Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

IF Russell signs, my concern is that would be an indication one of the guards (FT or DJ) won't be back - and I don't want that to be a case.  Hopefully we get 1) An impact sit-one transfer  OR 2) A serviceable back-up big. 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather not piss of the Vashon pipeline by taking one of their kids and then having him ride the bench. Unless all sides understand that that's the expectation. You can't play 13 guys and based on our guard depth, I would think he would be a bench candidate

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Sometimes, the signing of a 13th scholarship is just the signing of a 13th scholarship with no implications for rotation players whatsoever. In fact, I would say that's the case most of the time.

especially when you're talking about a two year gap on the roster like a Jacobs/Russell 

4 minutes ago, Glorydayzedandconfused said:

Football players usually need a year of a six fig training and diet program for the big leagues so they don't get major injuries freshmen year

I know, it just helps with shaping a roster for coaches tho

53 minutes ago, mdscott24 said:

I too am not sold on Russell now (admitting I haven't seen him play) for this very reason. If Jimerson didn't go down last season, then Weaver would have seen him time diminish to mop up activity. And don't forget Strickland's athletic ability and shooting ability. I just don't see the minutes for Russell at this point, especially assuming you have Yuri and Thatch for 3 more years, Jacobs for 2, and Jimerson and Strickland for 4, not to mention TJ for 3 as well. 

SLU is deep in the  2, 3 and 5 spots (assuming Diarra is a player).  So if Goodwin, Thatch, and Jacobs can step up as a 1 then I think getting a 4 is top priority.  There is lots of time to fill that last spot.  And an important decision coming up by the NCAA.  Here's hoping Ford waits. 

22 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I'd rather not piss of the Vashon pipeline by taking one of their kids and then having him ride the bench. Unless all sides understand that that's the expectation. You can't play 13 guys and based on our guard depth, I would think he would be a bench candidate

IMO, the only way "all sides understand that that's the expectation" is for Russell to sign and agree to be a healthy redshirt.   Seems like a good deal.   Work on his education, be part of the team, spend time with his cousin, have a 2 year gap between the two to give him the opportunity to be our starter for 2 years, COVID 19 uncertainties for this season exist, huge improvement over SEMO....  

The problem, though, again is that Coach Ford might instead want a big/transfer to help next year.   Maybe Ford is not so comfortable with Diarra as the back up to French and Bell.

And yes, while I am skeptical of Fred's basketball future at SLU, all signs point toward him not giving up - and SLU not giving up on him either. 

37 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Sometimes, the signing of a 13th scholarship is just the signing of a 13th scholarship with no implications for rotation players whatsoever. In fact, I would say that's the case most of the time.

I would rather take the approach that the "13th scholarship" player could be a big contributor in the future - example, finding an impact transfer or a big who can develop. As we have seen in recent years, you can never have too much depth. Always try to upgrade the roster, knowing that attrition is inevitable.

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

As long as the staff is honest with the expectations it could actually help the Vashon pipeline.

The Vashon coaches could see it as Ford and company giving an undersized PG with a SEMO offer a chance to play big time college ball and get a great education while doing it. 

15 minutes ago, dlarry said:

As long as the staff is honest with the expectations it could actually help the Vashon pipeline.

The Vashon coaches could see it as Ford and company giving an undersized PG with a SEMO offer a chance to play big time college ball and get a great education while doing it. 

Tony Irons is not his father.  He gets it.  If Kern comes here and does well, we can all officially hit the reset button.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

I would rather take the approach that the "13th scholarship" player could be a big contributor in the future - example, finding an impact transfer or a big who can develop. As we have seen in recent years, you can never have too much depth. Always try to upgrade the roster, knowing that attrition is inevitable.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you have 13 scholarship players, 1, 2 or 3 (or more) are going to be unhappy with their playing time, and the chance of them leaving is higher than those with ample playing time.  

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tony Irons is not his father.  He gets it.  If Kern comes here and does well, we can all officially hit the reset button.

Can someone let me know where things stand with Russell? The last I saw was a post about Frank saying SLU wanting to keep it quiet, but that he will be a Billiken.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Virgil Cobbin was a late 13th scholarship and we know how that worked out as far as contributions.

It was either Bell or Diarra last year and the year before that a grad transfer.

There is a lot out there and I think coach Ford will pull another rabbit out of the hat.

58 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Interesting name doing some quick research. More of a true back to the basket "old school" big who will sit a year and then have two seasons to play (we will have to see how/if the transfer rule changes, but this will be his 2nd transfer although a coaching change). Edit, he will be a grad transfer, so immediate eligibility with two seasons to play. Began his career at Valpo where he didn't get consistent playing time as a freshman, but transferred to UNC Wilmington where he was a starter and put up solid numbers as a redshirt sophomore (10.5 points and 4.6 rebounds in 20.5 minutes per game). Of note is how he finished the season for UNC Wilmington (games of 20 points and 6 rebounds/10 points/16 points and 13 rebounds/9 points and 2 blocks/19 points/18 points, 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks). Certainly fits a need going forward and he will be battle tested competing against French this year. UNC Wilmington hired a new coach, so maybe this was a case of the new coach going in a different direction as far as roster construction and style of play.

24 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Can someone let me know where things stand with Russell? The last I saw was a post about Frank saying SLU wanting to keep it quiet, but that he will be a Billiken.

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Does this mean the doors shut on Russell, for now at least? 

Russell was never offered.  Yes,  there was mutual interest.  They weren't recruiting him.  They wanted a big.  Maybe if someone leaves Russell will become a target.  

Rumor on the street is that Francis Okoro wants to leave Oregon and play for SLU. Friend said he heard this through his "Eagles contact", that Okoro was homesick. @Coach314 @3star_recruit is this just a bunch of poppycock or any truth to this?

Obviously we don't have an open schollie at the moment and Okoro would have to sit out a year but man that would be a fantastic pick up!

3 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Russell was never offered.  Yes,  there was mutual interest.  They weren't recruiting him.  They wanted a big.  Maybe if someone leaves Russell will become a target.  

Gotcha, so what Frank reported on his show was not accurate at this point.

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Rumor on the street is that Francis Okoro wants to leave Oregon and play for SLU. Friend said he heard this through his "Eagles contact", that Okoro was homesick. @Coach314 @3star_recruit is this just a bunch of poppycock or any truth to this?

Obviously we don't have an open schollie at the moment and Okoro would have to sit out a year but man that would be a fantastic pick up!

Holy @!?$#@ towel me....