Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what a guy like Jordan Barnett is thinking these days. He goes off to Texas, plays 8.5 minutes per game for an underachieving team and now his coach is likely going to be fired. I'd certainly be interested in a kid like that if he became available on the transfer wire. I know others don't want to accept St. Louis kids back as transfers but to me that's just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Generally, I am not in favor of SLU being the "safe" school for every local kid who leaves, runs into adversity and then knows he can always return here with open arms. At the same time, refusing acceptance to all local transfers is equally dumb. I don't know the circumstances regarding Jordan Barnett but certainly having a coach fired is a valid reason and something beyond the kid's control.

Speaking of local transfers, how do you think Cam Biedsheid is feeling right now watching Notre Dame going to the Elite Eight?

I said it above - If we're only a 15-17 win team next year, I'd rather maybe lose one or two wins and not have Grandy take any valuable minutes away from the younger guys or even Agbeko.

I get it, you're thinking long-term. But keeping Grandy is also a long-term move, as adding talent in 2016 is just as important to the long-term health of the program as giving RA or BJ an extra 5-10 minutes per game.

I get it, you're thinking long-term. But keeping Grandy is also a long-term move, as adding talent in 2016 is just as important to the long-term health of the program as giving RA or BJ an extra 5-10 minutes per game.

No doubt. I'm just saying that I'm not 100% opposed to saving the scholarship all together. As others have mentioned, I'd want to be sure that there are no issues with Grandy. Both with his attitude and his health. And then if that's all clear and we haven't filled the scholarships, then I think you have to give him a long look. If we're dead set on using all the scholarships, he's a better option than throwing it away on some marginal player.

My opinion is that next year in the rebuilding year. This year was bottoming out.

I said it above - If we're only a 15-17 win team next year, I'd rather maybe lose one or two wins and not have Grandy take any valuable minutes away from the younger guys or even Agbeko.

I'm assuming he would average 10 or 12 minutes a game like he did as a sophomore and junior. If that's the case he would take, what, maybe five minutes away from Agbeko and another 5-7 away from Gillmann/Jolly/Welmar/Neufeld? Will that really make or break any one player's development? I doubt it. And I would sure like to suck less next year.

I'm assuming he would average 10 or 12 minutes a game like he did as a sophomore and junior. If that's the case he would take, what, maybe five minutes away from Agbeko and another 5-7 away from Gillmann/Jolly/Welmar/Neufeld? Will that really make or break any one player's development? I doubt it. And I would sure like to suck less next year.

I have no idea if it would stunt development, but I'd rather see what we have in the young guys. I know what we have in Glaze.

We will be better next year, but I don't see a difference in say 15-15 or 17-13. Others may because one is a winning record but no postseason is no postseason to me.

If he's back, I won't be upset. If he leaves, I won't be upset. The other guys on the team are way more important for our future.

No doubt. I'm just saying that I'm not 100% opposed to saving the scholarship all together. As others have mentioned, I'd want to be sure that there are no issues with Grandy. Both with his attitude and his health. And then if that's all clear and we haven't filled the scholarships, then I think you have to give him a long look. If we're dead set on using all the scholarships, he's a better option than throwing it away on some marginal player.

My opinion is that next year in the rebuilding year. This year was bottoming out.

Fair point, but if Grandy can help us win even 1 extra game next, then I think it's worth bringing him back.

Fair point, but if Grandy can help us win even 1 extra game next, then I think it's worth bringing him back.

I guess that's where I disagree. I see both sides, but I'm just of the opinion that making some type of postseason is all that matters. Now maybe he's the difference between nothing and the CBI. If that's the case, then I'm all for it.

I don't know, but we just have 2 schollies to give this year and if you use both on high schoolers, then you only have 1 for 2016, as Ash will be the only senior. If you can truly find difference makers via the Juco or high school route, then great, but I'm more than OK using 1 on a high school player or Juco and giving Grandy the other, assuming he is not considered a problem.

Yeah, I'm down with the 5th year senior thing. I said in another thread that I'd prefer a PG in that role...if we can land one.

BUT, if we can't fill that '5th year' slot (with McBroom's schollie) OR bring in a Freshman worthy of a spot (Lancona's schollie) we'll have 3 left over for 2016. If that's an absolutely loaded high school class I'm okay with doing that, but, outside the area's Top 5, I don't have much of an insight.

I have no idea if it would stunt development, but I'd rather see what we have in the young guys. I know what we have in Glaze.

We will be better next year, but I don't see a difference in say 15-15 or 17-13. Others may because one is a winning record but no postseason is no postseason to me.

If he's back, I won't be upset. If he leaves, I won't be upset. The other guys on the team are way more important for our future.

Unfortunately, 17-13 may be CBI worthy

Speaking of local transfers, how do you think Cam Biedsheid is feeling right now watching Notre Dame going to the Elite Eight?

hahahaha, this totally hadn't occurred to me. i hope he's chugging nyquil over that one. moran.

you know what i want from someone else, if not from grandy? his willingness and desire to rebound. at 6'5", he said his goal was to average double digit rebounds. he averaged 4.5 in 12.9 minutes last year. that's mad hateful.

agbeko is quietly showing that he has what it takes. i saw no indication that gillman, jolly, lancona or manning were concerned about it. our best rebounders last year were two guards.

i want a BOARDS BEAST. if grandy wants to come back and be our BOARDS BEAST, then fuok yeah, he can have a spot.

-I don't know the details around GG not being around but I am surprised that JCrews has allowed that the door could possibly swing open, if GG is not part of the cancer and wants to and can contribute then bring him back

-could the comment about not filling both schollies mean we don't have quality to fill both? if so, I am okay with that as better to leave open then put someone that won't contribute on scholarship

-as to Tyler Cook, I thought it was reported on here that he was more interested in leaving town for college? either way I hope he is taking the offseason to work on scoring away from the basket