Signed Recruit Thread

WVBilliken

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

my sorrow about Ramey has been tempered by thought that Gordon has the headlines all to himself and if WG has nearly the run they had last year it will raise his ranking.

Except that 5-star point guards have the ability to make their bigs look better.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:42 PM, RiseAndGrind said:

Nice display of dunks, but I would rather see 10 to 12 jumpers than dunks. We already have dunkers amongst our bigs. Need a big who can hit mid range.  Sure, mid range ain't gonna make the highlight film, but we need a 6'6"+ player (besides Johnson) who can hit a jumper from the elbow.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, almaman said:

my sorrow about Ramey has been tempered by thought that Gordon has the headlines all to himself and if WG has nearly the run they had last year it will raise his ranking.

If WG has nearly the run they had last year it will be because Amorey Womack, a junior scoring guard who transferred there from Maplewood, is playing out of his mind.  So Gordon still won't have the headlines to himself.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Nice display of dunks, but I would rather see 10 to 12 jumpers than dunks. We already have dunkers amongst our bigs. Need a big who can hit mid range.  Sure, mid range ain't gonna make the highlight film, but we need a 6'6"+ player (besides Johnson) who can hit a jumper from the elbow.

im so mad at this post i can barely type. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Gordon is a good shooter from midrange.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

If WG has nearly the run they had last year it will be because Amorey Womack, a junior scoring guard who transferred there from Maplewood, is playing out of his mind.  So Gordon still won't have the headlines to himself.

cool I'm guessing Maplewood transfer not as good s injured Ramey

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, HoosierPal said:

I think Welmer and Pearson will fill that void next season.  Based on Bess's free throw shooting I think he could finish mid range shots.

I think we have the bigs this season to do it but only JJ has made those shots.

50 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Pearson dropped almost 40 points last night 

I''l take some hope wherever I can get it.  Pearson was 6 for 11 from three last night:

“We recognized Mickey was out and the guys were getting him the ball,” McCurry said. “I’ve never seen that in high school. I’ve seen a lot of good games, but to come across half court two steps and nothing but net a couple of times.

“How do you guard that? He’s 6-8, they’re not blocking his shot.”

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/sports/boys-prep-basketball-pearson-catches-fire-bulldogs-cruise/article_8313f7e6-07d1-5b53-b75e-65fd0a5037a0.html

46 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I''l take some hope wherever I can get it.  Pearson was 6 for 11 from three last night:

“We recognized Mickey was out and the guys were getting him the ball,” McCurry said. “I’ve never seen that in high school. I’ve seen a lot of good games, but to come across half court two steps and nothing but net a couple of times.

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/sports/boys-prep-basketball-pearson-catches-fire-bulldogs-cruise/article_8313f7e6-07d1-5b53-b75e-65fd0a5037a0.html

towel me

10 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hopefully he "blows up" kind of like French did.  And puts on some muscle by next fall.  Lord knows SLU needs some shooters.  If we get "the 3" back, MP and EW then scoring from the 3 point line will be resolved .... I hope.

19 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

image.png.da5219b86d6eae7636839ad966a9f7dc.png

HE MADE THIS

Not only did he make it, he made it look like a pretty routine jumper. That poor defender. If he actually guards the shot, Pearson has unlimited room in both directions.

Wish we could get him on campus today.

15 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I spotted Tate at a Moberly Community College game today.  Alonzo Verge plays there.  Wonder if there is still interest 🤔

This is interesting. I have been meaning to check in with both Verge and David Sloan, another one-time high-major recruit who wound up at a lower-division school not too far from STL.

As said above, Mickey Pearson ended up with 38 points (27 in the first half) on 6-11 perimeter shooting (5 makes in the first half) in an 88-51 win over Shelby County. He added 10 rebounds. The recap has some great quotes:

“We recognized Mickey was out and the guys were getting him the ball,” McCurry said. “I’ve never seen that in high school. I’ve seen a lot of good games, but to come across half court two steps and nothing but net a couple of times. How do you guard that? He’s 6-8, they’re not blocking his shot.”

Pearson then went Steph Curry. One 3 made it 37-9 and the second 40-12. The third, from about 40 feet, 43-16 and the final one from two steps into the front court, like the other three, found nothing but net for a 48-16 advantage.

“With Mickey, it wasn’t shooting 30 shots to get whatever he got,” McCurry said. “He shot a high percentage. I’ve never coached and just shaking my head. I’m trying to call a play and he’s stepping two feet into half court and hitting it.”

“I was feeling it,” Pearson said.

The whole article is worth reading. Pearson talks about his teammates and their defensive schemes, as well. I was high on him from the start, and I know Shelby County isn't exactly Oak Hill Academy, but this kid is impressive.

Fred Thatch had 29 points, 11 rebounds, and 6 steals in a 90-59 win over Dexter. He even hit a couple three-pointers. Sikeston is excellent this year, having returned most guys from last year's very strong team.

Gordon starts up this week, with a game Thursday night.