Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Pearson; I was told by someone at SLU that they think he's a true hidden gem (granted all coaches love their recruits). Apparently he plays on a loaded AAU team and wasn't getting much playing time. They got word he was going to play a lot in a late game in Vegas and Ford went to see him. He loved what he saw so much that he pulled Tate away from a game he was watching Gordon. They kept it as hush hush as possible because they didn't want any bigger programs knowing about him.

It's good to hear given that his suitor list was pretty weak. 

Twenty Two Vision, the AAU team that Pearson plays for, was not "loaded". There was only one high major recruit team on the team and a couple of mid-major guys, one of which was Pearson. His high school competition was weak and it took Pearson until the end of the summer before he made the adjustment. He had two good offensive tournaments, the Hoopfest in Kentucky and the big tournament in Vegas.

Now that Pearson has gained confidence from his success late in the AAU season, expect a few more 30+ outings against his high school schedule. It's a pretty weak schedule, akin to the competition a local school like Gibault or Mascoutah plays.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Twenty Two Vision, the AAU team that Pearson plays for, was not "loaded". There was only one high major recruit team on the team and a couple of mid-major guys, one of which was Pearson. His high school competition was weak and it took Pearson until the end of the summer before he made the adjustment. He had two good offensive tournaments, the Hoopfest in Kentucky and the big tournament in Vegas.

Now that Pearson has gained confidence from his success late in the AAU season, expect a few more 30+ outings against his high school schedule. It's a pretty weak schedule, akin to the competition a local school like Gibault or Mascoutah plays.

I played high school basketball at Gibault. Outside of a game or two against Madison, Althoff, and maybe SLUH, the competition is definitely pretty weak. So that scares me a bit about Pearson but those kind of numbers are still impressive. 

I'm not too worried about Pearson's role in AAU or his HS strength of schedule. We don't need him to come in as a freshman and be a star. 6-8 with that frame and that shot, not to mention a pretty nice skill set to build upon. The kid's ceiling is sky high. I'd rather have that potential to mold over four years than bring in guys who played stronger competition in HS (like Roby or Reynolds, for example) but didn't have that potential.

All that flying under the radar in HS and AAU did is help us land him without too many eyes from bigger programs. Now that he's playing with more confidence and with a real focus on the playoffs (and Kentucky Mr. Basketball), he's going to have a lot of people wondering how SLU landed him.

Zink likes this

18 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I played high school basketball at Gibault. Outside of a game or two against Madison, Althoff, and maybe SLUH, the competition is definitely pretty weak. So that scares me a bit about Pearson but those kind of numbers are still impressive. 

That’s more an indictment of Gibault, you’re terrible at basketball. 

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm not too worried about Pearson's role in AAU or his HS strength of schedule. We don't need him to come in as a freshman and be a star. 6-8 with that frame and that shot, not to mention a pretty nice skill set to build upon. The kid's ceiling is sky high. I'd rather have that potential to mold over four years than bring in guys who played stronger competition in HS (like Roby or Reynolds, for example) but didn't have that potential.

All that flying under the radar in HS and AAU did is help us land him without too many eyes from bigger programs. Now that he's playing with more confidence and with a real focus on the playoffs (and Kentucky Mr. Basketball), he's going to have a lot of people wondering how SLU landed him.

-let's hope

On 12/4/2017 at 2:34 PM, slufan13 said:

I played there in high school - actually a really good friday night environment for a small school

(Side note: I led all scorers that night - something about blind squirrels and acorns...)

26 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I played there in high school - actually a really good friday night environment for a small school

(Side note: I led all scorers that night - something about blind squirrels and acorns...)

We definitely had a good environment. It helps not having football though. Basketball and soccer get more attention. 

Look at ability over competition. I remember when people on this board tried to convince me that McLemore wasn’t a D1 talent because Wellston was Class 2A at the time. 3 years later he was a top 10 draft pick. Playing bad competition won’t make you jump 6 inches higher or improve your left hand

almaman likes this

12 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Look at ability over competition. I remember when people on this board tried to convince me that McLemore wasn’t a D1 talent because Wellston was Class 2A at the time. 3 years later he was a top 10 draft pick. Playing bad competition won’t make you jump 6 inches higher or improve your left hand

Pretty sure everyone here loved Mclemore except for his grades

8 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

So in the first two games, it appears Thatch has found his perimeter shot. I know he's been putting in some offseason work on it. I hope this holds, because that makes him a potentially different player in college.

Coach Martin is checking with Fred Thatch's coach about how strong his commitment is.

Next year needs a towel.

Good news about our signed recruits, makes the frustration of S2 a little easier.