Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

4 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Rumor on the street is that Francis Okoro wants to leave Oregon and play for SLU. Friend said he heard this through his "Eagles contact", that Okoro was homesick. @Coach314 @3star_recruit is this just a bunch of poppycock or any truth to this?

Obviously we don't have an open schollie at the moment and Okoro would have to sit out a year but man that would be a fantastic pick up!

I would freak out 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Rumor on the street is that Francis Okoro wants to leave Oregon and play for SLU. Friend said he heard this through his "Eagles contact", that Okoro was homesick. @Coach314 @3star_recruit is this just a bunch of poppycock or any truth to this?

Obviously we don't have an open schollie at the moment and Okoro would have to sit out a year but man that would be a fantastic pick up!

Oh wow, I know that was a reason many thought he would end up at Illinois originally. I would certainly take his skill set in the A-10. I did a quick search of him and one of the articles I found was about him having to sit out a game because he was struck by a car.

12 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Oh wow, I know that was a reason many thought he would end up at Illinois originally. I would certainly take his skill set in the A-10. I did a quick search of him and one of the articles I found was about him having to sit out a game because he was struck by a car.

It looks like his father passed away in late 2019. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to move closer to home.

Is he from Normal, IL or did he just end up playing high school hoops there his senior year? He played for BBE, didn't he?

17 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

It looks like his father passed away in late 2019. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to move closer to home.

Is he from Normal, IL or did he just end up playing high school hoops there his senior year? He played for BBE, didn't he?

I found this, not as compelling as him missing a game because he was hit by a car. "A native of Nigeria who came to the United States in 2014, Okoro moved to Bloomington-Normal as a freshman to live with his aunt and uncle, Nweze and Emeka Nnawke." He did play with BBE with Liddell, Moody (the trio of Moody, Liddell, and Okoro were by far their most productive players that spring/summer with Okoro averaging 12.8 points and 8.75 rebounds), Zion Harmon, McKinney and our guys Yuri and Hargrove. He also played up with them the season before (averaged 8.9 points and 9.6 rebounds) with Garland and Wiseman and guys like Liddell, Hellems, Shaun Williams, Catchings, Karrington Davis, and our guy Fred Thatch. So the kid dominated the glass at the AAU level.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Gotcha, so what Frank reported on his show was not accurate at this point.

I was talking to someone associated to Vashon last Friday and that's what I was told. 

From what I heard all along was that they were looking for a big to fill that scholarship.

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

That would be amazing.  I haven't heard it but I wouldn't be surprised.  I will ask around.

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Worth noting if another scholarship did open up

NH likes this

22 minutes ago, billikentim said:

Worth noting if another scholarship did open up

It seems like he would be the perfect replacement for French after HF is gone---a strong rebounder who could play the 4.  The Verbal Commits tweet shows him as a SOPH but I assume that means he has just finished his FR year.  If he has to sit out a year, he could step right in as French leaves.

The only problem is we are out of scholarships.  I wonder if we could get him placed at a JUCO like SWIC or the one that Corey Tate coached at, for next year?  That would give us the possibility of Okoro, Nesbitt and Kern  taking the scholarships of HF, JG and JP.  (I know there are lots of assumptions in the previous sentence, but we can dream, can't we?) The only thing I would see as missing from that recruiting class is a PG which would make that the perfect class with 2 locals, one mid-Illinois and the best PG we could get. (Yes, I know that one more scholarship would need to become available and I would think that that will probably happen)

Talk about building a Creighton/Xavier/Butler type Program!  This would get us into that discussion.

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Wow. I guess we technically still have a scholarship available....

I don't know what you mean by "technically " available but not if Lorentsson, Linssen and Strickland all come as promised.

1 minute ago, bauman said:

I don't know what you mean by "technically " available but not if Lorentsson, Linssen and Strickland all come as promised.

Lorentsson hasn’t signed yet...I’m assuming that’s what he means.

Just now, bauman said:

Lorentsson has not signed. He is as good as hope. The others are signed 

6 minutes ago, bauman said:

It seems like he would be the perfect replacement for French after HF is gone---a strong rebounder who could play the 4.  The Verbal Commits tweet shows him as a SOPH but I assume that means he has just finished his FR year.  If he has to sit out a year, he could step right in as French leaves.

He has played 2 years with the Ducks.  He would have to sit out this upcoming season and would have his junior and senior year after. 

3 minutes ago, bauman said:

I was just saying that Lorentsson has not signed yet and Okoro could perhaps sneak in and grab that scholarship but I guess  neither Linsssen or Strickland have signed either. Unless they have signed?

Just now, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I was just saying that Lorentsson has not signed yet and Okoro could perhaps sneak in and grab that scholarship but I guess  neither Linsssen or Strickland have signed either. Unless they have signed?

If I’m not mistaken, Strickland signed early.

11 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Don't think either of our Spring recruits have signed yet.  So "technically" SLU still has two openings.  Strange things DO HAPPEN like the Kentucky kid, Mickey Pearson, a couple of years ago who signed then backed out of his scholarship and went Prep.

4 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Lorentsson is gonna be a player though, I’m excited he signed!

For sure, I"m excited to see what he can do. I still hope there is a way we can land Okoro without it hurting our chances at a deep run this upcoming year

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

For sure, I"m excited to see what he can do. I still hope there is a way we can land Okoro without it hurting our chances at a deep run this upcoming year

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. If Okoro really wants to be at SLU, I think we’ll find some room. Still...today was a HUGE DAY for Team Blue! #RiseOfTheBillikens