2024-25 Roster

The value of Curcic, is he shoots well coming off the bench. Our bigs don't shoot 3s, so the 5 out offense turns into a 4 out offense. One of the things that make Avila so effective is that his defender has to come out of the paint to guard him, or he will drop a 3 on them. When his defender comes out, it opens s up the lanes for cutters. Its beautiful. But it does not work with a big that can't make 3s. 

I dont think Schertz will settle for players that can't play his system. I think in today's game, you tell the players that you are not likely  to see the floor and they will leave. 

Indiana State is a super disciplined team. The Bills have been very undisciplined. The culture is about to change.  

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Except like it's not well thought out besides Barge Madness. SLU and Mizzou are on the west side of the river. Why would fans be on both sides of the river. 

Well, there is the plastic ice made out of melted grocery bags that the Blues are putting in Enterprise center to save costs. I heard that earlier today.

1 minute ago, Lord Elrond said:

Well, there is the plastic ice made out of melted grocery bags that the Blues are putting in Enterprise center to save costs. I heard that earlier today.

I mean the Stu tweet would have been well done if it was a bragging rights tweet. IU backing out of Bragging Rights to put SLU on the schedule would have made sense. 

Lord Elrond likes this

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Except like it's not well thought out besides Barge Madness. SLU and Mizzou are on the west side of the river. Why would fans be on both sides of the river. 

Plus the rivers aren't deep enough right now for much barge traffic.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:06 PM, ACE said:

In order of preference, I want this dream roster...

1) Avilla

2) Conwell

3) Kent 

4) Larry

5) Swope

* The reason I have Swope last, is because if he doesn't come over, then we welcome back Gibby.

Then I'm fine taking all three of Schertz's incoming recruits, especially the big man, and let's keep our recruit Williford, who I'm intrigued with.  With an experienced starting lineup, I would be fine having four freshman because there won't be a lot of available minutes.

So that leaves four more spots.

1) I like Thames as a bench guy, good athleticism and versatility... a solid back-up to Kent

2) A combo guard who is a great perimeter defender first and foremost

3) A more offensive minded combo guard to provide additional ballhandling and another shooter (possibly Hughes, I thought he was over-exposed this year, but in a more limited role, could be effective)

4) Most important, a rim protector & or a bad ass rebounding big

A very interesting report about all of the starters except Julian Larry coming over (BTW, Larry is from Texas, my thoughts on recruiting there are well documented and this would only reinforce it 😎). Time to revisit this...

Larry is the most like a PG, but Conwell and Swope have some playmaking ability - they are all excellent passers led by Avilla. Would Gibby make sense for the 5th starting spot or is it more important to get a player with more PG skills to replace Larry? Conwell and Swope are excellent scorers, but are also willing to share the ball, so maybe a backcourt of those two plus Gibby would work?

Avilla and Conwell are the two most important to get, not only are they the best, they have two remaining years of eligibility. Conwell is a dynamic player, it would be awesome to have him.

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

A very interesting report about all of the starters except Julian Larry coming over (BTW, Larry is from Texas, my thoughts on recruiting there are well documented and this would only reinforce it 😎). Time to revisit this...

Larry is the most like a PG, but Conwell and Swope have some playmaking ability - they are all excellent passers led by Avilla. Would Gibby make sense for the 5th starting spot or is it more important to get a player with more PG skills to replace Larry? Conwell and Swope are excellent scorers, but are also willing to share the ball, so maybe a backcourt of those two plus Gibby would work?

Avilla and Conwell are the two most important to get, not only are they the best, they have two remaining years of eligibility. Conwell is a dynamic player, it would be awesome to have him.

Not our money, but do we want to pay Gibby as much as we did last year?  He would do amazing in Schertz offense but he was also pretty expensive.

If so, Avila - Kent - Gibby - Combo Guard - Swope.  Thats a PRPG of 15.4 and still have a player to add to that.  This year the combined starting PRPG was 14.  So unless the player to be added sucks, its still slightly better than last year. 

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Not our money, but do we want to pay Gibby as much as we did last year?  He would do amazing in Schertz offense but he was also pretty expensive.

If so, Avila - Kent - Gibby - Combo Guard - Swope.  Thats a PRPG of 15.4 and still have a player to add to that.  This year the combined starting PRPG was 14.  So unless the player to be added sucks, its still slightly better than last year. 

Conwell is the combo guard.

18 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Jimerson is also raising is price by going into the portal. We've seen 2 lists of interested schools already and there are some big names.

That said, if we could get him back for one more year, he would thrive in a Schertz offense. He worth retaining at the same price - I'm just not sure how much that price will have gone up.

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Conwell is going p5 imo

It could turn out that way, but I'm going on the premise of the IndyStar report:

It’s an open secret in the Sycamores’ locker room that four of their five starters would most likely follow him to Saint Louis. The one player not going? Julian Larry.

16 minutes ago, ACE said:

It could turn out that way, but I'm going on the premise of the IndyStar report:

It’s an open secret in the Sycamores’ locker room that four of their five starters would most likely follow him to Saint Louis. The one player not going? Julian Larry.

I know, I saw that.  That said, I really think Doyle is a little behind on this.  I do think a few weeks ago this was the case.  At this point I think Conwell ends up in the B10 next year. 

23 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Jimerson is also raising is price by going into the portal. We've seen 2 lists of interested schools already and there are some big names.

That said, if we could get him back for one more year, he would thrive in a Schertz offense. He worth retaining at the same price - I'm just not sure how much that price will have gone up.

Gibson would feast in this offense, its truly perfect for him.  Of our current players Gibby(I know), Larry and Bruce all to some degree would play into Schertz system, some better than others. 

On 4/3/2024 at 12:04 PM, wgstl said:

Gibson would feast in this offense, its truly perfect for him.  Of our current players Gibby(I know), Larry and Bruce all to some degree would play into Schertz system, some better than others. 

Add Curcic too. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

YES.  Not sure if he is an official portal entry, or a coming with my Dad player.   Jersey #5 awaits.

Was he scholarship player at ISU?

Doesn't faculty, which I believe Coach Schertz is considered, get free tuition?

1 hour ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

Was he scholarship player at ISU?

Doesn't faculty, which I believe Coach Schertz is considered, get free tuition?

He only played 6 minutes last season, so I would guess Walk On.