14 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If you’d have told me when he was hired that Travis Ford would coach at SLU for eight seasons and NEVER beat a ranked team, I’d have assumed we got relegated to D2.  Wonder if any other A10 programs went winless against ranked opponents in that time frame.  

When Loyola beat Dayton this year, it was the fist time they beat a ranked opponent at home since 1986.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I would guess quite a few of them did.

Probably a lot of blood donors playing buy games against the blue bloods. 

They get one/two shots a year paying a ranked opponent and it’s always on the road.

33 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

If you’d have told me when he was hired that Travis Ford would coach at SLU for eight seasons and NEVER beat a ranked team, I’d have assumed we got relegated to D2.  Wonder if any other A10 programs went winless against ranked opponents in that time frame.  

I always wondered if any other team made the top 25 and never beat a ranked team during a coaches tenure.

So, why would Schertz pass on UL? Big time traditional winner with great fans, great facilities, great boosters. My best guess is the road back in the ACC, as it stands today, is gonna be a lot tougher than returning SLU to the top of the A10. He’s got some good players and a good system, but are the guys he may bring with him ACC level players like the top programs, ie Duke, UNC, Cuse, et al, who typically land top 25 recruiting classes? Also, UL won’t be too patient, say a 3-4 year rebuild. At SLU and the A10 his pathway to success is a little smoother. If he’s thinking long term career, SLU just might give him a better shot at a P6 job in 2-3 years. If Kelsey falls flat at UL and gets the ax after 3 years he’ll likely be treated as a retread and end up like Ford after OSU fired him. Just speculation on my part, but this might have been his thought process. 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

So, why would Schertz pass on UL? Big time traditional winner with great fans, great facilities, great boosters. My best guess is the road back in the ACC, as it stands today, is gonna be a lot tougher than returning SLU to the top of the A10. He’s got some good players and a good system, but are the guys he may bring with him ACC level players like the top programs, ie Duke, UNC, Cuse, et al, who typically land top 25 recruiting classes? Also, UL won’t be too patient, say a 3-4 year rebuild. At SLU and the A10 his pathway to success is a little smoother. If he’s thinking long term career, SLU just might give him a better shot at a P6 job in 2-3 years. If Kelsey falls flat at UL and gets the ax after 3 years he’ll likely be treated as a retread and end up like Ford after OSU fired him. Just speculation on my part, but this might have been his thought process. 

Maybe Schertz is just a man of his word.   he entered into a committment and SLU showed him the courtesy of letting him finish his season.  Reportedly SLU even engaged a realtor on behalf of Schertz and his family to start the search process for a new home.   apparently they rolled out the welcome mat for his request to bring some of his players with him.   i.e. SLU went out of their way to make things good for Schertz.   Yes apparently Louisville threw a lot of zero's at him.   but i give some credit to Schertz for holding to his word. 

55 minutes ago, ACE said:

When Loyola beat Dayton this year, it was the fist time they beat a ranked opponent at home since 1986.

Yea, but they beat ranked opponents during Porter's NCAA runs. Tennessee in 2018 & Illinois in 2021. Maybe even more. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

If/When this deal is finalized, Chaifetz and other involved donors and May need to get a lot of credit.  There are a whole lot of ways this search could have gone south, but they made it happen with their top choice despite a late challenge by a big time program.

Also, If/when Schertz signs the deal, I think he has to start out extra popular here given that he may have passed on a chance to become the next coach at Louisville to become our coach.  It's one thing to beat out a big time program for a recruit.  It's another when you beat them out for a coach you both want.

-IF? you want to give credit IF this hire doesn't happen?  

I think if the trees can find somebody with money in Terre Haute and manage to put together something close to what we are gonna pay him he may decide to stay. Just a gut feeling. Feels to me it'll be tough to leave after the NIT success. Had they lost already I think it's a done deal but just getting the vibe ISU is gonna go all in to try to keep the band together. Could definitely backfire for Schertz though if he decides to stay and they flop.

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I think if the trees can find somebody with money in Terre Haute and manage to put together something close to what we are gonna pay him he may decide to stay. Just a gut feeling. Feels to me it'll be tough to leave after the NIT success. Had they lost already I think it's a done deal but just getting the vibe ISU is gonna go all in to try to keep the band together. Could definitely backfire for Schertz though if he decides to stay and they flop.

MVC is gonna be bad next year.  Its going to be hard to put together a solid schedule, and that was something he complained about this year.  

32 minutes ago, TRN said:

ISU doesn’t have a President or AD, he’s not staying around Terre Haute.  He was gone after this season, something may have worked in SLU’s favor for once.

I mean our president is gone in a year. I just get the feeling he doesn't want to shun that fan base. But could be wrong. He has to make the decision thats best for him. 

And regards to mvc being bad. That's a good thing for him in some ways. See wich state at mvc. Gonzaga out west. There's some benefits to being the only good school.

Honestly ask yourself this.... if they win the NIT which I think seems pretty likely since they will get a home whistle the rest of the way. That podunk town comes together to try to get everything in line for one more year. Including a significant raise. Do you think he would leave? I personally don't. I'm also very pessimistic when it comes to the bills recently.

11 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Gtfo, he’s not staying at ISU.  If it wasn’t a lock he’s coming here, he’d have for sure gone to Louisville.  Over 20+ years of fandom, I’ve come to expect that what can go wrong with SLU hoops will go wrong, and even I think it’s a done deal. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Gtfo, he’s not staying at ISU.  If it wasn’t a lock he’s coming here, he’d have for sure gone to Louisville.  Over 20+ years of fandom, I’ve come to expect that what can go wrong with SLU hoops will go wrong, and even I think it’s a done deal. 

I love reaffirmation. Thanks. I hope your right. Some celebration will be necessary. 

2 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I love reaffirmation. Thanks. I hope your right. Some celebration will be necessary. 

A lot of celebration will be necessary. And repeat with each transfer that comes with. 

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

A lot of celebration will be necessary. And repeat with each transfer that comes with. 

If you told me how mentally taxing this search was going to be, I would have assumed we were where Louisville was 24-48 hours ago. I am so effing exhausted. But I can't stop checking social media. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I questioned Schertz as our choice for coach about a month ago for not having any big wins on his resume at Indiana State.  It wasn't a criticism, just and observation that he had not beaten anyone of note other than Drake, who ISU also lost to twice this year.  Just want to point out that in the NIT, Schertz has beaten the #65 NET team (SMU), the #89 NET team (Minnesota), and the #37 NET team (Cincinnati).  Only Cincinnati could be considered really quality win, but I am still much more excited about the possibility, or hopefully likelihood, of him being our next coach.

Coach Grawer's teams played way stiffer competition in the NIT. Avila would be Big Chill Melvin Robinson's rag doll, just like Luc Longley. 

David King and AGB91 like this

Matt Norlander

@MattNorlander

·

48m

Just in—Pat Kelsey has verbally accepted Louisville's offer to be the next Cardinals coach, source tells

@CBSSports

. The terms of the contract will be approved by the UofL Athletic Association's Board of Directors Thursday. H/T:

@PeteThamel

1st on contract

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If you told me how mentally taxing this search was going to be, I would have assumed we were where Louisville was 24-48 hours ago. I am so effing exhausted. But I can't stop checking social media. 

100% in the same boat. There are two things that have me feeling great about it now:

1) We have not been linked to any other coaches (except Frank begging for Ahearn).  It seems like May and Dr. C know we have our guy in the bag.  You have to think we’d at least hear of some secondary interest if it wasn’t locked down. We have seen Louisville connected with other coaches the second Schertz turned them down. 

2) It was reported by multiple sources that Louisville would've had to pay us a buyout to sign Schertz.  I’m not a lawyer, but how would they have to pay us a buyout if we didn’t have something signed and sealed, just waiting to be delivered?   I think it’s entirely possible he has signed some sort of pre-contract, where the buyout is paid to ISU and the contract with us goes into effect the second ISU is eliminated from the NIT.  Pre-contracts are extremely common in European Soccer, not sure how it would work here, but it seems like we have something more binding and enforceable than just a regular MoU.

43 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I mean our president is gone in a year. I just get the feeling he doesn't want to shun that fan base. But could be wrong. He has to make the decision thats best for him. 

And regards to mvc being bad. That's a good thing for him in some ways. See wich state at mvc. Gonzaga out west. There's some benefits to being the only good school.

Honestly ask yourself this.... if they win the NIT which I think seems pretty likely since they will get a home whistle the rest of the way. That podunk town comes together to try to get everything in line for one more year. Including a significant raise. Do you think he would leave? I personally don't. I'm also very pessimistic when it comes to the bills recently.

I like to go about these things by asking, what would a rational human being do?  Through most of this process, Mr Schertz has been revealed as a rational human.

1.  His friend is interested in the UofL job, but receives death threats from that crazy fan base.  Schertz, seemingly acting as a rational human, probs doesn’t want to be exposed to that too.  
2. Why would Schertz pass on a significant pay raise for one last hoorah at a salary that may be comparable to the SLU offer, but doubtful.  
3.  Most rational people prefer certainty (a significant pay raise over several years) vs uncertainty (coming back for one year and if things backfire, his chance at that same significant raise could be gone)

And one last thing, who the heck wants to live in Terra Haute when you can live in St Louis and enjoy all the Bud Select you’d like?

1.  If he decides to stay at ISU what happens to the buyout in the MoU? - does ISU pay it?  - or does it just not trigger?

2.  I believe someone posted that May has still been interviewing - not sure who was mentioned.

3.  I am still of the mind that the longer this goes the chances of us getting him drop - doesn't mean he won't come just that the chances decrease.

7 minutes ago, laker119 said:

I like to go about these things by asking, what would a rational human being do?  Through most of this process, Mr Schertz has been revealed as a rational human.

1.  His friend is interested in the UofL job, but receives death threats from that crazy fan base.  Schertz, seemingly acting as a rational human, probs doesn’t want to be exposed to that too.  
2. Why would Schertz give a significant pay raise for one last hoorah at a salary that may be comparable to the SLU offer, but doubtful.  
3.  Most rational people prefer certainty (a significant pay raise over several years) vs uncertainty (coming back for one year and if things backfire, his chance at that same significant raise could be gone)

And one last thing, who the heck wants to live in Terra Haute when you can live in St Louis and enjoy all the Bud Select you’d like?

I believe someone posted that ISU was raising his salary from 350 to 800K.  We reportedly are paying 2 million - a big delta.