15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

They need to announce before Saturday to be honest with you.  That way Schertz can go to the Final Four.  He needs to be there for press reasons and to build his staff.  If they don't have this done before that they will miss out on a great chance at publicity for the program because Schertz will be an in demand interview at the Final Four.

Fine by me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I realize this is going to come off nitpicky but a bit of me doesn't like the attitude of talking about Schertz like that when he's been so adamant to not speak on the situation. Seems a bit rude. Idk. Not shooting the messenger, Drew.

It does seem a little nitpicky to me. Posters on here have been confidently posting for weeks that Schertz has already decided to come to SLU. I haven't had the chance to listen to your podcast in the last couple of weeks (sorry!) but I suspect you and Pete have said similar. Apologies if I'm wrong about that.

So posters and podcasters are allowed to speculate that Schertz is coming to SLU. But Frank on 590 isn't allowed to say something similar?

dlarry likes this

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It does seem a little nitpicky to me. Posters on here have been confidently posting for weeks that Schertz has already decided to come to SLU. I haven't had the chance to listen to your podcast in the last couple of weeks (sorry!) but I suspect you and Pete have said similar. Apologies if I'm wrong about that.

So posters and podcasters are allowed to speculate that Schertz is coming to SLU. But Frank on 590 isn't allowed to say something similar?

I think it's the tone and general level of certainty to go along with the timing of it with the Schertz tweet yesterday. Feels braggy moreso than reporting, but again that's probably nitpicky and I acknowledge that. I understand where you're coming from though. I have more or less said I predict that it will be Schertz and all signs point to Schertz being the guy but stopped short of saying that it is a foregone conclusion. 

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think it's the tone and general level of certainty to go along with the timing of it with the Schertz tweet yesterday. Feels braggy moreso than reporting, but again that's probably nitpicky and I acknowledge that. I understand where you're coming from though. I have more or less said I predict that it will be Schertz and all signs point to Schertz being the guy but stopped short of saying that it is a foregone conclusion. 

Haters gonna hate.....

Just checked in on the sycamorepride.com message board.  One novice basketball fan thinks it would be a “significant downgrade” for J.S. to move from ISU to SLU.  Doesn’t he realize that Coach Schertz sees the potential to make SLU the Gonzaga of the Midwest?  Another frequent poster (complainer) who hates SLU thinks that the student body is full of rich kids.  How misinformed can these guys be?

7 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Just checked in on the sycamorepride.com message board.  One novice basketball fan thinks it would be a “significant downgrade” for J.S. to move from ISU to SLU.  Doesn’t he realize that Coach Schertz sees the potential to make SLU the Gonzaga of the Midwest?  Another frequent poster (complainer) who hates SLU thinks that the student body is full of rich kids.  How misinformed can these guys be?

It’s pretty funny to read the comments.  Enjoy this doozy…

During the Spoonhower days and to a lesser extent when Majerus coached there, there was moderate interest in the program. During the Spoonhower tenure they were playing in the Enterprise Center and had really good attendence, and that was partly because Charlie was a folk hero of sorts. But other than that the interest is average at best. If HCJS makes the move it will be because of the money. When the SLU rich kids get bored, Biff and Buffy will drive their BMW down to the lake for the weekend.

3 minutes ago, TRN said:

During the Spoonhower days and to a lesser extent when Majerus coached there, there was moderate interest in the program. During the Spoonhower tenure they were playing in the Enterprise Center and had really good attendence, and that was partly because Charlie was a folk hero of sorts. But other than that the interest is average at best. If HCJS makes the move it will be because of the money. When the SLU rich kids get bored, Biff and Buffy will drive their BMW down to the lake for the weekend.

This guy hasn't seen a movie since Grease. 

laker119 likes this

11 minutes ago, TRN said:

Misinformed for sure.

2 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

ISU fans not far off. SLU annual tuition is now $50,000, the Fetz is a half-empty morgue, few students attend ... and for good reason, the team stinks.

I am once again asking why a school that hasn’t been to an NCAA tournament  since 2011 is making fun of our basketball history. 

6 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

The next time I read ‘Gonzaga of the Midwest’ I’m signing off forever. 

I’d settle for being the Seton Hall of the Midwest.

Just now, NextYearBill said:

The next time I read ‘Gonzaga of the Midwest’ I’m signing off forever. 

Loyola, more than any other high mid-major Midwest Jesuit programs, of which there are just two - us and them, have been the Gonzaga of the Midwest more recently. They’ve tasted the waters of the Final Four font. I was there in Atlanta in 2018 to watch them do it. As a SLU alum, I was damn proud of Porter’s charges. 

IMG_2713.jpeg

1 hour ago, CenHudDude said:

Misinformed for sure.

I understand that the ISU fans are upset but for the most part this Board has been supportive of the ISU NIT run this year when in reality it would have been in SLU best interest for them to have lost early.  The other issue that I find odd is are they really that naive to believe that Schertz was going to stay for a long time - even we understand that if he is successful he may be gone fairly soon from here.

CenHudDude likes this

29 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

ISU fans not far off. SLU annual tuition is now $50,000, the Fetz is a half-empty morgue, few students attend ... and for good reason, the team stinks.

Well, I am guessing, other than this year, ISU does not exactly pack it in.

2023:

ISU  3886 avg attendance

SLU 7056 avg attendance

2022:

ISU 2099 avg attendance

SLU 5559 avg attendance

2021:

ISU 3676 avg attendance

SLU 6880 avg attendance

Both arenas have similar capacity. So much for ISU being a hotbed for Indiana basketball.

RUBillsFan and CenHudDude like this