Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

On 1/30/2022 at 9:37 AM, Crewsorlose said:

Javonte has attempted 215 3s at SLU and made 78 of them. That's a 36% clip. Nothing special. He's a great mid-range scorer and relatively strong going to the hoop. The emergence of Jimerson, and Okoro, simply means that Perkins gets fewer shots. If he comes back 100%, he's the best player on the team, but it's not "his team." Jimerson is more efficient this year than Perkins was last year. Yuri has doubled his scoring. There just won't be as many shots going around. 

Jimerson can’t create his shot like Perkins..

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I am reading these posts and the expectations about Perkins return, plus Perkins playing at his prior level, are soaring. Perkins expects to be released from medical care in June, and expects to be back to 100% by October. I think it is premature, to say the least, to start making plans about how his presence int he team will make us a top team next season.

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

I am reading these posts and the expectations about Perkins return, plus Perkins playing at his prior level, are soaring. Perkins expects to be released from medical care in June, and expects to be back to 100% by October. I think it is premature, to say the least, to start making plans about how his presence int he team will make us a top team next season.

Unless the surgery made him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster.

224610C2-B49D-4E3A-8110-FF1F6ABD3589.thumb.jpeg.95eb56831c3c9c0730be7e8429ba532f.jpeg

First of all he has to come off medical care, then he has to get back to shape, then and only then can we judge if he is better, stronger, faster, and a better player than he was. I mean, Jesus turned water into wine, why should this guy be unable to improve beyond prior levels. However, as of now, that is the day of SLU's NIT game with UNI, he is not ready to play.

12 hours ago, Old guy said:

I agree. Players sitting out a year for non injuries, usually takes a month, or more of game play to return to their former a level of play.  An injured player takes longer. I will be very happy if he is up to full speed by conference play.

7 hours ago, Ibruce said:

There are reports that Butler will let their coach go today. Would we have any interest in Connor Turnbull if he goes back on the market?

Turnbull was a miss by the staff.  I think if they had another chance at him they wouldn't waste it.

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

did he turn down slu for butler or did slu not offer? does slu have interest in northweather?

Turnbull turned us down for Butler.  Mizzou was his other high-major offer but that coach is already gone.  I hope Turnbull reconsiders us if Butler fires his coach.

I've made it clear how much I like Turnbull and Northweather.  They are not necessarily impact players in Year One, but I believe they project as double figure scorers as upperclassmen.

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

did he turn down slu for butler or did slu not offer? does slu have interest in northweather?

Staff hesitated with Turnbull.  Butler beat us to the punch.  If we had made an earlier push he'd be at SLU.  He's not as good as Kalkbrenner but very close.

Perkins has to commit that he is coming back to play for the Bills before I'd worry about his recovery from the ACL which I believe will be a formality. I'd like to have him back, but right now it's not 100% and won't be until he tells us he wants to continue as a Billiken.

38 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Perkins has to commit that he is coming back to play for the Bills before I'd worry about his recovery from the ACL which I believe will be a formality. I'd like to have him back, but right now it's not 100% and won't be until he tells us he wants to continue as a Billiken.

You are correct, however from Perkins' point of view it may be in his best interest to delay any commitments for as long as he is allowed to do so. Meanwhile from SLU's point of view it may be in the team's best interest to find a really good replacement for him that is interested in coming here, and then presenting Perkins with the fact that he either commits or is out.

It is much easier to find a good replacement while the transfer portal is chock full of players wanting to transfer, vs waiting for Perkins to  make up his mind and giving him freedom to announce he is not coming back at at time when there are few transfer candidates still available. From SLU's point of view we have to act fast to find viable replacement and require him to make a decision on the spot.

SLU comes or should come first. These priorities should be made clear to Perkins.

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Turnbull turned us down for Butler.  Mizzou was his other high-major offer but that coach is already gone.  I hope Turnbull reconsiders us if Butler fires his coach.

I've made it clear how much I like Turnbull and Northweather.  They are not necessarily impact players in Year One, but I believe they project as double figure scorers as upperclassmen.

You have posted that SLU needs a big so I hope they get it done if he decides to de-commit.

I trust your evaluation on players so I hope SLU can get him.

FWIW, on 550am yesterday, Ford said we would have a decision from Javonte “Very, very soon.” That’s the second time I’ve heard him say it. Just guessing but it wouldn’t surprise me if we know something within a week.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

FWIW, on 550am yesterday, Ford said we would have a decision from Javonte “Very, very soon.” That’s the second time I’ve heard him say it. Just guessing but it wouldn’t surprise me if we know something within a week.

This is in line with what I just posted, I hope Ford does not delay and demands his commitment very soon.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is in line with what I just posted, I hope Ford does not delay and demands his commitment very soon.

We can demand all we want but the timeline is in Javonte's hands. We aren't going to give him an ultimatum. 

AGB91 likes this

From the rehab timeline posted on here, it doesn’t seem he’ll be a go for any of the NBA evaluation trials, camps and individual team assessments. Does anyone think he’ll get picked in round 2 or offered a FA deal? I think he’s going to have to come back. 

24 minutes ago, slu72 said:

From the rehab timeline posted on here, it doesn’t seem he’ll be a go for any of the NBA evaluation trials, camps and individual team assessments. Does anyone think he’ll get picked in round 2 or offered a FA deal? I think he’s going to have to come back. 

It's all speculation, but no, I don't think a team would spent a draft pick on a player coming back from injury who hasn't had a chance to show that they're healthy. However, NBA scouts had a grade on Javonte coming into this season and it's safe to assume that grade did not change based on the injury so a FA deal could be a possibility. If for example a team had him as a developmental player who needs 2 years in the G-League why wouldn't that still be the case?

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

I hope Ford is not demanding anything. Javonte has been an important player for this program and I hope they are working together to decide what is best for Javonte.

Keep in mind if Ford took your approach and “demanded” a decision, but Javonte wasn’t ready, he would always have the option to transfer to another school. I have to imagine the vast majority of programs would love to add a player like that in the transfer portal.

slufanskip likes this