Recruiting - 2022

Pistol

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yes and you know the portal is going to shake up that list of 9.  My guess is that more than one will go through the window. 
And my list would have 10. If you have Hargrove on this list, Thatch is on it also. 

I think the assumption is Thatch gets his master degree this summer and he's outta here.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's 9 guys for 3 spots because big wings play the 4 in these parts.  But I agree that Thames won't see much time next year and the loser of the Parker/Kramer competition won't see much time either.  So what's the point of bringing in yet another local guy who won't see much time backing up Yuri for 2 years?  How does bringing in a bunch of local guys to ride the bench encourage players to stay home?  

So you are OK with bringing in two guys where we have logjams at their positions as local guys who are going to sit.

But not a guy who plays a position of need who may have to sit as well.

The alternative is bringing in a 5th year player who wants to sit behind Yuri as well?  Who is that guy?  

What evidence is there of this bringing back players back home as transfers?  We went 1-3 this past year and Nesbitt only came because Penny was a trainwreck.  A normal coach keeps Nesbitt there.

I'd rather have a local guy here for 4 years and buying all in to #teamblue.  

There is only 5 players on the floor at a time.  Tons of players sit and tons of players sit without transferring or pouting.

If Perkins is coming back next year, I say everyone that is getting PT sticks around. That is the year for a major run. Ford/Tate just need to grab a replacement big and we are stacked with experience.  

Freshman boys just practice, learn and enjoy the bright lights of the tourney.

I also want to see more Strickland. 

Go Bills!

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think the assumption is Thatch gets his master degree this summer and he's outta here.

I have zero information, other than pre-season Chapley said the thought Thatch would stick around one more season past this one.  I agree the key for Thatch likely is completing his Masters.  When he has it in hand, he could very well depart.

7 minutes ago, thetorch said:

So you are OK with bringing in two guys where we have logjams at their positions as local guys who are going to sit.

The alternative is bringing in a 5th year player who wants to sit behind Yuri as well?  Who is that guy?  

What evidence is there of this bringing back players back home as transfers?  We went 1-3 this past year and Nesbitt only came because Penny was a trainwreck.  A normal coach keeps Nesbitt there.

There is only 5 players on the floor at a time.  Tons of players sit and tons of players sit without transferring or pouting.

I can understand that.  I'm somewhat conflicted because I want local players to succeed at SLU.  So I'm willing to risk them going low-major, blowing up, and probably not choosing us when they hit the portal.  But we will become a much more attractive transfer option once we string together some NCAA appearances.  

11 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If Thatch stays - 

3 players transfer at a minimum

Out of those 4 players Thatch will be the 3rd most talented.

Doesn't make sense.

So who are your 7 you are including in this post?

What is your definition of 'most talented'?

Thatch is the best man defender of the 9 or 10 that most of us are talking about and has the most 'heart' for rebounding.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I can understand that.  I'm somewhat conflicted because I want local players to succeed at SLU.  So I'm willing to risk them going low-major, blowing up, and probably not choosing us when they hit the portal.  But we will become a much more attractive transfer option once we string together some NCAA appearances.  

I fixed it for you.

We have had one period of time in our programs history where we were a success without having a core of local players.  That was with a HOF coach who's never going to be here again.

So you want us to spurn local players who may/may not sit on the bench for us, in the hopes that we will string together a bunch of NCAA runs without local players and then the local players we didn't recruit in the first place will come back to play for us behind the non existent players from NY, TX, FL, CA that we have never been able to recruit in our program's history.

So what you want is us to rehire Soderberg and watch all of our local players be a success at other schools while we hope to make an NIT every 3 or 4 years.

If a local player can be successful in the A10 he needs to be on the Billikens PERIOD.  No matter what position.  No matter what other players we have on the roster.  Let the team work itself out.  SLU isn't successful turning away local talent.

You want local players to do well.

I want local players to do well at SLU.

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Not disagreeing but is Martin a SLU level recruit or a reach because we don't have a back up that we think can develop? 

I was hoping and still have hope that Nesbit can be that guy for 5-10 min a game, especially by next year when Martin would arrive. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So who are your 7 you are including in this post?

What is your definition of 'most talented'?

Thatch is the best man defender of the 9 or 10 that most of us are talking about and has the most 'heart' for rebounding.

I'm not as high on Thatch as others are.  

He's had some standout games but those usually come with 1,2, 0r 3 players higher in the rotation having bad games and getting benched causing Thatch to play.  And we usually lose those games.

He does some things well as a role player but he can't shoot, pass, or create and he's 6'2.  He's a good defender but not a lockdown guy.  He rebounds well for his size.  He is clutch, he can make big plays.  He's the type of guy who plays 8-12 minutes a game but may play the last 3 minutes of a close game.

13 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I fixed it for you.

We have had one period of time in our programs history where we were a success without having a core of local players.  That was with a HOF coach who's never going to be here again.

So you want us to spurn local players who may/may not sit on the bench for us, in the hopes that we will string together a bunch of NCAA runs without local players and then the local players we didn't recruit in the first place will come back to play for us behind the non existent players from NY, TX, FL, CA that we have never been able to recruit in our program's history.

So what you want is us to rehire Soderberg and watch all of our local players be a success at other schools while we hope to make an NIT every 3 or 4 years.

If a local player can be successful in the A10 he needs to be on the Billikens PERIOD.  No matter what position.  No matter what other players we have on the roster.  Let the team work itself out.  SLU isn't successful turning away local talent.

You want local players to do well.

I want local players to do well at SLU.

I want local players to succeed at SLU.  Which means, IMO, prioritizing local players when the minutes are available and backfilling with mostly out-of-state guys when the minutes are tight.  Bringing in three local kids in the same class when minutes are scarce is not putting them in a position to succeed.

If you are looking for a local guy who will probably tough it out for four years even with a log jam for two of them, Kramer is that guy.  He was ready to make a decision on the spot but his dad made him wait a week.

18 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

For those that have seen Parker play...could he challenge Gibson or Jordan for a starting spot next year?

It seems unlikely given the season Gibson is having. When you average 18 a game on 44% from three it’s near impossible to lose your starting spot.

I can’t see him starting over Nesbitt either unless JNezz just doesn’t improve at all over the summer, which seems a little unlikely to me.

Parker will find a way to get minutes. He’s very much D1 ready. My question is just how quickly he can get up to speed defensively.

9 minutes ago, NH said:

It seems unlikely given the season Gibson is having. When you average 18 a game on 44% from three it’s near impossible to lose your starting spot.

I can’t see him starting over Nesbitt either unless JNezz just doesn’t improve at all over the summer, which seems a little unlikely to me.

Parker will find a way to get minutes. He’s very much D1 ready. My question is just how quickly he can get up to speed defensively.

Is he better than Williams?

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I want local players to succeed at SLU.  Which means, IMO, prioritizing local players when the minutes are available and backfilling with mostly out-of-state guys when the minutes are tight.  Bringing in three local kids in the same class when minutes are scarce is not putting them in a position to succeed.

If you are looking for a local guy who will probably tough it out for four years even with a log jam for two of them, Kramer is that guy.  He was ready to make a decision on the spot but his dad made him wait a week.

Can you tell me the last local player who wasn't a

A. last minute fill in or glorified walk on

B. Total Headcase

C. Just couldn't play at this level

D. Involved in a coaching change

That left our program over lack of playing time?

I'll hang up and listen or you can continue to make strawman arguments all morning.

I can give you a dozen local guys who didn't get playing time at first and have stayed including several guys on our current team.

Again Recruit Local Talent.  The roster takes care of itself.  You keep making suppositions that have never occurred at SLU.

7 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Is he better than Williams?

They’re different players. I am more confident that Parker will get playing time next year than Williams. I’ve never fullly understood the fit with Williams though so the coaches may have a vision for him that I don’t appreciate 

willie likes this

42 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Not disagreeing but is Martin a SLU level recruit or a reach because we don't have a back up that we think can develop? 

I was hoping and still have hope that Nesbit can be that guy for 5-10 min a game, especially by next year when Martin would arrive. 

He will be Jordan Barnes part 2 or at the very least Cornell Johnston, either of who could have contributed here instead of starring at lesser schools.

18 minutes ago, thetorch said:

He will be Jordan Barnes part 2 or at the very least Cornell Johnston, either of who could have contributed here instead of starring at lesser schools.

I don't really consider Barnes or Johnston to be the type of guys who we should be kicking ourselves for missing out on.  They may have been able to contribute at SLU, but neither ever played for a team that came close to the NCAA tournament or even NIT.  They were major contributors to mediocre lower level teams.  SLU was in bad shape itself during their careers, so maybe it would have been better off with them, but that has no relevance to the current program.  Both were DeAndre Jones type players.  We are seeing what Jones as a 5th year is contributing & he's nice to have as depth, but I'm not worried about what we'll do when he graduates.  

It is fine when lower level local players find a good fit elsewhere & contribute.  I'd rather they do that than get disgruntled sitting on the bench at SLU.

Edit: I haven't "seen the kids play", so I have no insider knowledge of Rob Martin in particular.  IF we're comparing him to Barnes or Johnston, I'm not really worried about him choosing to go elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I respect your opinion on these players and you may be right. I don’t see Martin as having the ceiling that Barnes had. Jordan was a knockdown shooter in a way that Martin was not.

I also don’t think you can play Yuri and Martin together in the same back court against most teams. I know you made the comparison to the Majerus backcourts but McCall, Jett and Kwamain all had much higher defensive upsides than Martin does (in my opinion).

I would certainly take Martin but I also won’t begrudge him if he’d rather go to a school / level where he will play more.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't really consider Barnes or Johnston to be the type of guys who we should be kicking ourselves for missing out on.  They may have been able to contribute at SLU, but neither ever played for a team that came close to the NCAA tournament or even NIT.  They were major contributors to mediocre lower level teams.  SLU was in bad shape itself during their careers, so maybe it would have been better off with them, but that has no relevance to the current program.  Both were DeAndre Jones type players.  We are seeing what Jones as a 5th year is contributing & he's nice to have as depth, but I'm not worried about what we'll do when he graduates.  

It is fine when lower level local players find a good fit elsewhere & contribute.  I'd rather they do that than get disgruntled sitting on the bench at SLU.

Edit: I haven't "seen the kids play", so I have no insider knowledge of Rob Martin in particular.  IF we're comparing him to Barnes or Johnston, I'm not really worried about him choosing to go elsewhere.

Barnes is a double whammy because not bringing him in, a player definitely good enough for this level, did not help on the Tatum front. Barnes may be Crews's biggest recruiting miss looking back, and that is saying something.