight wins. The Rams now sit in very real danger of slipping outside the NCAA field of 68 barring a grandstand finish. No. 4 Dayton comes to town Wednesday night as the conference regular season champion and could represent a last chance at salvation for URI prior to the league tournament in Brooklyn.

“It’s a tough loss, but it’s a tough loss against a very good team,” Cox said. “They have 21 wins for a reason. We’ve got to regroup and we’ve obviously got to get focused on our next task – which is obviously a huge, huge task on Wednesday. We embrace that. We’ll be back. We’ll be ready to compete on Wednesday.”

Hats off to Cox, and fuoking towel me.

3 hours ago, Aquinas said:

The Billikens were as advertised, the stereotypical schoolyard bullies of the Atlantic 10 who are coming for your lunch money.

-thanks for posting the article, is someone trying to send a message in case we see them again?

21 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Does anyone else think that Coach Cox's use of "extremely physical" is euphemistic for, "they fouled us but the refs didn't call enough fouls"?

I'm sure it is.  However complaining about the refs when the foul disparity was 9 in your favor makes you look like a pretty big crybaby.  I'm sure he didn't want to appear that way.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

5 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I love this Coach Cox  line and it should probably be posted in our locker room:

"The Billikens were as advertised, the stereotypical schoolyard bullies of the Atlantic 10 who are coming for your lunch money."

Someone put this on a t-shirt