Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

After Cusumano said Perkins was coming back, I said eh.  After Rammer said it, I raised an eyebrow.  After The One said it, I Iooked up how long it takes to return from an ACL injury.  And then I understood.  By the time Perkins is ready to go full speed and has his shooting legs back, the NBA Summer League will be over.  Might as well use the upcoming college season to update your resume and enjoy a tournament run with your buds.

thought this myself, you beat me to it, but you are right. he will not be rehabbed by the start of g league camps and such. might as well get the great resources available at slu

A10Ref and Taj79 like this

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ChiBilliken14 said:

While I believe he should just make every attempt to go pro at this point, what makes you think he wouldn’t come back and be the go to guy again? It’s been great to see guys emerge in his absence, but do you (or anyone for that matter) really think he’s that concerned about GJ being a better shot maker than him? With the game on the line and needing a basket who would you rather have with the ball in his hands, yuri/GJ or Perkins? IMO it’s Perkins 10/10 times. 

Javonte has attempted 215 3s at SLU and made 78 of them. That's a 36% clip. Nothing special. He's a great mid-range scorer and relatively strong going to the hoop. The emergence of Jimerson, and Okoro, simply means that Perkins gets fewer shots. If he comes back 100%, he's the best player on the team, but it's not "his team." Jimerson is more efficient this year than Perkins was last year. Yuri has doubled his scoring. There just won't be as many shots going around. 

22 hours ago, Coach314 said:

For those that have seen Parker play...could he challenge Gibson or Jordan for a starting spot next year?

From a fan’s perspective  I see Parker taking minutes away from Hargrove and Strickland.

If Perkins comes back that would put Thatch back on the bench.

Another issue for Hargrove and Strickland’s playing time could be Kellen Thames.

I enjoy scoring from our team and if Perkins comes back with Jimerson, Nesbitt and Parker with strong post presence Okoro I think the team average scoring could be something we have never seen before.

Coach314 likes this

5 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Javonte has attempted 215 3s at SLU and made 78 of them. That's a 36% clip. Nothing special. He's a great mid-range scorer and relatively strong going to the hoop. The emergence of Jimerson, and Okoro, simply means that Perkins gets fewer shots. If he comes back 100%, he's the best player on the team, but it's not "his team." Jimerson is more efficient this year than Perkins was last year. Yuri has doubled his scoring. There just won't be as many shots going around. 

The fact that Perkins doesn't need Yuri to get him shots, also means Yuri can offload some of the ballhandling duties.  Which means less shots from Yuri and less shots for the role players because Perkins is a better offensive option.  And less turnovers.  And instead of playing hot potato with reluctant teammates in the last 5 minutes, Yuri gets the ball to Perkins.

Perkins averages his 17-18 ppg, Gibson gets his 14-15 ppg, Nesbitt gets his 10 ppg, Okoro gets his 10 ppg, Yuri again leads the league in assists and everyone else gets in where they fit in.

On 1/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, thetorch said:

What evidence is there of this bringing back players back home as transfers?  We went 1-3 this past year and Nesbitt only came because Penny was a trainwreck.  A normal coach keeps Nesbitt there.

I’m pretty sure Nesbitt transferred because he thought his playing time was going to be scarce.  I like Nesbitt a lot.  I think he’ll be great for SLU.  But I also think you could see the writing on the wall for him at Memphis.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The fact that Perkins doesn't need Yuri to get him shots, also means Yuri can offload some of the ballhandling duties.  Which means less shots from Yuri and less shots for the role players because Perkins is a better offensive option.  And less turnovers.  And instead of playing hot potato with reluctant teammates in the last 5 minutes, Yuri gets the ball to Perkins.

Perkins averages his 17-18 ppg, Gibson gets his 14-15 ppg, Nesbitt gets his 10 ppg, Okoro gets his 10 ppg, Yuri again leads the league in assists and everyone else gets in where they fit in.

This is the main thing with Perkins. He creates his own. Gibson has proven to be a good scorer but he benefits greatly from Yuri. I don’t imagine there are too many players in the country with a higher percentage of their baskets assisted by 1 player. 

41 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

After mid-January 2020, Perkins is a 42.3% 3P shooter. His first few games here, he struggled mightily with his shot. Ever since then, he has been extremely efficient from deep. It is crazy to watch JP play and come out with "nothing special". He was the a10 preseason POY for a reason

I dont think its a zero sum game, where adding Perkins back into the line up, means a redistribution of the same total points. They will be capable of putting up significantly more points per game. If the starting lineup is Okoro, Perkins, Nessbit, Jimerson and Yuri, who do you double? Who do you name as the player who has to be shut down? The Bills could present a half court nightmare for defenses. If we find the open man, we will get better shots. Teams can't cover everyone and Perkins and Gibson don't need much space.

HenryB likes this

On 1/30/2022 at 12:11 PM, Aquinas said:

I dont think its a zero sum game, where adding Perkins back into the line up, means a redistribution of the same total points. They will be capable of putting up significantly more points per game. If the starting lineup is Okoro, Perkins, Nessbit, Jimerson and Yuri, who do you double? Who do you name as the player who has to be shut down? The Bills could present a half court nightmare for defenses. If we find the open man, we will get better shots. Teams can't cover everyone and Perkins and Gibson don't need much space.

Totally agree.  If you ask any coach of a sports team anywhere if they would like to add an elite player to their lineup, the answer is yes.  Not a single one is going to say, no thanks, we're good, we've already got our points accounted for.  If Perkins comes back, it will be very difficult for teams, especially A-10 teams to guard all of our guys.  If Yuri has Okoro underneath, and Perkins, Jimerson and Nesbitt to hit outside or streaking to the basket, watch out.

almaman likes this

On 1/30/2022 at 9:55 AM, 3star_recruit said:

Perkins averages his 17-18 ppg, Gibson gets his 14-15 ppg, Nesbitt gets his 10 ppg, Okoro gets his 10 ppg, Yuri again leads the country in assists and everyone else gets in where they fit in.

I made one slight edit

3star_recruit likes this

1 hour ago, Coach314 said:

He's supporting his guys.  Rehab is going well.  He's feeling no pain.  

Thanks for the update and good for him. Selfishly, I would like to see him come back but am a huge fan and will root for him wherever he ends up next year. 

hmart23 likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Did anyone else hear Dr. Chaifitz say on that twitter pidcast or whatever it was “with Perkins back next year” I’d assume he has a clue

Yep.  On Charter Chapley's Twitter "Spaces" postgame, Dr. Chaifetz said something about like "with Perkins coming back" or "when Perkins comes back".  I don't think he said "next year", but I could be wrong.  Optimist in me wants to take that as a hint Perkins is planning to come back especially with all the other rumors from people who may be in the know (TheOne, Cusumano, Rothstein).   Pessimist would say that not to read too much into it.  Chaifetz was speaking off the cuff from a place of excitement & that he's likely a super busy dude that may access to inside info, but may not got bogged down in the details like us MBMs tend to.

10 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yep.  On Charter Chapley's Twitter "Spaces" postgame, Dr. Chaifetz said something about like "with Perkins coming back" or "when Perkins comes back".  I don't think he said "next year", but I could be wrong.  Optimist in me wants to take that as a hint Perkins is planning to come back especially with all the other rumors from people who may be in the know (TheOne, Cusumano, Rothstein).   Pessimist would say that not to read too much into it.  Chaifetz was speaking off the cuff from a place of excitement & that he's likely a super busy dude that may access to inside info, but may not got bogged down in the details like us MBMs tend to.

Ok.  There is a recording of Chapley's Twitter Spaces here: 

I think it only stays up for a limited amount of time.  Dr. Chaifetz starts talking at 4:16 in the recording and mentions Perkins at 6:16 in the recording.  Here is the quote:

Dr. Chaifetz (speaking about Collins): "the kid's just a star.  And It's just... It'll be great to see how he improves over the next few years.  And how our team gels over the next few years with Perkins back with and everybody else maturing.  It's just really a bright future."

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Ok.  There is a recording of Chapley's Twitter Spaces here: 

I think it only stays up for a limited amount of time.  Dr. Chaifetz starts talking at 4:16 in the recording and mentions Perkins at 6:16 in the recording.  Here is the quote:

Dr. Chaifetz (speaking about Collins): "the kid's just a star.  And It's just... It'll be great to see how he improves over the next few years.  And how our team gels over the next few years with Perkins back with and everybody else maturing.  It's just really a bright future."

That sounds to me like he knows or at least believes Perk will be back 

I also love that the good Dr called out the officials. 

Don’t agree with the take on their big guy but liked Zach calling him not good 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, DOC said:

I thought we offered him and he didn't want to sit behind Yuri?

I mean, that's not official or public or whatever, but that's clearly the dynamic. He had an offer and put us in his top 3. He'll have a chance to play more right away at Indiana State, though.

DOC likes this

I saw him play against St Rita at the OFallon shootout. I really liked him. I thought he was on the smaller side now, but see him having very good numbers at Indiana St and putting himself in a good position to be the man or transferring up.

Side note: St Rita had a bunch of really good players.  They started a freshman, 3 sophs, and a jr. One of the sophomores was 2024 PG Jaedin Reyna. Hopefully the staff is talking to him already.