Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Pistol

OT: Midtown Development

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, davidnark said:

Some form of concert venue would be a great reuse. Sitting a block or two from the Grand Center theater district also makes it fit. There are a fair amount of small to mid-sized concert venues, particularly in the Delmar Loop. This makes me wonder whether a small to mid-sized venue that targets a specific genre (e.g. Blues, Jazz, etc.) would be the ideal solution. 

Joe should buy it and re-route his trolley to connect the two venues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I think Ted and Teiko's was a little bit to the east, closer to Golde's (back then)/Dierbergs (now).

thanks true now that I think of it and some of the above places probably overlap T&T existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Old guy said:

I really think the closing of the Moolah will unfortunately not be an isolated event.

Not nearly as sad but looks like both The Melting Pot in U-City and the Stir Crazy in Creve Coeur have announced their closures are permanent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a chef on a news program - sorry I don't remember who but he apparently has owned several different restaurants over the years including now - and he said that he is in group communications with other chefs like him and they believe that only 1 -5 (not chains) will probably reopen.  He said that given that many places will be limited in their seating that they simply can not make it so why bother to reopen.  It would be better to just start over once things have become normalized whenever that happens.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, almaman said:

that little diner been there before many of us :) still never been. on the Big Bear spot is that where Ted & Tieko's was ?

That diner is awful. I have no idea how it stays open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

I heard a chef on a news program - sorry I don't remember who but he apparently has owned several different restaurants over the years including now - and he said that he is in group communications with other chefs like him and they believe that only 1 -5 (not chains) will probably reopen.  He said that given that many places will be limited in their seating that they simply can not make it so why bother to reopen.  It would be better to just start over once things have become normalized whenever that happens.  I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Outdoor seating is the key - sidewalks, into parking lots, I would rather sit close outdoors today and all by myself indoors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

that moolah building is historic and a treasure.   a lot of history and love for us shriners is there.    hopefully someone makes a go of it or finds a different purpose for it.    i'm still a little peeved the moolah shriners abandoned that location to move to a school complex in the burbs.   

Congrats Roy.  You and your fellow Shriners do soooooo many good things.   

And can you give a short update.  How much did the Shrine make on the sale of the temple by SLU?   And from the sale of hospital land on Lindbergh by Frontenac.  And where do your fundraising dollars now go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Outdoor seating is the key - sidewalks, into parking lots, I would rather sit close outdoors today and all by myself indoors.

That is fine possibly for now but what do you do when it gets colder and when it rains.  Many places simply do not have outdoor seating options.  I am sure they will all be factoring this in when they finally make their decisions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thetorch said:

That diner is awful. I have no idea how it stays open.

you've been?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thetorch said:

That diner is awful. I have no idea how it stays open.

You talking about Tiffany’s ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Congrats Roy.  You and your fellow Shriners do soooooo many good things.   

And can you give a short update.  How much did the Shrine make on the sale of the temple by SLU?   And from the sale of hospital land on Lindbergh by Frontenac.  And where do your fundraising dollars now go?

the shriners only have one charity after temple expenses.   shriners hospital for children.   we have a lot of hospitals worldwide not just the hospital in midtown.

you do know that no patient's family ever pays a cent for care and treatment.  yes we will take insurance money but never a cent from a patient's family.   

as to the sale of the temple by slu, i am not a member of moolah.   i am a member of ainad temple in east st louis.   but you do know moolah purchased an old school in west county and moved there right?   so my guess is they probably came out on the short end of the move.   but i admit i dont know.   the sale of the hospital in frontenac all went to the new hospital next to barnes.   the frontenac facility was badly antiquated and dated technologywise.  it needed to be replaced.   the new hospital is fabulous.   and by moving back to the barnes campus, the cooperation with doctors and care givers from both barnes and childrens became so much easier.   it was a win for everyone.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, almaman said:

you've been?

Yes, unfortunately.  It has a small loyal customer base and caters to the all night crowd but its so small and the food is really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

the shriners only have one charity after temple expenses.   shriners hospital for children.   we have a lot of hospitals worldwide not just the hospital in midtown.

you do know that no patient's family ever pays a cent for care and treatment.  yes we will take insurance money but never a cent from a patient's family.   

as to the sale of the temple by slu, i am not a member of moolah.   i am a member of ainad temple in east st louis.   but you do know moolah purchased an old school in west county and moved there right?   so my guess is they probably came out on the short end of the move.   but i admit i dont know.   the sale of the hospital in frontenac all went to the new hospital next to barnes.   the frontenac facility was badly antiquated and dated technologywise.  it needed to be replaced.   the new hospital is fabulous.   and by moving back to the barnes campus, the cooperation with doctors and care givers from both barnes and childrens became so much easier.   it was a win for everyone.   

 

The shriners and their hospitals do a tremendous amount of good work for children everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

the shriners only have one charity after temple expenses.   shriners hospital for children.   we have a lot of hospitals worldwide not just the hospital in midtown.

you do know that no patient's family ever pays a cent for care and treatment.  yes we will take insurance money but never a cent from a patient's family.   

as to the sale of the temple by slu, i am not a member of moolah.   i am a member of ainad temple in east st louis.   but you do know moolah purchased an old school in west county and moved there right?   so my guess is they probably came out on the short end of the move.   but i admit i dont know.   the sale of the hospital in frontenac all went to the new hospital next to barnes.   the frontenac facility was badly antiquated and dated technologywise.  it needed to be replaced.   the new hospital is fabulous.   and by moving back to the barnes campus, the cooperation with doctors and care givers from both barnes and childrens became so much easier.   it was a win for everyone.   

 

Am I correct in thinking they treat all sorts of children's ailments but historically have had a focus on burn victims? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burn care units are a very specialized and labor intensive type of care that require a very specific team approach from different areas, particularly PT. When you have a little child with extensive burns, the treatment becomes even harder. The Shriner's hospitals provide excellent care for such cases all over. They are also very good with child orthopedic issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Compton said:

Am I correct in thinking they treat all sorts of children's ailments but historically have had a focus on burn victims? 

Here in st louis, and most of the hospitals for Shriners, the focus is mainly orthopedic.   other hospitals have different specialties.  Chicago specializes in spinal cord issues, cleft palate and lips, and orthopedics as well.  Cincy is a burn center.  galveston is a burn center hospital.  i know boston is a burn center hospital.   but like i said, the majority of the hospitals do mainly orthopedics.   there are 22 hospitals in total.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Here in st louis, and most of the hospitals for Shriners, the focus is mainly orthopedic.   other hospitals have different specialties.  Chicago specializes in spinal cord issues, cleft palate and lips, and orthopedics as well.  Cincy is a burn center.  galveston is a burn center hospital.  i know boston is a burn center hospital.   but like i said, the majority of the hospitals do mainly orthopedics.   there are 22 hospitals in total.  

How many Shriners are there ? Locally? And do you ever get to drive the little cars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, willie said:

How many Shriners are there ? Locally? And do you ever get to drive the little cars?

Ainad, my temple has about a little less than 4,000.  our borders are approximately highway 70 to the north, the indiana border the kentucky border and the missouri border. 

not to brag, 😄 but i will be the Potentate (think president) in 2025.   i was recently named to the Divan (think board of Directors and the line to become the Potentate) .

Moolah like has as many or close to it that Ainad has.   missouri split in half with Ararat Temple in Kansas City and Moolah in St Louis.  

there are about 200 Temples worldwide and about 400,000 shriners total.  

the little cars.  grrrrrrrrrr.   i play a soprano bugle (think trumpet only slightly higher pitch) in the world champion Ainad Drum and Bugle Corps.   we are the current 14 time (consecutive) world champion Shriner Drum and Bugle Corps.

the shriners that drive the little cars are the shriners that dont have a talent.  (j/K mobile units)    "do you play an instrument?"   no    "do you sing or can you dance or march?"  no  "well do you think you can ride a go cart?"   yeah.   ok you are in the little cars unit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know if you have made the math or not but with 400,000 shriners total worldwide, your temple with 4,000 represents 1% of the total number of the world wide total. So your temple is pretty large. If all members were evenly spread throughout the world the average % of members per temple would be 0.5%. Congratulations in advance for your promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not know if you have made the math or not but with 400,000 shriners total worldwide, your temple with 4,000 represents 1% of the total number of the world wide total. So your temple is pretty large. If all members were evenly spread throughout the world the average % of members per temple would be 0.5%. Congratulations in advance for your promotion.

yes we are among the 10 largest Temples in the world.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I do not know if you have made the math or not but with 400,000 shriners total worldwide, your temple with 4,000 represents 1% of the total number of the world wide total. So your temple is pretty large. If all members were evenly spread throughout the world the average % of members per temple would be 0.5%. Congratulations in advance for your promotion.

tenor.gif?itemid=3938292

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, thetorch said:

Yes, unfortunately.  It has a small loyal customer base and caters to the all night crowd but its so small and the food is really bad.

I'm pretty sure the regulars still puff cigs inside too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2020 at 9:38 AM, brianstl said:

I always thought it could make a great concert venue.  

If you want to see some cool pictures of what midtown looked like in the late 70's and read about the history of the area, here is the link to the area's nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.  The pictures start on page 43.

https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/78003392.pdf

Fun fact: On page 63 of this PDF, you can see a small gothic-style building to the left of the Continental (Superman) building.  The building - the Wagoner Mortuary - was demolished to make way for a parking garage, but its facade was preserved and is in storage at the National Building Arts Center over on the East Side.  Hopefully someday it will be put back into use as part of a new building.

Also, the Steak 'n Egg Kitchen (page 47) looked like it was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...