Recruiting - 2020 Class (Optimal Vision Class)

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Good point.  It's not an ideal situation but it is a familiar one.  And small mid-major recruits don't have many options when it comes to team quality.  Either he takes his chances here or he takes his chances at a really bad program.

Agreed. It may not be an option, but a prep year could do him wonders maybe? 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is Russell comparable to mike Lewis? Sorta sounds like it. 

I was actually just about to bring up this comparison. I think he has a more well-rounded skill set at this point than Lewis did coming out of HS and is a better defender. I'm not sure he could score 14 PPG in his first couple seasons, like Lewis did, though. Lewis is probably close to 2 inches taller and really bulked up heading into college, too.

3 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Agreed. It may not be an option, but a prep year could do him wonders maybe? 

I think a few pages ago @Coach314 said his family would have to be sold on this idea and they didn't sound open to it at this point.

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also if I get to choose, I’m going with okoro over stockard

Agreed. I haven't seen Russell and have heard mixed things, so I am currently on swap Diarra for Okoro and call it a day. I know Okoro has some limitations, but he is exactly what I would target in a big, relentless rebounder and rim protector with a NBA body. And a year off will not only allow him to heal up, but also work on some of those offensive limitations. I have my mask on and the bag ready, where am I going with this?

BilliesBy40 likes this

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Agreed. I haven't seen Russell and have heard mixed things, so I am currently on swap Diarra for Okoro and call it a day. I know Okoro has some limitations, but he is exactly what I would target in a big, relentless rebounder and rim protector with a NBA body. And a year off will not only allow him to heal up, but also work on some of those offensive limitations. I have my mask on and the bag ready, where am I going with this?

You'll "first" need to convince a current scholarship player to leave.

SLU and Okoro seem like a perfect fit for both parties.  He wants to sit a year, then play 2.  That gives him a year to heal, improve his fitness and learn the offense and defense.  French graduates and Okoro gets a great shot at a starting power forward position.  The articles I read said that he has been playing center at Oregon.  I have to believe that his best NBA shot, would be playing the 4.  So with Jimmy holding down the 5, he would be freed up to play the 4.  
If he signes with a school like Illinois, he could end up in the same situation he had at Oregon and struggle to get on the floor.  SLU and the A10 would give him a chance to get his feet on the ground, build his confidence and still have big games agaist good competition.   It would also be good for him to have a year working against Bell and French in practice.  If I had to choose between putting my son in the hands of Coach Underwood or Coach Ford, in Ford I trust. 

At this moment, most of the preseason predictions have us ahead of Illinoise.  I think we are likely to finish in the top 25, so Okoro would be in a good position to keep that going, step into a good situation and do it in a major metro area like St. Louis, while still close to home.  He would hav Yuri feeding him highlight real passes ending in dunks on ESPN. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I would think that he is. My hesitation with Russell, though, isn't specific to him. We have a PG who averaged over 31 minutes a game as a freshman. Would you really want to be another 5-10 guard in the class immediately behind him? I would want at least one class in between YC and the next true PG or it seems like a recipe for a frustrated player who would transfer in a year or two.

This was more my concern in regards to Phil 

10 hours ago, Coach314 said:

I can't repeat everything I have heard.  But I can confirm that SLU is definitely interested in Stockard,  Okoro and that Ford really likes Russell.  What that means in terms of possible roster moves idk but I heard Diarra might be leaving.

Thanks for the info, Coach.  I definitely trust Ford, but getting all 3 would be a massive shakeup to the roster.  

34 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The articles I read said that he has been playing center at Oregon.  

Seems like Oregon played very small. Of their top 6 in minutes, Juiston who is 6'7 played the 5. Sounds like okoro was the backup center. 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

I definitely trust Ford, but getting all 3 would be a massive shakeup to the roster.  

Sounds to me that coach thinks one player is leaving, and he is telling Phil, Stockard, and Okoro that whoever wants it will need to be ready to claim it, and not wait around. 

Just now, wgstl said:

Sounds to me that coach thinks one player is leaving, and he is telling Phil, Stockard, and Okoro that whoever wants it will need to be ready to claim it, and not wait around. 

I hope you’re right. And that definitely makes sense.  

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Also if I get to choose, I’m going with okoro over stockard

My order of preference would be Okoro, Russell, Stockard. Wow, just 2 weeks ago I was praying for Stockard to transfer.

Anyone that chooses Stockard over Okoro needs their head examined. With Okoro taking the next year to recover from health issues and Linssen filling our need for an immediate big, the answer is quite clear.

Senior class of Okoro, Collins, and Hargrove has the blood flowing.

Okoro would be a huge pickup (which is probably the reason why so many big-time schools are after him). Highly touted prospect out of HS, with a connection to several of our players through BBE. Played real minutes for the best team in the Pac-12 as both a freshman and sophomore. We also now know he was battling injuries. Replacing Has is a difficult proposition, particularly replacing his ability to protect the rim. But adding a guy like Okoro has a chance to make that loss a lot more manageable. I would be ecstatic if we land him.

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

My order of preference would be Okoro, Russell, Stockard. Wow, just 2 weeks ago I was praying for Stockard to transfer.

Anyone that chooses Stockard over Okoro needs their head examined. With Okoro taking the next year to recover from health issues and Linssen filling our need for an immediate big, the answer is quite clear.

Senior class of Okoro, Collins, and Hargrove has the blood flowing.

Im starting to think Okoro was slowed down by injuries, and not high level D1 basketball. If so, with one year to fully recover, could be a massive steal. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My understanding is we’ll push Okoro for a commitment, pivot to Stockard if we don’t get it, and formally offer Russell if there is an unexpected departure.

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

My understanding is we’ll push Okoro for a commitment, pivot to Stockard if we don’t get it, and formally offer Russell if there is an unexpected departure.

i tend to agree.   but cant help but hope we arent chasing players to make this happen.    but wont deny getting a player of the potential of Okoro would be incredible.  

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Is Russell comparable to mike Lewis? Sorta sounds like it. 

A fair comp. Mike Lewis got pretty big in college. Put on a good amount of muscle. Maybe Phil would do that too? I'd say Phil buys in more on the defensive end right now. I don't remember Mike playing defense 94 feet the way Phil did at Vashon. But Vashon pressed alot. 

13 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Man, Ford has really built this team to compete for the next 3 years. 

yep, just when you think you found a weakness for a drop-off, it gets filled before it can happen. 

Are we really chasing players out, or are we waiting to see how the outcome of French and Goodwin applying for the NBA draft works out? Coaches have to cover all angles, as you all know. I think French and Goodwin will be back for next season, but I do not believe this is a 100% certain outcome. Therefore I think Ford is well served by keeping some options open, just in case he has to exercise them. Keeping options open can be done at least for a period of time.

GBL_Bills and CBFan like this