Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

25 minutes ago, almaman said:

It would be crazy if Webster and Sikeston battle it out in the finals, though may be different Class.

Different class. WG is in Class 5, Sikeston is in Class 4.

Class 4 was a gauntlet last year, as Vashon, Sikeston, Hillsboro, and St. Mary's were all in the same quadrant. Whoever came out of that was going to win state, and it was Vashon. It's a shame they were all bunched together because they had an argument as the four best teams in that division.

Class 5 only tested Webster Groves in the semifinals, with Kickapoo. They lose a lot with Jared Ridder having graduated, but CBC will be back and is going to be a lot to handle for at least the next three seasons. But I'll take WG's seniors over CBC's sophomores for now. Chaminade will probably be favored to get out of that district again, but I don't think they're going to challenge WG. There's no answer for Gordon (and to a lesser extent, Ramey). Anyway, if we assume the same structure for this year's brackets, CBC in the quarterfinals should be the biggest test to WG, who I think will repeat.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Class 5 only tested Webster Groves in the semifinals, with Kickapoo. They lose a lot with Jared Ridder having graduated, but CBC will be back and is going to be a lot to handle for at least the next three seasons. But I'll take WG's seniors over CBC's sophomores for now. Chaminade will probably be favored to get out of that district again, but I don't think they're going to challenge WG. There's no answer for Gordon (and to a lesser extent, Ramey). Anyway, if we assume the same structure for this year's brackets, CBC in the quarterfinals should be the biggest test to WG, who I think will repeat.

may be biased, but I agree, I dont see any one who can challenge WG.  Also this new kid we got is supposed to be a scorer too who's a junior,  6'1, flashy, transferred over from Maplewood.  Should help with the loss of Cam Potts. 

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

may be biased, but I agree, I dont see any one who can challenge WG.  Also this new kid we got is supposed to be a scorer too who's a junior,  6'1, flashy, transferred over from Maplewood.  Should help with the loss of Cam Potts. 

-was Potts the left handed shooter? if not, is that player still on the team?

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-was Potts the left handed shooter? if not, is that player still on the team?

I cant remember if he was left or right. but he was the 2 guard/very small forward. 

54 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Class 4 was a gauntlet last year, as Vashon, Sikeston, Hillsboro, and St. Mary's were all in the same quadrant. Whoever came out of that was going to win state, and it was Vashon. It's a shame they were all bunched together because they had an argument as the four best teams in that division.

Sorry to get you a little side tracked.  But do you really believe Hillsboro is there with those other 3 schools?  Vashon and Sikeston was super fun to watch last year but I didn't think Hillsboro would be that high.  Good but not with those teams.  But I know you also see more basketball than I do for sure.  Thanks.

Assuming all players are available next year, how sweet will it be for Coach Ford to pick from Goodwin, AD, Graves, Bishop and Thatch for the PG and SG spots.  Almost as nice as picking from J Johnson, HF, Santos, Foreman, Bess, Welmer and Gordon for the 3,4, and 5 spots while letting Pearson develop.  I can't remember any Billiken team over the past 40+ years that came anywhere close to this level of talent and depth.

Try to pick a starting five from that list.  Quite a problem for Coach!  I see only two sure to start; Gordon and Goodwin with French as very probable.  That leaves a lot of talent fighting for the other two spots.  I think you could take the non-starters from that roster and beat the last two Crews era teams.

46 minutes ago, Slubills23 said:

Sorry to get you a little side tracked.  But do you really believe Hillsboro is there with those other 3 schools?  Vashon and Sikeston was super fun to watch last year but I didn't think Hillsboro would be that high.  Good but not with those teams.  But I know you also see more basketball than I do for sure.  Thanks.

Hillsboro was a clear fourth in this group, true. They'd have had a chance to make a run if they weren't surrounded by those other three.

Slubills23 likes this

1 hour ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I'm guessing Pearson is now official, unless if the AD messed up another Twitter post.

His HS basketball team's Twitter shows that his ceremony will be Friday, followed by the above post. Weird. The only thing I can think of is that he faxed in his LOI and will have a bigger ceremony tomorrow.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

"Thatch is ranked in the top 10 percent of his class at Sikeston, has been inducted into the National Honor Society and carries a 4.15 grade-point average on a weighted scale."

love it.  

"It’s not just for basketball, though. They have one of the best academic schools in the country. I am a student-athlete, so education is important for me"

...so Mizzou was never in the picture.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Hillsboro was a clear fourth in this group, true. They'd have had a chance to make a run if they weren't surrounded by those other three.

I live in between Hillsboro and Cedar Hill I will have to attend some games this season.

I traveled a lot last year and really wanted to go see Hillsboro and I will make it my mission this season.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I heard my Cadets are going to be stacked over the next few years. Don't they have two talented big men that are Freshman?

4 hours ago, kshoe said:

Impossible not to get pumped up about Thatch after reading that article.

He's definitely been lost a little in the excitement over Gordon, but hard not to immediately love this signing.   The one game I watched of him over the summer, he sort of stole the show for a good stretch of the game amidst a number of very highly rated players.  I think he'll contribute immediately. Add in the charm and the academics and you've got a fan favorite in the making.

2 minutes ago, SShoe said:

He's definitely been lost a little in the excitement over Gordon, but hard not to immediately love this signing.   The one game I watched of him over the summer, he sort of stole the show for a good stretch of the game amidst a number of very highly rated players.  I think he'll contribute immediately. Add in the charm and the academics and you've got a fan favorite in the making.

I agree. I see big things for Thatch. In fact, I bet my brother (a Mizzou guy) that Thatch would end up being  a better player than Torrence Watson. 

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I agree. I see big things for Thatch. In fact, I bet my brother (a Mizzou guy) that Thatch would end up being  a better player than Torrence Watson. 

Tough bet.  I would've loved to have had Watson too.  It will be interesting to revisit in 3 or 4 years. 

Just now, SShoe said:

Tough bet.  I would've loved to have had Watson too.  It will be interesting to revisit in 3 or 4 years. 

Yeah, I'm not 100% confident in that bet but I have a good feeling about Thatch, especially if he can grow another inch or two. 

46 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I live in between Hillsboro and Cedar Hill I will have to attend some games this season.

I traveled a lot last year and really wanted to go see Hillsboro and I will make it my mission this season.

I played against them in high school.  They usually have a great home court atmosphere.

31 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agreed. Watson seems like a softy, toolish type. Thatch on the other hand fits the bulldog/beast type that Ford is collecting.

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

Agreed. Watson seems like a softy, toolish type. Thatch on the other hand fits the bulldog/beast type that Ford is collecting.

Cant wait to see Goodwin and thatch in the lineup together. And man, add french and santos or gordon. this is a beefy lineup. 

NH likes this