Recruiting 2015

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know much about basketball, but I know about public announcements. You cannot reach conclusions about public announcements that are purposely vague. You simply do not know the reason for the vagueness.

The announcements on McBroom and Lancona came pretty quick and pretty un-vague, from both their side and Crews' side. The announcement on Glaze was very different and very vague. I don't think it takes black helicopters to wonder whether that means there's a chance he maybe comes back after all.

The announcements on McBroom and Lancona came pretty quick and pretty un-vague, from both their side and Crews' side. The announcement on Glaze was very different and very vague. I don't think it takes black helicopters to wonder whether that means there's a chance he maybe comes back after all.

I was not referring to the announcements that TL and AM were out, I was referring to the purposely vague tweet about GG that apparently opened a crack in the door and caused a lot of speculation about GG coming back. Agree the announcements about TL and AM were straightforward, came from them largely.

Josh Cunningham, 6'7" forward from Chicago, announced he is transferring from Bradley. Averaged 7.6 and 7.6 as a freshman this past season. Just saw Milik retweet the announcement.

He was highly recruited out of high school and it was a bit of a surprise that he chose Bradley. I seem to recall we were in the recruiting mix for him as well. Those are impressive rebounding numbers for a freshman. Sounds like he probably knows MY a bit. May be a long shot, but certainly worth a phone call.

I was not referring to the announcements that TL and AM were out, I was referring to the purposely vague tweet about GG that apparently opened a crack in the door and caused a lot of speculation about GG coming back. Agree the announcements about TL and AM were straightforward, came from them largely.

Yeah seriously but how does a black helicopter help determine if he might come back? Is he missing in the woods and we need to do some FRIES/SPIES to get him back to campus?

I could see us pursuing him or another 2015 player. The 2016 scholarships will take care of themselves, we will probably have at least one transfer next year to keep 2 schollies open. It's worth a shot.

I can't imagine Cunningham is going to be available very long. I'm already chipper about the Bishop commitment. A 6'7 skywalker with perimeter skills transferring in would be too good to be true.

He was highly recruited out of high school and it was a bit of a surprise that he chose Bradley. I seem to recall we were in the recruiting mix for him as well. Those are impressive rebounding numbers for a freshman. Sounds like he probably knows MY a bit. May be a long shot, but certainly worth a phone call.

HUGE long shot...schools like Indiana offered. After seeing the mass exodus at schools like Bradley and SIUC, plus Mizzou losing it's top gun and perhaps more, Crews at least deserves credit for stability. Yes a couple players left but sounds like it was the best for all concerned.

Cunningham is going where ever his personal pimp, Chin Coleman lands an assistant job. Most likely DePaul. And I don't think he's worth the trouble.

This makes sense.

And yes, SLU was involved for a while with Cunningham. Not sure if we ever offered, though. There were a lot of schools in the mix at that point representing a huge range. I was surprised he ended up at Bradley, but I guess the Coleman connection was too strong.

Interesting comment by John Rothstein yesterday.

Sources have told CBSSports.com that this is likely the last year that graduate transfers will be allowed to switch schools and not sit out, which would make these next few months the last time schools add "free agents" in college basketball.

Sources have told CBSSports.com that this is likely the last year that graduate transfers will be allowed to switch schools and not sit out, which would make these next few months the last time schools add "free agents" in college basketball.

Good. While the rule had good intentions it was abused non-stop and had a lot of unintended consequences. I saw today that Dylan Ennis, who averaged 10 PPG for Villanova intended to transfer under that rule. What makes a major contributor on a top 5 team want to transfer other than coaches from other schools poaching him?

This makes sense.

And yes, SLU was involved for a while with Cunningham. Not sure if we ever offered, though. There were a lot of schools in the mix at that point representing a huge range. I was surprised he ended up at Bradley, but I guess the Coleman connection was too strong.

His mom was a Bradley alum too which helped. He was between Iowa State, Indiana, and Bradley as his final choices. I am sure there will be $ome of the same with his re-recruitment this time around.

Good. While the rule had good intentions it was abused non-stop and had a lot of unintended consequences. I saw today that Dylan Ennis, who averaged 10 PPG for Villanova intended to transfer under that rule. What makes a major contributor on a top 5 team want to transfer other than coaches from other schools poaching him?

It would be interesting to find out how many of these 5th year transfers actually obtain a Master's Degree from their new school. My bet is that the percentage if pretty low.

Who cares why they are transferring? If they have their degrees let them play where they want to play right away. Why should they have to be a slave to a school for another year?

Why does having a degree mean you should be a free agent?

-I heard Mike Kelly, who is the Mizzou play by play announcer, on KMOX earlier this week talk about a movement among the coaches wanting to do something to turn back the tide of the increasing number of transfers so this fits that comment (came from a discussion about Mizzou's best player leaving)

-the counter-point, you ignorant , is that coaches leave, sometimes with sanctions on the way, and they have no restrictions on going to another school

-will be interesting to see what they do

Why does having a degree mean you should be a free agent?

I think a player that earns his degree should have the freedom to decide where to play. The NCAA produces commercial after commercial about how it is all about scholar athletes. People who actually complete the scholar part of the equation should have the same freedom to change schools as the coaches who are paid by those schools.

What is smart about the NCAA deciding to exert additional control over athletes in today's environment?

I don't mind the current rule if a guy has stayed at one school, but the AM type of situation just doesn't sit right. I'm not really disappointed about him leaving, but a kid who starts at one school, then transfers to another, sits out a year, plays two, graduates and then gets to move on to a third school just doesn't seem right. The school that accepted him in the first place invested a year of his education while he was sitting out. The school got no benefit on the court as the kid moves closer to getting his degree and can then use that degree to bolt from the school that invested in him.

It seems to me, the rule should not apply to a kid who has already transferred once. If you want to transfer to a third school, sit out a year.

I think a player that earns his degree should have the freedom to decide where to play. The NCAA produces commercial after commercial about how it is all about scholar athletes. People who actually complete the scholar part of the equation should have the same freedom to change schools as the coaches who are paid by those schools.

What is smart about the NCAA deciding to exert additional control over athletes in today's environment?

Exert additional control? Until a few years ago this rule didn't exist so this isn't exactly the NCAA changing a 100 year old policy here. They created a rule that had good intentions (allow players to leave who legitimately can't get a desired degree) and like many good things it has been abused by those using it as a loophole.

From the schools perspective, the three most common ways a player ends up graduating and still having a year of eligibility:

- Player gets redshirted

- Player gets injured

- Player transfers from another school and has to sit out

In all three of these scenarios, the school is paying for a year of education and getting nothing in return. How are they rewarded for it? By having the player leave right before their most productive season.