2024-25 Roster

10 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-does a player have to go through the portal to transfer? for instance could the Ind St guys just end up at SLU?

If Tucker Devries entered the portal, I think that means you have to

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana State didn't really have a center to back up Avila. If he would have been injured, they would not have been the same team. Kent was the 4. IF, we get Avila and Kent, there needs to be at least one more big who can play and ideally 2. The players that have committed to Indiana State are forwards. The kid from Canada has size and athleticism. It will be interesting  to see if any of them come to SLU. 

14 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

Indiana State didn't really have a center to back up Avila. If he would have been injured, they would not have been the same team. Kent was the 4. IF, we get Avila and Kent, there needs to be at least one more big who can play and ideally 2. The players that have committed to Indiana State are forwards. The kid from Canada has size and athleticism. It will be interesting  to see if any of them come to SLU. 

Avilas gonna play 30 mpg, that’s a lot for a center. It’ll be hard to find a forrester if you will who will only play 10 or less. It’ll likely be a project like a Bruce or maybe the 6’11 recruit he has signed currently 

12 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

You would think that any player who has committed or already played for Schertz in the MVC at ISU in Terra Haute would be excited to follow him to the A10 in St. Louis.

Unless he's a farmboy and doesn't like the big city....... 

On the last @Midtown Madness we did a very quick combination of who we'd keep from each roster and ended up with:

Avila
Swope
Conwell
Kent

Larry
Jimerson
Thames
Curcic
Hughes
Williford
Nitu
Birmingham
Alderink

The last 4 are signed HS players, Williford to SLU and the other 3 to ISU.

This team would be very expensive but would win the A10. The incoming players and Curcic would be nice values to round out the roster and keep the budget somewhat realistic.

I guess this also means Jaden Schertz would walk on.

I also realize that we wouldn't have much positional depth behind Avila but this was an unplanned exercise.

28 minutes ago, Pistol said:

On the last @Midtown Madness we did a very quick combination of who we'd keep from each roster and ended up with:

Avila
Swope
Conwell
Kent

Larry
Jimerson
Thames
Curcic
Hughes
Williford
Nitu
Birmingham
Alderink

This team would be very expensive but would win the A10. The incoming players and Curcic would be nice values to round out the roster and keep the budget somewhat realistic.

I also realize that we wouldn't have much positional depth behind Avila but this was an unplanned exercise.

-I wonder if Thames could be a backup point 5 in CJS's system?

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-I wonder if Thames could be a backup point 5 in CJS's system?

while thames is a fantastic athlete, the bad turnovers and fouls he had this past season tells me he isnt "point" anything material.  he is a wing with good rebounding skills.  just my opinion and i would love for him to prove me wrong.   

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Avila
Swope
Conwell
Kent

Larry
Jimerson
Thames
Curcic
Hughes
Williford
Nitu
Birmingham
Alderink

Haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but that is exactly the list I would come up with.  I have a feeling that one or two of the ISU starters and one or two of the recruits might not come over.  I predict we have three spots to fill with either additional freshmen or additional transfers.

Pistol likes this

So where do we stand on incoming freshmen for next year? I think we had 1 new Billiken, when will we know if he’s still coming? How about ISU incoming freshmen? Are they still bound for Terre Haute, or would some consider following the new coach? I presume if Coach Schertz wanted them at ISU for his system, he would want them for SLU. Realistically this will probably take some time to play out, what do people think is a realistic timeframe to know if they are coming to SLU or not? 2 weeks? Within the month?

6 hours ago, Pistol said:

Avila
Swope
Conwell
Kent

Larry
Jimerson
Thames
Curcic
Hughes
Williford
Nitu
Birmingham
Alderink

Random Note - the recruits listed above (Nitu, Alderink, Birmingham, and Williford) are all lefties... unless every piece of film on each of them is mirrored or something...

On 4/8/2024 at 7:40 PM, wgstl said:

Avilas gonna play 30 mpg, that’s a lot for a center. It’ll be hard to find a forrester if you will who will only play 10 or less. It’ll likely be a project like a Bruce or maybe the 6’11 recruit he has signed currently 

I think it's difficult because Schertz needs a stretch but that can shoot the ball. A guy like SVB or Bruce would not be it, even if they did develop.

A 6 8 shooting forward like Hargrove would be more effective backing up Avila due to the style. Hello Kellen Thames??

If Thames can develop his passing game I could see him serving that role. Otherwise we have to hope to find a guy. But 7ft isn't as much of a requirement as the ability to be patient, pass well, and shoot the ball effectively.

29 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I think it's difficult because Schertz needs a stretch but that can shoot the ball. A guy like SVB or Bruce would not be it, even if they did develop.

A 6 8 shooting forward like Hargrove would be more effective backing up Avila due to the style. Hello Kellen Thames??

If Thames can develop his passing game I could see him serving that role. Otherwise we have to hope to find a guy. But 7ft isn't as much of a requirement as the ability to be patient, pass well, and shoot the ball effectively.

Hargrove was only 6’5”.  We need another player to backup Avila that is actually 6’8”, that is not Thames.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:40 PM, wgstl said:

So if Avila plays 30 min and the 4 plays 30 min, there are 20 forward min available. In one interview about his Canadian big man recruit, he talked about playing 2 centers at the same time. While the height isn't as big a deal in the 5 out offense, it still counts when playing defense. A 5 out offense with a twin towers defense would really frustrate teams that want to go inside in their half court offense. It breaks convention and kind of blows your mind.

17 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

So if Avila plays 30 min and the 4 plays 30 min, there are 20 forward min available. In one interview about his Canadian big man recruit, he talked about playing 2 centers at the same time. While the height isn't as big a deal in the 5 out offense, it still counts when playing defense. A 5 out offense with a twin towers defense would really frustrate teams that want to go inside in their half court offense. It breaks convention and kind of blows your mind.

I’m in favor of anything we do to make our team perform as close to UConn as possible.

10 hours ago, TRN said:

Hargrove was only 6’5”.  We need another player to backup Avila that is actually 6’8”, that is not Thames.

Thames could be a nice back-up for Kent at the 4. The Canadian freshman could be Avilla's back-up.

billiken_roy likes this