Women's Billikens Basketball

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t know, the fact that she’s going to be on her own to progress over a good part of this summer doesn’t make me hopefully. She regressed this year which was incredibly frustrating to watch

She shows spurts of dominance and then disappears. She has the talent to consistently dominant, if she puts in the work. Hopefully she learns from Kendra Wilkins what a summer of hard work can do. Either way this team will be playing with 4 guards on the floor most of the time.

37 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

She shows spurts of dominance and then disappears. She has the talent to consistently dominant, if she puts in the work. Hopefully she learns from Kendra Wilkins what a summer of hard work can do. Either way this team will be playing with 4 guards on the floor most of the time.

I only saw 4 or 5 games so my opinion is limited but I thought she was underused. The minutes I saw were productive. She definitely needs to get stronger but I believe she has a lot of talent. 

billiken_roy likes this

13 minutes ago, willie said:

I only saw 4 or 5 games so my opinion is limited but I thought she was underused. The minutes I saw were productive. She definitely needs to get stronger but I believe she has a lot of talent. 

I thought she was a little better down the stretch also. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
35 minutes ago, thetorch said:

SLU women down by 13 to Fordham with under 5 left to play.

Jaidah Stewart has entered the transfer portal.

Just out of what seems like a decade of Covid lockdown so I’ll give them a pass.....but talk about slow as molasses getting out to the open 3 point shooter....shooting gallery for Fordham.  Hate to see Stewart go; however Warren looks like she can be a serious contributor once she gets in flow.

17 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

Just out of what seems like a decade of Covid lockdown so I’ll give them a pass.....but talk about slow as molasses getting out to the open 3 point shooter....shooting gallery for Fordham.  Hate to see Stewart go; however Warren looks like she can be a serious contributor once she gets in flow.

and 4 players chose to embarrass themselves by sitting during the National Anthem...

bauman likes this

Cut it out.  You keep pushing politics on the board and then racing to play the victim anytime someone pushes back.  It is getting really, really old.  I do not like when anyone brings up politics.  I understand that politics and the real world often overlap making it unavoidable at times.  But please, please, please stop.

I am sorry if this post makes you feel persecuted.  If it is any consolation, I am a Free Trade Globalist which means that I am really a man without a party these days.

4 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Cut it out.  You keep pushing politics on the board and then racing to play the victim anytime someone pushes back.  It is getting really, really old.  I do not like when anyone brings up politics.  I understand that politics and the real world often overlap making it unavoidable at times.  But please, please, please stop.

I am sorry if this post makes you feel persecuted.  If it is any consolation, I am a Free Trade Globalist which means that I am really a man without a party these days.

Since when did patriotism and loving your country equate to pushing politics? Americans historically rallied around the flag..it was a symbol of pride and unity. 

billiken_roy and dennis_w like this

31 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

Stu Durando, our "esteemed" SLU Beat Writer is the one who first brought it up.....

24 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Stu Durando, our "esteemed" SLU Beat Writer is the one who first brought it up.....

I haven't read what Durando wrote, but there's a difference between reporting on actions and pronouncing a judgment that people "chose to embarrass themselves."

21 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I saw that Stu tweeted about some WBB players not standing.  I would have been nice if the beat writer did some actual journalism and followed up on it by asking why they weren't standing instead of just stirring the pot.  Were they players trying to make some kind of statement?  They could have just as easily been protesting the election results as protesting something else, correct?  Maybe they were just being lazy?  Perhaps they easily fatigued after battling COVID & standing for an extended period would have been cumbersome?  It is also not clear from a still photo that those players all remained seated, right?  I mean what if that was just before the Anthem started & they got up when it started.  If that was the case, you'd expect Stu to delete or clarify, but I would also expect him to clarify why they were sitting.

I'm admittedly being a bit facetious here.  I can look at the picture & make reasonable guesses about my questions above.  They're just guesses though because Stu's single tweet about it with no follow up is kind of ridiculous. 

Totally fair to say you don't agree with their actions.  I'd argue that forced "patriotism" of standing for the National Anthem" isn't really patriotism at all.  I'd also argue that sitting for the National Anthem during a women's basketball game on EPSN+ (which likely either didn't broadcast the Anthem or show the players sitting) with no fans in the stands isn't really making much of a statement.  The hope is that if someone thinks there is something wrong they act for positive change as well as whatever passive statements they make.

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I haven't read what Durando wrote, but there's a difference between reporting on actions and pronouncing a judgment that people "chose to embarrass themselves."

be honest, there is no liberal cause you would be embarrassed by...the players obligation when playing in a SLU event is to represent SLU, not themselves....Stu found it newsworthy, and Steve allowed it to be on his board, so what's your problem with someone commenting on it???? you would have some credibility if you ever posted concern about a liberal concern being posted, but for some reason, comments from those individuals never garners your interest...why is that???? you would think you would be embarrassed by your hypocrisy continually being exposed......

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

be honest, there is no liberal cause you would be embarrassed by...the players obligation when playing in a SLU event is to represent SLU, not themselves....Stu found it newsworthy, and Steve allowed it to be on his board, so what's your problem with someone commenting on it???? you would have some credibility if you ever posted concern about a liberal concern being posted, but for some reason, comments from those individuals never garners your interest...why is that???? you would think you would be embarrassed by your hypocrisy continually being exposed......

I'm shocked that you apparently don't realize how arrogant you sound.

I don't have a problem with someone making a comment about the action, if they're telling me how they feel about it, as opposed to trying to tell me how I should feel about it.

If you had said, "I'm disappointed they chose to do that," it would be something I could read without offense.  Instead, you essentially attempted to impose your beliefs on the reader by saying, "they chose to embarrass themselves."  Really?  Who *chooses* to embarrass themselves?

No.  They didn't embarrass themselves, but they expressed themselves.  It's their right to do so, if the coaches allow it.  Personally, I don't think standing or not standing for anthem really means anything, but it's tradition.  So, if it's a tradition, then bucking that tradition brings attention to the action, giving it meaning it wouldn't usually have.

I'm not hypocritical.  I don't have a problem with occasional expressions of personal beliefs on here.  What I don't like is when threads become full of browbeating and bullying debate trying to make the "opposite" side accept the errors of their ways.  It's not going to happen.  Liberals aren't going to suddenly become conservative, and Conservatives aren't going to suddenly become liberal.  Frankly, I'm neither, but in some things I agree with more liberal ideas, and in others I agree with more conservative ideas.  I could be wrong, but in my opinion, the conservative side seems to be more aggressive in trying to convert the other side in this forum.

MAN, I miss Billikens basketball!

there is no defense or explanation imo that defends not standing at attention for "The Star Spangled Banner".   IMO, If America is that terrible, you should leave.  Obviously you believe there must be someplace better to be a resident and citizen.  

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

there is no defense or explanation imo that defends not standing at attention for "The Star Spangled Banner".   IMO, If America is that terrible, you should leave.  Obviously you believe there must be someplace better to be a resident and citizen.  

There is no defense or explanation imo that defends not standing at attention for "The Star Spangled Banner."

Says who?  What makes you entitled to feel such a thing is a requirement for citizenship?

If America is that terrible, you should leave.

It's not that the country is terrible, but some people feel some subsets of people have been oppressing other subsets, and they should change, more than people should want to leave.  Some oppressed people's ancestors were brought to this country against their will, and the establishment of this country was coerced upon the indigenous people, who hadn't invited them.

Obviously you believe there must be someplace better to be a resident and citizen.

Or those who continue to oppress other people born in this country could live up to the words of the Declaration of Independence.

There are a number of posters on this board who are more interested in getting into arguments online about what they perceive to be biases than they are in discussing Billikens basketball. I would highly recommend putting these posters onto your “ignore” list so that you don’t see their posts. It greatly improves the reading experience. And for any posters who choose to continue reading their posts, I personally would hope you don’t quote tweet and/or engage in their senile lines of argument, as it’s the only way those posts get shown to people who would otherwise be able to ignore them. 

slufanskip and Littlebill like this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

How can a person or country improve if they are not open to listening to ways to improve?  In the USA if you don't want to stand you don't have to even if someone else thinks you should.  Remember the idea of I may not like what you say/do but I will defend your right to do it - as long as it is not illegal.  

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How can a person or country improve if they are not open to listening to ways to improve?  In the USA if you don't want to stand you don't have to even if someone else thinks you should.  Remember the idea of I may not like what you say/do but I will defend your right to do it - as long as it is not illegal.  

sure they can sit or ignore the flag and/or the anthem.  but then dont be surprised if other americans that do respect and love our country shake their heads in disgust and are upset for that show of disrespect.   we have that right as well.  

all i am saying if you think there is a better place to be that you think will support your feelings for america, maybe you should go there or at least take steps behind the scenes to see if your legislators can initiate action to make those changes that represent your feelings without tearing up the country, starting fights or even worse examples of violence and disrespect, etc.   you arent going to make america better by tearing it down.   one would think after january 6th, you would see that steps in that direction are not making things better.   us conservatives told you liberals that all summer long and we were told we were wrong and that level of discourse was needed.   amazing how all at once you seem to be saying the same thing.   

and sure, silently sitting or kneeling is not the same as burning down a venture of throwing bottles at a policeman, or striking a capital security person, but it is headed in the same direction and the wrong way imo.    

AGB91 likes this