Recruiting 2015

One way or another, we will have at least 2 open scholarships for 2016

Right. Assuming that nobody else transfers you will have a sophomore class of 6 guys. It is hard for me to imagine that all 6 of those guys will be on the team for their junior seasons. On paper there are a lot of guys with limited versatility competing for minutes in the post even with the departure of Lancona (that is assuming Milik is not capable of playing the 3). Depending on what we do with the two scholarships that opened up, there could be a similar situation at the 1/2. It will be real interesting to see how these kids look next fall.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard we may score 2 JUCO's. The kid at Vincennes that everyone wants is Mychal Mulder: who I think if we could get him, he would immediately become our leading scorer. But everyone wants him, including places like Wichita. On the other hand both Crews and Calbert have strong southern Indiana ties. Who knows?? maybe the package deal could include Mulder AND Foster. if only it were so . . . . But yes, no doubt we would want instant offense, and so it's no surprise that I've heard we may go the route of 1 or even 2 JUCOS...

I'm surprised the staff is looking at jucos considering SLU's lack of success at landing them. What little juco success we've had has been with guards, so there is that. With all this juco talk all of a sudden, I assume the Jahshire Hardnett ship has sailed.

Seems like we are reeling here....

The promise of immediate playing time for a high-mid level PG like Hardnett should have been a good selling point. But Kevin Ollie saying that Hardnett is going to be the next Boatright is tough to overcome.

It does seems like we are setting our sights high and competing with the big boys. Jury is out on if this strategy pays off.

Seems like we are reeling here....

The promise of immediate playing time for a high-mid level PG like Hardnett should have been a good selling point. But Kevin Ollie saying that Hardnett is going to be the next Boatright is tough to overcome.

It does seems like we are setting our sights high and competing with the big boys. Jury is out on if this strategy pays off.

Are you saying UConn has offered? From I could gather, it looks like they only have some "interest" at this point. He is visiting Sandusky U this weekend. It would be nice if we could get him to visit. We can offer an immediate starting job for any decent PG.

I like Bartley and he is our starting PG now, but we also don't exactly have a lot of options there right now either. As RM showed us, it is nice to have multiple guys who can run the offense, facilitate, etc. Bartley did not play PG in high school. He can develop into it, but we still need help at PG, IMO. Bartley did prove to be a good 3-point shooter and could be very effective playing alongside a good playmaker.

I like Bartley and he is our starting PG now, but we also don't exactly have a lot of options there right now either. As RM showed us, it is nice to have multiple guys who can run the offense, facilitate, etc. Bartley did not play PG in high school. He can develop into it, but we still need help at PG, IMO. Bartley did prove to be a good 3-point shooter and could be very effective playing alongside a good playmaker.

I saw Bartley play twice in person in HS and he was the primary ballhandler for his team. He played inside on defense.

I saw Bartley play twice in person in HS and he was the primary ballhandler for his team. He played inside on defense.

I also saw him play once, over in Collinsville. He played on a bad team and looked like the tallest guy on his team. I got the sense that he was the primary scorer and ballhandler because his team had few other options and they didn't exactly run a structured offense. I'm a fan of Bartley's and correctly predicted he would play a bigger role than MR, but I'm not surprised he had a period of adjustment trying to play the point at the college level. He has good court vision and looks like a kid who can grow into it, but he just doesn't strike me as a natural PG.

This may have been noted: Matt Neufeld made Canada's "Biosteel All Canadian" list that includes canada's top 25.

I've been high on Neufeld ever since he committed. He seems like the real deal, a true center that will grind it out in the paint. He plays for one of the best prep teams in the country. However, the pessimistic crowd continues to insinuate that he will be no different than Jolly or Gillman. I strongly disagree, but we will see how it plays out.

I've been high on Neufeld ever since he committed. He seems like the real deal, a true center that will grind it out in the paint. He plays for one of the best prep teams in the country. However, the pessimistic crowd continues to insinuate that he will be no different than Jolly or Gillman. I strongly disagree, but we will see how it plays out.

How many people have really made that argument?

Yea, general distrust in Crews recruiting is why I am skeptical about Neufeld. I dont even think I've seen a youtube video of him.

I prefer more of a quick, short, spark plug type of PG who does not turn it over but plays above average D.

If MB can stop turning the ball over, run the offense, and guard the opposing PG, then that would be great and I would be on board. Have not seen evidence of that yet.

Has anyone ever watched Bartley take a screen?

Yes, he doesn't really take them at all. He's also a beanpole and turns the ball over too much. But I disagree with this sentiment that we have a massive hole at PG, we must recruit one immediately, and that recruit would then step in and play major minutes next season.

Also feels like Bartley can't be a PG because he's 6-4, and SLU doesn't get 6-4 PG's. Similarly, Neufeld can't be good as a freshman because SLU doesn't get bigs who are good as freshman.

Yes, he doesn't really take them at all. He's also a beanpole and turns the ball over too much. But I disagree with this sentiment that we have a massive hole at PG, we must recruit one immediately, and that recruit would then step in and play major minutes next season.

Also feels like Bartley can't be a PG because he's 6-4, and SLU doesn't get 6-4 PG's. Similarly, Neufeld can't be good as a freshman because SLU doesn't get bigs who are good as freshman.

You need to recruit one because you have to have more than one person on your roster that can run an offense and at present we have no one on the roster that has shown the ability to run an offense. That doesn't mean that Bartley or someone else on the roster cant develop to fill that role, but you can't count on it.

Bartley only turns over the ball 1.4 times in 19 min a game and that's with being the frailest SLU guard I've ever seen. I see taking care of the ball as one of his potential strengths. What he lacks is creativity as a ballhandler. I do share your concern about his ability to defend quick guards. Even if Bartley doubles his scoring average, I wouldn't be comfortable with him playing 30 min a game for that reason.

I am going further than the numbers though. The only reason he does not turn it over is bc he rarely tries to attack. A PG should penetrate the D and then kick. He penetrated on extremely rare occasion, maybe never.

I would have a low TO rate too if I just stood at the top of the key and swung the ball.

You need to recruit one because you have to have more than one person on your roster that can run an offense and at present we have no one on the roster that has shown the ability to run an offense. That doesn't mean that Bartley or someone else on the roster cant develop to fill that role, but you can't count on it.

I would try to have at least 3 PG's (or guys who can legitimately play it) on the roster at all times - spread out over years, or course. For instance, having Kwamain, then Jett and McCall, then Carter (4 guys without counting others who could fill in). Don't forget, we also had McBroom so RM clearly was never at a loss for a PG. Same can also be said for Spoonhour -- he always was loaded with guards - including PGs.

I would try to have at least 3 PG's (or guys who can legitimately play it) on the roster at all times - spread out over years, or course. For instance, having Kwamain, then Jett and McCall, then Carter (4 guys without counting others who could fill in). Don't forget, we also had McBroom so RM clearly was never at a loss for a PG. Same can also be said for Spoonhour -- he always was loaded with guards - including PGs.

+ 1...the loss of Keith Carter killed us this season

Here is your 5th year transfer post player, Mockevicius 6'10" center from Evansville. He will graduate this spring with one year eligibility left. Crews' old school, Chaney's home town......get 'em guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/2026171/egidijus-mockevicius

give me that kid all day. He was a beast in the MVC tourney!!!

Here is your 5th year transfer post player, Mockevicius 6'10" center from Evansville. He will graduate this spring with one year eligibility left. Crews' old school, Chaney's home town......get 'em guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/2026171/egidijus-mockevicius

Id take him in a heart beat but I'd assume he goes to play pro ball back home or he can pick up a lower level BCS/tournament team offer as a one year guy.

And that is just If he transfers which isn't known yet since they are still playing.

One name that might be a good fit is Max Bielfeldt who is going to be leaving Mixhigan most likely. Solid big man that could fill a gap. Not a game changer but would provide 20 solid minutes a game.