• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, willie said:

I was told 2 months ago that they were comfortable with their NIL for next year. 

The head of ISU's collective said today that they've got commitments to get their NIL to $270k. We were at $400K last year. If their beat writer is saying we're almost a million more, then we're in the $1.2 million range. 3X where we were last year.

12 minutes ago, willie said:

I was told 2 months ago that they were comfortable with their NIL for next year. 

Things have changed quite a bit. I don't think they understood 2 months ago what they truly needed to be comfortable. Matthew Jakobsze has brought reality to the department on what it takes in NIL.

On 4/4/2024 at 2:52 PM, billikenfan05 said:

This guy hasn't seen a movie since Grease. 

If ‘Grease’ is the last movie someone ever sees, it’s not a bad pick. 🤷‍♂️ 

3 hours ago, rhagolf said:

He will leave after 2 seasons. For a P5 job.

we should be so lucky. It would take making sweet 16 both years @ least for that to happen. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. then we r @ worst where the trees r now 

15 hours ago, courtside said:

There wasn’t a follow up post, because the situation didn’t change. Regarding any drama after that, let’s just say some things aren’t always what they seem.

Officially, SLU first made contact with Josh Schertz March 13th. Unofficially, SLU targeted, and established mutual interest with Schertz, several weeks prior to that through a third party. Contract negotiations were ongoing St. Patrick’s Day weekend. And, a deal was finalized Tuesday March 19th. He wasn’t the only coach SLU contacted. And he wasn’t the only coach SLU interviewed. But he was SLU’s first snd only choice.

There were meetings on the 13th, 17th, and the 19th of March during the process. Immediately after these meetings, Trilly Donovan and Jeff Borzello were contacted by Evan Daniels and two other people.Ross Chaifetz was not one of these people. However he did communicate with them later in the process.

There also seems to be some confusion and misinformation out there regarding other SLU candidates. See the Coaching Carousel  post.

First quoting yourself is a ****** move.

Your timeline in both posts is way off and your info is just completely inaccurate. 

You cribbed this off a couple pay boards that I am on too and you copy and pasted specifically from two posts on another pay site.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Been how long since we hired a coach who wasn’t fired but promoted to us 

The answer to your question is 25 year.

Travis Ford - hired by SLU after being fired at OSU

Jim Crews - hired by SLU (as an assistant coach) after a couple years on the shelf after being fired by Army

Rick Majerus - hired by SLU after a few years as an ESPN analyst, Majerus resigned from Utah for health reasons.

Brad Soderberg - hired by SLU (as an assistant coach) after being fired by Wisconsin / not retained when he was the interim HC after Dick Bennet's abrupt retirement.

Lorenzo Romar - hired away from Pepperdine in 1999

Charlie Spoonhour - hired away from Missouri State

Romar is the most recent coach that fits your criteria.  Telling that every other coach we hired who was fired at their previous coaching stop largely failed as a HC at SLU to varying degrees.  Majerus who wasn't fired at Utah is of course in a different category.

3 hours ago, thetorch said:

First quoting yourself is a ****** move.

Your timeline in both posts is way off and your info is just completely inaccurate. 

You cribbed this off a couple pay boards that I am on too and you copy and pasted specifically from two posts on another pay site.

Oh the irony...

Guy didn't even watch the games...

Travis is probably wondering why he wasn’t given such a big NIL treasure chest. Even more than this season’s meltdown, I’d say his goose was cooked after the disaster that occurred in the 22-23 season. If he couldn’t coach that squad into the dance there was no good reason to give him the funds to pursue talent that he couldn’t coach up to get the desired results. Travis’ legacy as a coach will be great salesman but a mediocre coach. 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:24 AM, The Wiz said:

I was going to let this slide by as I thought why beat on Ford anymore. And then I thought it might be a good idea to show the upside of Schertz. 

So the simply answer is Schertz wins more games...but you knew that already.  But as I know, the computer never gives simple answers. And it is the additional info that is interesting.  

First interesting fact was the computer thought that at the beginning of the season the BIlls  had the better team ...not because we were great but that ISU was just a so so team.

Point 1...Schertz takes a so so team and moves them to NET 29 

Point 2...In the 1st game  of the season , I have SLU play ISU...Bills over ISU by 3 on a neutral court.

Point 3...I have SLU play ISU today....ISU over The Bills by 11 on a neutral court.

I could stop here but let's keep going...

Point 4...Coaches now switch teams...a lot of ifs here  but in the end the Coach is responsible for whatever happens...even things beyond his control.

Point 5...ISU starts off promisingly with CTF but the season starts to fade due to a variety of reasons...some explainable ...some not. (not the least of which we are living in an alternate universe) ...ISU finishes 10th in MVC ahead of Valpo and UIC...no post season but Ford says he has a plan.

Point 6 ... The Bills have a lot of promise and start the season well but have some things go wrong ...players missing... injuries...but continue to hang on and win some close games that don't seem winnable.(in another universe they are not winnable) KenPom adds an extra margin to the Bills spread calling it the "luck " factor. Bills finish the season in 1st place AND go on to win the A10 tourney too and get the auto bid...the NCAA  still gives an at large bid to Dayton (because they can)...Bills receive a 7th seed in the bracket.

Point 7...Back to the original question...who has more wins...Schertz...

Bottom line... The preceding was a series of simulations. You may agree with all of it ...some of it... or none of it but in the final analysis the computer says ....we are getting a better Coach.

In this hypothetical, the only way Shertz can run his 5 out offense, is with Tj at the 5. Because our current bigs don't shoot 3s. So we would play a very small 5 out line up. 

So maybe Tj, Thames, Gibby, Curcic and Medley.  Hughes as the 6th man. 

I think we had enough outside shooting gaurds for the 5 out but woefully short of the key outside shooting and passing 5.

9 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Been how long since we hired a coach who wasn’t fired but promoted to us 

Brad Soderberg. Promoted within, unfortunately. So much for that Doug Woolard “national search” we were promised.

18 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Travis is probably wondering why he wasn’t given such a big NIL treasure chest. Even more than this season’s meltdown, I’d say his goose was cooked after the disaster that occurred in the 22-23 season. If he couldn’t coach that squad into the dance there was no good reason to give him the funds to pursue talent that he couldn’t coach up to get the desired results. Travis’ legacy as a coach will be great salesman but a mediocre coach

mediocre is kind.   he was a horrible coach.   no development, practice or game coach skills.   recruiting was indeed his only redeeming factor.   very very good before the ncaa changed all the rules.   pay to play and unlimited immediate transferring changed the game of recruiting and he was out of his element and thus pretty much worthless.   it was beyond time to go.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

mediocre is kind.   he was a horrible coach.   no development, practice or game coach skills.   recruiting was indeed his only redeeming factor.   very very good before the ncaa changed all the rules.   pay to play and unlimited immediate transferring changed the game of recruiting and he was out of his element and thus pretty much worthless.   it was beyond time to go.  

Well-said. Akin to the manager of a cab company in the Age of Uber. Couldn’t keep up with the disruption in the game. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

100%

10 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

In this hypothetical, the only way Shertz can run his 5 out offense, is with Tj at the 5. Because our current bigs don't shoot 3s. So we would play a very small 5 out line up. 

So maybe Tj, Thames, Gibby, Curcic and Medley.  Hughes as the 6th man. 

I think we had enough outside shooting gaurds for the 5 out but woefully short of the key outside shooting and passing 5.

TJ’s gone. No eligibility. 

billiken_roy likes this

27 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Travis’ legacy as a coach will be great salesman but a mediocre coach. 

Sure he was a great salesman, but he item he really excelled at selling was himself. Travis was very good selling Travis, the rest was empty promises.