Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

6 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. If Okoro really wants to be at SLU, I think we’ll find some room. Still...today was a HUGE DAY for Team Blue! #RiseOfTheBillikens

A few years ago, when we had 5 transfers sitting out (Bess, Foreman, Santos, Bishop, Henriquz), did we only have 6 scholarship players playing? Or was there a way around that?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mdscott24 said:

A few years ago, when we had 5 transfers sitting out (Bess, Foreman, Santos, Bishop, Henriquz), did we only have 6 scholarship players playing? Or was there a way around that?

That never happened.  Santos was a year behind Bess, Foreman, Henriquez, and Graves.  Still you're right, with Bishop injured, there were five guys sitting out.  However, 13-5 is 8.

4 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

Think you’re combining a couple years. Bess, Foreman were the year before Santos. 

4 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Rumor on the street is that Francis Okoro wants to leave Oregon and play for SLU. Friend said he heard this through his "Eagles contact", that Okoro was homesick. @Coach314 @3star_recruit is this just a bunch of poppycock or any truth to this?

Obviously we don't have an open schollie at the moment and Okoro would have to sit out a year but man that would be a fantastic pick up!

I hadn't heard that so it looks like you scooped all of us.  Mindblowing that French's replacement could be a 6'9 , leaner, quicker version of him. Travis and company are recruiting savages.

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

@Coach314 any possibility that Russell does a year at a Prep school and then potentially comes to SLU as a 2021 recruit?  It seems like more and more guys are going that route.

You would probably have to convince his mom that would be a good idea lol.  

To correct my former post....SLU has been in contact with Russell recently.  So...maybe there is something in the works.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I hadn't heard that so it looks like you scooped all of us.  Mindblowing that French's replacement could be a 6'9 , leaner, quicker version of him. Travis and company are recruiting savages.

What does Illinois' bigs situation look like over the next 3 years? I'd imagine that is a logical landing spot for him if he really does want to be closer to home. But I really hope TF and Co. are going full court press on this kid. 

9 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

What am I missing on Okoro? At a certain point a player’s college production is more important than pre-college rank, and Okoro has been incredibly underwhelming so far in college.

I agree. 17mpg, 3.3ppg, 4.2rpg. Those are ok numbers that could translate into him being  a starter since French will have graduated, but don't push out a guy who committed to you because someone new comes along. 

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

What am I missing on Okoro? At a certain point a player’s college production is more important than pre-college rank, and Okoro has been incredibly underwhelming so far in college.

He was a rotation big as a sophomore for at top 15 team filled with 4 star players.   You have to be a pretty good player to even break into Oregon's rotation.   You move him to a mid-major conference where he's the most athletic big and he's going to be a problem.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He was a rotation big as a sophomore for at top 15 team filled with 4 star players.   You have to be a pretty good player to even break into Oregon's rotation.   You move him to a mid-major conference where he's the most athletic big and he's going to be a problem.

Good perspective. Thanks.

Thrilled with the team as it now stands.  But given the comments regarding Okoro, found this article interesting.  Sounds like the kid had to battle injuries (ankle and a car accident) plus the death of his father during the season.  I'd give him a pass on his sophomore stats.  Tough, tough year for anybody, especially for a kid thousands of miles from home.  https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-basketball-Francis-Okoro-transfer-146179816/

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

I agree. 17mpg, 3.3ppg, 4.2rpg. Those are ok numbers that could translate into him being  a starter since French will have graduated, but don't push out a guy who committed to you because someone new comes along. 

Who said anything about pushing someone out?  There will be another player who decides to leave on their own in the next month and a half. My guess is someone will look at the roster and wonder where their minutes are going to come from with a healthy Thatch and Jimerson.

21 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Thrilled with the team as it now stands.  But given the comments regarding Okoro, found this article interesting.  Sounds like the kid had to battle injuries (ankle and a car accident) plus the death of his father during the season.  I'd give him a pass on his sophomore stats.  Tough, tough year for anybody, especially for a kid thousands of miles from home.  https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-basketball-Francis-Okoro-transfer-146179816/

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

An important thing to remember with Okoro is that he reclassified a year early going to Oregon.  Age wise he was the as a non prep freshman this past season.  

Good posts. I forgot he reclassified.

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

How viable are the rumors that he wants to come to SLU?

Not sure. My friend just said he had heard Okoro  wanted to leave Oregon and come play for SLU. He was at least right about the first part...

@TheOne???

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

An important thing to remember with Okoro is that he reclassified a year early going to Oregon.  Age wise he was the same age as a non prep freshman this past season.  

I don't think that is true about his age. At the time I remember hearing one of the reasons he reclassified was because he was going to be too old to play high school basketball in Illinois his senior season. That was the first time I had ever heard of that being a rule. So he was going to have to find a new home regardless and was able to cram thru the hours to graduate early.

After a quick Google search, he will turn 21 this summer, so he is still on the old side of being a sophomore/soon to be junior in college. My understanding is that he was late to the game of basketball, so a year off could be really good for him to work on his game.

brianstl likes this

With all of the Okoro talk, and some of the Russell talk, it would be worth considering players that might leave at this point in the spring. Let me be on the record: I want them all to stay. I love them, and I hate guys transferring out. That being said, something has to be said about the likelihood, specially since time during Coronatide seems to drip along, and weird thoughts enter guys' heads when they aren't around their teammates. 

1. Jacobs: he was suspended the last two games. From the Rabion HTRB podcast, it seems like Ford is a coach who gets on players really hard, but doesn't let it carry over. Ford did the most yelling in games at Jacobs and Yuri. Maybe Jacobs is just the kind of kid who doesn't respond as well as Yuri does. 
  2. Diarra - he barely got any run. Not more complicated than that. 
  3. Goodwin: his name is in the draft, and it seems he's the kind of guy who's wired to believe in himself and want to prove himself
  4. Thatch - only because of the medical situation, which is weird and unprecedented, but seems to be getting better. 
  5. French - see 2, but his skill-set really doesn't align. 

I would be crestfallen if any of these guys left. But I wouldn't be 100% shocked for the reasons mentioned. For the other 8, I'd be 100% shocked 

6 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

With all of the Okoro talk, and some of the Russell talk, it would be worth considering players that might leave at this point in the spring. Let me be on the record: I want them all to stay. I love them, and I hate guys transferring out. That being said, something has to be said about the likelihood, specially since time during Coronatide seems to drip along, and weird thoughts enter guys' heads when they aren't around their teammates. 

1. Jacobs: he was suspended the last two games. From the Rabion HTRB podcast, it seems like Ford is a coach who gets on players really hard, but doesn't let it carry over. Ford did the most yelling in games at Jacobs and Yuri. Maybe Jacobs is just the kind of kid who doesn't respond as well as Yuri does. 
  2. Diarra - he barely got any run. Not more complicated than that. 
  3. Goodwin: his name is in the draft, and it seems he's the kind of guy who's wired to believe in himself and want to prove himself
  4. Thatch - only because of the medical situation, which is weird and unprecedented, but seems to be getting better. 
  5. French - see 2, but his skill-set really doesn't align. 

I would be crestfallen if any of these guys left. But I wouldn't be 100% shocked for the reasons mentioned. For the other 8, I'd be 100% shocked 

This is all speculation of course, but my guess is if Jacobs's fence hasn't been mended, he'd be in the transfer portal. Same if there were a problem with Diarra. But these are kids, and even at a school like SEMO (where I live) they all think they're headed to the league, so anything can happen. The question is, will Russell or Okoro sit back and wait for something that might not happen when they will undoubtedly have other opportunities.

Crewsorlose likes this