OT: Midtown Development

Pistol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that moolah building is historic and a treasure.   a lot of history and love for us shriners is there.    hopefully someone makes a go of it or finds a different purpose for it.    i'm still a little peeved the moolah shriners abandoned that location to move to a school complex in the burbs.   

I always thought it could make a great concert venue.  

If you want to see some cool pictures of what midtown looked like in the late 70's and read about the history of the area, here is the link to the area's nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.  The pictures start on page 43.

https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/78003392.pdf

TheChosenOne likes this

Just now, brianstl said:

If you want to see some cool pictures of what midtown looked like in the late 70's and read about the history of the area, here is the link to the area's nomination to the National Register of Historic Places.  The pictures start on page 43.

in the late 60's early 70's there were probably 3-4 times the number of shriners there are today.    moolah would have been hopping as they and Ainad (Illinois version locally which i am a part of) were a top 10 Temples in the world back then.  both outstanding buildings.   the cost to replicate the ornate detail would never be done in today's world.   

brianstl and TheChosenOne like this

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Not midtown, but just heard the Dubliner in Maplewood will not reopen.  I had never been to that location, but I liked the original one downtown that closed about 5 years ago.

Nothing seems to last in that spot on Sutton.

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

its like the 4th restaurant in that spot in the last 7-8 years. 

Went there for St pattys day 2 years ago(?) around 3 pm and we were the only ones there. That was odd. 

18 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I work in Maplewood. It’s so weird because people are always out and walking around out there, you’d think that location would get pretty good business. But you’re right, nothing seems to last.

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Went there for St pattys day 2 years ago(?) around 3 pm and we were the only ones there. That was odd. 

There's a spot on Manchester in Glendale that also seems cursed. It was a bank, Super Smokers, Boston Market, Psghettis, and now I'm pretty sure it's some same day surgery center ( @Box and Won?) 

48 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Some form of concert venue would be a great reuse. Sitting a block or two from the Grand Center theater district also makes it fit. There are a fair amount of small to mid-sized concert venues, particularly in the Delmar Loop. This makes me wonder whether a small to mid-sized venue that targets a specific genre (e.g. Blues, Jazz, etc.) would be the ideal solution. 

36 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Agreed. Strange Donuts is one of the only staples on that street that stays open. I'm also a big fan of a newer place doing curbside right now. The Living Room. Across the street from The Dubliner. 

34 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

There's a spot on Manchester in Glendale that also seems cursed. It was a bank, Super Smokers, Boston Market, Psghettis, and now I'm pretty sure it's some same day surgery center ( @Box and Won?) 

where jgreens is across the street is not much different too.  Luckily Jgreens seems to have had better success. I loved that big bear place. 

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

where jgreens is across the street is not much different too.  Luckily Jgreens seems to have had better success. I loved that big bear place. 

Exactly. Before Big Bear it was a local chain bar and grill  and it's really bothering me that I can't remember the name right now.

5 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Exactly. Before Big Bear it was a local chain bar and grill  and it's really bothering me that I can't remember the name right now.

It was a Krieger's before Big Bear.  Big Bear had a decent run.  J. Greene's is much better though - as a few of you guys know, that place is my go to.  If any of you live in the area, I hope you'll give them some support during this crazy time.  I'd pretty much be devastated if they went out of business.

1 minute ago, Box and Won said:

It was a Krieger's before Big Bear.  Big Bear had a decent run.  J. Greene's is much better though - as a few of you guys know, that place is my go to.  If any of you live in the area, I hope you'll give them some support during this crazy time.  I'd pretty much be devastated if they went out of business.

Yes, Kriegers! Thank you.

Good to know they're open for pick up. I'll have to place an order this week.

13 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

J. Greene's is much better though - as a few of you guys know, that place is my go to.  If any of you live in the area, I hope you'll give them some support during this crazy time.  I'd pretty much be devastated if they went out of business.

I drive by that place all the time, but haven’t eaten there. Maybe once when it was Kriegers. Anyway, while I have my own list of favorites I’m trying to support, I’ll consider checking that out. I glanced at the menu, and the Jameson BBQ sauce they use made me think of probably the best meal I had in Ireland last year, so that’s intriguing.

39 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I’ll give it a try. Recommendations?

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

You would've gone in '19. They rushed to open it before St. Patrick's, had zero word of mouth and fell flat on their face. It was doomed from the start.

I lived 1 block off Manchester in Maplewood from 13-17. Area is hopping but very few shops and restaurants remained open that entire time. It's not just that location. It is the whole street.

My wife and I went on our 2nd date to a midnight showing of the Big Lebowski at Moolah. She wore a cocktail dress I showed up dressed like Walter. She hated the movie but married me anyway. Damn shame it's closed.

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I’ll give it a try. Recommendations?

Great!

Their menu isn't quite as extensive right now as it usually is, but here's what I like:

Turkey club - which I just had for lunch

Burgers - smashburger-style, I usually get a double

Pulled pork sandwich

I hear their fish and chips are good, but have never had it.

On Sundays, their fried chicken special is really good and you get a ton of food.

The owners/employees are super nice, and they have always been very accommodating when it comes to watching SLU games there.

JMM28 likes this

35 minutes ago, thetorch said:

My wife and I went on our 2nd date to a midnight showing of the Big Lebowski at Moolah. She wore a cocktail dress I showed up dressed like Walter. She hated the movie but married me anyway. Damn shame it's closed.

Ha I went to a midnight showing of Big Lebowski at Moolah as well. I don't recall the exact year but 2008 makes sense since that would be the 10 year anniversary. Pounded white Russians the entire movie.

JohnnyJumpUp and Reinert310 like this

51 minutes ago, thetorch said:

You would've gone in '19. They rushed to open it before St. Patrick's, had zero word of mouth and fell flat on their face. It was doomed from the start.

I lived 1 block off Manchester in Maplewood from 13-17. Area is hopping but very few shops and restaurants remained open that entire time. It's not just that location. It is the whole street.

that little diner been there before many of us :) still never been. on the Big Bear spot is that where Ted & Tieko's was ?

34 minutes ago, almaman said:

that little diner been there before many of us :) still never been. on the Big Bear spot is that where Ted & Tieko's was ?

I think Ted and Teiko's was a little bit to the east, closer to Golde's (back then)/Dierbergs (now).