Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

I'm not as high on Thatch as others are.  

He's had some standout games but those usually come with 1,2, 0r 3 players higher in the rotation having bad games and getting benched causing Thatch to play.  And we usually lose those games.

He does some things well as a role player but he can't shoot, pass, or create and he's 6'2.  He's a good defender but not a lockdown guy.  He rebounds well for his size.  He is clutch, he can make big plays.  He's the type of guy who plays 8-12 minutes a game but may play the last 3 minutes of a close game.

Thatch is the best glue player we've had in a long time.   

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I find it hard to see anybody dislodging Gibson from the starting rotation next year. 

Yeah.  He's having a great season.  It seems the emphasis on recruiting is to go after wings.  With the number of years Gibson/Nesbit have left...wouldn't a forward (6'7-8 stretch/PF) be more of a need?

cheeseman likes this

15 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Yeah.  He's having a great season.  It seems the emphasis on recruiting is to go after wings.  With the number of years Gibson/Nesbit have left...wouldn't a forward (6'7-8 stretch/PF) be more of a need?

Coach Ford gets what he can get.  He's had a devil of a time getting that athletic stretch 4 at any of his stops.  I think he's accepted that fact and recruits big wings for that position instead.  MBMs just haven't accepted it.  Thames is the best big wing we could get in this recruiting class.

Perkins will be right back at the 4 next year.  That buys the staff another year to land a replacement.

21 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Main need IMO kind of only one is minutes. we've never had this much talent @ least in #s post easyEd. first 9 would start on a majority of teams since him. Keeping what we got with 3 incoming studs & add preseason POY returning our cup is running over.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Thatch is the best glue player we've had in a long time.   

I guess.

Since Cassity or Ellis & Jett.

He compares pretty favorably with Cassity. A guy who can play at a high level in short bursts or do one particuliar thing at crunch time well but on a really good team is back of the rotation.

54 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

6'8" power forwards rarely go to mid majors,get what you can hope they grow and coach them up

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford gets what he can get.  He's had a devil of a time getting that athletic stretch 4 at any of his stops.  I think he's accepted that fact and recruits big wings for that position instead.  MBMs just haven't accepted it.  Thames is the best big wing we could get in this recruiting class.

Perkins will be right back at the 4 next year.  That buys the staff another year to land a replacement.

Has it been announced that Perkins is coming back?  

Crewsorlose likes this

It's hard to imagine Javonte coming back. The sell was always that with Goodwin and French gone, he could be a high volume scorer who could win A-10 POY and possibly parlay it into a 2nd round draft selection or a summer league invite. 

Given how Jimerson, Okoro, and even Yuri have developed as scorers, everything looks different now. Make no mistake, Perkins would make the team better, but he'd be a 6th year guy averaging 15ppg in the A-10. Just get yourself right, train at SLU, and prove you can play overseas in summer workouts. 

33 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Given how Jimerson, Okoro, and even Yuri have developed as scorers, everything looks different now. Make no mistake, Perkins would make the team better, but he'd be a 6th year guy averaging 15ppg in the A-10. Just get yourself right, train at SLU, and prove you can play overseas in summer workouts. 

While I believe he should just make every attempt to go pro at this point, what makes you think he wouldn’t come back and be the go to guy again? It’s been great to see guys emerge in his absence, but do you (or anyone for that matter) really think he’s that concerned about GJ being a better shot maker than him? With the game on the line and needing a basket who would you rather have with the ball in his hands, yuri/GJ or Perkins? IMO it’s Perkins 10/10 times. 

59 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Has it been announced that Perkins is coming back?  

No, only speculated. I think all SLU fans are in agreement that we want what’s best for Javonte. If a great offer in Europe presents itself, SLU fans will be happy. If he needs another summer/fall in college to rehab and rebuild his stock, we will cheer for him as loud as we can. SLU fans are completely supportive of Javontes future, whatever that is.

drkelsey55 and SLU_Lax like this

54 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

It's hard to imagine Javonte coming back. The sell was always that with Goodwin and French gone, he could be a high volume scorer who could win A-10 POY and possibly parlay it into a 2nd round draft selection or a summer league invite. 

I hear you, but I’ve been watching every SLU game for 20+ years and have never seen a scorer like Perkins. He is one of the best players in college basketball. We’ve done an awesome job replacing him, but Javonte is special. If he returns he will average more than 15 ppg, because he is the best scorer in this conference. 

If he can make good money overseas, I’m all for it. He seems like a great kid and he’s surely been a great Billiken.

slufanskip and drkelsey55 like this

2 hours ago, NH said:

No, only speculated. I think all SLU fans are in agreement that we want what’s best for Javonte. If a great offer in Europe presents itself, SLU fans will be happy. If he needs another summer/fall in college to rehab and rebuild his stock, we will cheer for him as loud as we can. SLU fans are completely supportive of Javontes future, whatever that is.

Ok.  I understand that.  I talked to him in November and he was leaning on not returning.  But things can obviously change 

After Cusumano said Perkins was coming back, I said eh.  After Rammer said it, I raised an eyebrow.  After The One said it, I Iooked up how long it takes to return from an ACL injury.  And then I understood.  By the time Perkins is ready to go full speed and has his shooting legs back, the NBA Summer League will be over.  Might as well use the upcoming college season to update your resume and enjoy a tournament run with your buds.

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

By the time Perkins is ready to go full speed and has his shooting legs back, the NBA Summer League will be over

This is what I thought , he would still have to have a Strong summer Lesure showing to make it anywhere