Recruiting 2015

After all all the predictions of a repeat of this year in the next season, and after all the talk of Crews leaving voluntarily or not if he shows no improvement next season, it stands to reason that Crews is aware things have not gone well for him this year and that he has to improve next season. The decision as to who comes into the team for next year is his and his alone. If he makes the wrong decision he may well be out next spring and he is aware of this. I would let him play his cards any way he wants and see if he has good results or not. He is aware that his job may depend on next season's results.

Personally, I do not think GG is the answer for next season, let's see what happens.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't even mean spirited...I guess he can't laugh at himself..

Based on those billion selfies, you think he has a sense of humor when it comes to himself?

Be proud of your blocking.

I'm with SShoe. Grandy for another year, provided he isn't a distraction, is better than a late flyer signee. What type of HS big man would SLU pull at this stage in the game? And then get stuck with that person for 4 years.

Or keep Grandy for one year as a known quantity, go into the 2016 class with multiple rides and have another year to recruit for that scholarship.

Just because Grandy is on the roster, doesn't mean he HAS to play either. If he helps win a game, fantastic. If he sits the bench, whatever.

I'm with SShoe. Grandy for another year, provided he isn't a distraction, is better than a late flyer signee. What type of HS big man would SLU pull at this stage in the game? And then get stuck with that person for 4 years.

Or keep Grandy for one year as a known quantity, go into the 2016 class with multiple rides and have another year to recruit for that scholarship.

Just because Grandy is on the roster, doesn't mean he HAS to play either. If he helps win a game, fantastic. If he sits the bench, whatever.

At the very minimum, Crews' quote to Durando that he doesn't know what will happen with Grandy shows that it is very much an option. There were many on here that said there was no way he was coming back and the same people made it sound like he was also a cancer and had a huge falling out with the team. I never picked up that sense but I had no inside info.

Count me in the group that thinks Grandy could have helped last year's team and would like to have him back again next year.

While I think Grandy might help next years team I'm against the board consenses. Grandy and Reggie offer the same thing. I would rather have the minutes go to Reggie or Welmer. As I've said before I see Reggie being a poor man's Dennis Rodman. I don't want to share those minutes.

Grandy had a senior night.

Grandy was removed from the team.

Grandy has missed significant time every season with injuries.

Grandy is not a difference maker.

Grandy should not come back.

Who is to say that GG won't reinjure the shoulder again and then what do you have. I guess if you are going to save the 2 schollies then giving him one for one year is no big deal but some on here have said that he was a problem on the team last year - why would JC bring him back then?

Some alluded to his answer meaning it is a possibility, while true it is possible, it does not seemed probable.

In today's world of privacy laws, regulations, restrictions, etc., Crews very likely cannot and does not want to comment about Grandy. Clearly, if Crews wants Grandy back, Grandy will be back. And I don't think we will see Grandy wearing a Billiken uniform. Read into this what you want. The Grandy Glaze era in over.

On a related note. We just came in last place of possibly a down year in the A10. We got blown out by Fordham and despite their young players and that game, they had another bad year and fired their coach. Whoever truly believes that Grandy Glaze and his energy levels and rebounding prowess will help us get back to being a good team just doesn't understand college basketball. Sorry, no nicer way for me to say this.

Whoever truly believes that Grandy Glaze and his energy levels and rebounding prowess will help us get back to being a good team just doesn't understand college basketball. Sorry, no nicer way for me to say this.

Well count me in as one who just doesn't understand college basketball. I saw half a dozen games we lost this past season by a handful of points, and we were outrebounded in each of them. Would Grandy have grabbed one or two or three additional boards and changed the game? Possibly yes, possibly no. Would three, four, or five more wins have made this season more enjoyable. Certainly. Would we have been a 'good' team? Depends on your definition. We certainly would have been better. Glaze averaged 4.5 rebounds in 13 minutes two seasons ago. Had he played 15 to 20 minutes a game this year, he likely would have been our leading rebounder.

I guess we don't need a solid rebounder. I guess I don't get it.

On a related note. We just came in last place of possibly a down year in the A10. We got blown out by Fordham and despite their young players and that game, they had another bad year and fired their coach. Whoever truly believes that Grandy Glaze and his energy levels and rebounding prowess will help us get back to being a good team just doesn't understand college basketball. Sorry, no nicer way for me to say this.

I don't think anyone said we'd be a 'good team' with Grandy...I think people have made it clear that they think we would've been a 'less crappy' team with him.

Well count me in as one who just doesn't understand college basketball. I saw half a dozen games we lost this past season by a handful of points, and we were outrebounded in each of them. Would Grandy have grabbed one or two or three additional boards and changed the game? Possibly yes, possibly no. Would three, four, or five more wins have made this season more enjoyable. Certainly. Would we have been a 'good' team? Depends on your definition. We certainly would have been better. Glaze averaged 4.5 rebounds in 13 minutes two seasons ago. Had he played 15 to 20 minutes a game this year, he likely would have been our leading rebounder.

In my thread " what we need to do to "B" better....One of the categories was to get 4 more rebounds / game. We still would have needed to fill the other categories to be good but that would have been (and will be) a big one.;

Does anyone else not mind keeping at least one of the scholarships open to make recruiting 2016 easier?

Crews seemed to struggle to pare down the rotation this year - maybe he'd find it easier with a roster that wasn't full. He didn't really have to figure out who his guys were the first two years, because it was more or less set in stone. I'd like to see who on this roster is actually good enough. We sank this past year, but it was hard to swim with every player getting held underwater thanks to inconsistent minutes.

Watching the NCAAs has made me realize that good teams have a solid core that gets the minutes, not unlike our tourney teams. No one rotates anywhere near the extent that we did (are there stats on a teams number of substitutions?). I know Crews said it was because no one stepped up, but I don't think he put the players in a position to succeed this past year. Having a shorter bench might force his hand somewhat.

With a healthy Glaze, he may have had 6 rebounds per game. He would have helped us bridge the gap this past year as AG and BJ simply were not ready. And as Wiz mentions, we needed rebounds. At the same time, GG provided zero offensive skill these past 3 years. Playing 4 on 5 doesnt work. Let others who migjt have offensive ability play, develop and shine. Next year will be different. We no longer will need sucha role player

Besides, the possibility of re injury (repeat dislocation or sublux of the shoulder) after surgery when engaging in high levels of arm lifting and exertion are very real. Surgery works well for normal levels of activity, not for the level of activity required from a Div 1 player. I do not think GG is a good or realistic option for our team. The discussion above seems to assume that his shoulder is fully healed and works like new. This is a completely erroneous assumption. His shoulder has been patched up and should work fine during the performance of routine daily chores. This is NOT what will be required of a Div 1 basketball player, his shoulder may likely be injured during basketball playing. Whether it gets reinjured or not during basketball play depends upon the extent of shoulder rehab he has had so far and how well it has healed. There is no way to say a priori that the shoulder will not dislocate again if he plays next year for the Bills, or anyone else for that matter.

Clock, if grandy was 100% not coming back coach would just say so. There is no privacy rule that he has to be concerned about when talking about that.

People seem to be forgetting that the grandy decision is not about whether he makes us a much better team. It's whether he's better than having an unused scholarship or a different 5th year senior transfer. Given the premium that teams put on getting average at best 5th year seniors we need to realize the chances of us getting a good one are pretty limited. As for the potential of re-injury that is basically the equivalent of having an unused scholarship.

Besides, the possibility of re injury (repeat dislocation or sublux of the shoulder) after surgery when engaging in high levels of arm lifting and exertion are very real. Surgery works well for normal levels of activity, not for the level of activity required from a Div 1 player. I do not think GG is a good or realistic option for our team. The discussion above seems to assume that his shoulder is fully healed and works like new. This is a completely erroneous assumption. His shoulder has been patched up and should work fine during the performance of routine daily chores. This is NOT what will be required of a Div 1 basketball player, his shoulder may likely be injured during basketball playing. Whether it gets reinjured or not during basketball play depends upon the extent of shoulder rehab he has had so far and how well it has healed. There is no way to say a priori that the shoulder will not dislocate again if he plays next year for the Bills, or anyone else for that matter.

I see your point but many elite and pro athletes have had surgery without further issues. Of course there are always those like DRose that are injury prone no matter what. Whatever GG's situation is, I agreee that it shouldn't be assumed he will be the Second Coming.