SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Candidates

12 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Probably not for us but under the radar excellent young coach - Ryan Ridder at UTM.   His father is a small college legend in FL, approaching 800 wins.   He coached at a JUCO and then at an HBCU school and did very well at both.   He has actually turned a dump like Tennessee-Martin into a winner.   Prediction he will be climbing the ranks somewhere soon.   

-philosophically I take him over a P6 retread

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s hard for me to sift through all this. Now I hear that McCollum is linked to the Missouri State job but has that been finalized? Why are people dismissing him to SLU. I think he’d be a great fit.

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Last time he moved up a level, he crashed HARD.

He also seems to be kind of a weirdo. Cycles through assistants quickly. Can sell a program but doesn't seem to build long-term relationships with players. I think he's a specific flavor and fits at certain places culturally (Valpo, GCU) that might not translate everywhere. Same for his brother - Baylor is the absolute perfect fit for him as the highest level program where he could thrive.

But Homer still lives in STL, right? Not surprising certain local media figures are pushing Bryce.

Regarding cycles through assistants quickly, if anything it’s the opposite.

Roger Powell Jr was on staff 8 years. He only left because Drew lost his job. And, he went to Gonzaga for 4 years before getting the HC position at Valpo. 

Jake Diebler was on staff 10 years with Drew after also playing an additional 4 years at Valpo. He only left because Drew lost his Job. He went to Ohio State. 

Walker, Schilling, and Shaw have all been with Drew the entire time at GCU. It’s the 2nd time he’s worked with Shaw for a total of 6 seasons.

Drew has long been connected with Athlete’s in Action and several of his connections have been through that. 

Drew’s Vandy tenure was recruiting 5 star future NBA players, some but not all with season long injuries. He didn’t think his league record mattered that much in a bad 3rd season. He thought wrong.

He probably would have received one more season with the previous retiring AD.. The new AD had a long term relationship with Stack via the NBA and G League. That new AD lasted one year before being replaced.

The knock on Drew was not being able to be more competitive than he was with high level recruits.  Most thought his dismissal was fair, if a year early. But he has many long term loyal relationships with assistants and staff. 

aj_arete likes this

i want nothing to do with dukies.   dont ever forget when pretty q snyder got caught at mi$$ouri, his defense with the ncaa was "we did that all the time at duke."   pretty much went away after that.   but point is they are trained to cheat. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

i want nothing to do with dukies.   dont ever forget when pretty q snyder got caught at mi$$ouri, his defense with the ncaa was "we did that all the time at duke."   pretty much went away after that.   but point is they are trained to cheat. 

It's all fair game now. I'm tired of losing

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Reminder:

2023 Salaries per some quick Google research:

Kelsey - $1.1 million

May - $1.25 million

Sprinkle - $900k

DeVries - $630k

Travis Ford - $2.34 million

All these guys would be adding at least a million to their salaries.  If they don't get P6 jobs, they'd be crazy to think that SLU is not a step up & jump at the chance for a million dollar+ raise.

If we match Travis’ over pay for any coach that’s a huge mistake. Maybe for May and Kelse a raise of $800k but no one else. We need NIL $$’s . 

13 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Call me pessimistic but I have a bad feeling we are gonna mess up this hire. 

If Chris May has anything to do with it, we will 😅

thelaundry and LindellWest like this

16 minutes ago, slu72 said:

If we match Travis’ over pay for any coach that’s a huge mistake. Maybe for May and Kelse a raise of $800k but no one else. We need NIL $$’s . 

Do the players compete with the coaching staff for funding, or do they draw from separate budgets?

27 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Call me pessimistic but I have a bad feeling we are gonna mess up this hire. 

If we end up with any worse than Schertz, Wade, Devries, or Mack, I’m done for good 😅.   Would maybe take Mcccollum. 

No Crean, Ahearn, Cuonzo, etc. 

I’m split on Porter. Would rather have one of the top 4, but could maybe be convinced. 

42 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Don’t know if Trilly really reported this today, but thought I’d share it just in case:

Trilly hasn’t posted that anywhere, unless I’m completely missing it. 

It hasn’t even been 24 hours since the termination occurred.  If it’s true that things were settled 3 weeks ago and we have a search firm, I’m more comfortable knowing things are going on behind the scenes.

BLIKNS and SLUMS81 like this

Maybe it's my pessimistic attitude towards Billiken basketball, but I'm starting to feel real uneasy about this hire. 

A week ago I was pretty confident that we would land one of our top targets (Schertz, McCollum, Devries or even a Mack, Moser, Holtmann-type). And we still might. But now, I'm more on the fence. 

This process appears to be trending towards a desperation hire, especially as the number of attractive jobs increases.

In order to evaluate candidates effectively, expectations need to be set. I think this program needs to achieve 4 outcomes:

1) Aim for 3 NCAA Tournament appearances every 5 years (5 or 6 out of 10)

2) Consistently finish top 4 in A10 play. Given our spend/commitment to basketball and the league's recent downward trajectory, I don't think 4 of 5 years is unreasonable.

3) Make it to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. We need some national exposure and credibility. And unfortunately winning the A10 or the A10 Tourney ain't it.

4) Successfully navigate the changing nature of recruiting and talent acquisition (NIL, portal, etc) by building a consistent, strategic, and scalable system.

That asks a lot. But, to me, it's pretty apparent just by looking at a candidate's track record which ones are likely to fall short of these expectations.

AMDG-Unit and Zink like this

2 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Don’t know if Trilly really reported this today, but thought I’d share it just in case:

we would be naive to believe schertz's agent wouldnt try to find an angle for negotiating.  i just dont want to spend more than we were paying ford.  but we got a lot of room between that number and what Josh was reported to be making in Terre Haute.   personally i think Indiana State will be a bigger competitor than Louisville.   

if schertz goes to louisville he must have really hit a homerun in the meeting with the cardinals.  im guessing louisville is looking bigger and more established.   but then again payne was so bad maybe their standards have dropped considerably.  

aj_arete likes this

1 hour ago, Bizziken said:

Maybe it's my pessimistic attitude towards Billiken basketball, but I'm starting to feel real uneasy about this hire. 

A week ago I was pretty confident that we would land one of our top targets (Schertz, McCollum, Devries or even a Mack, Moser, Holtmann-type). And we still might. But now, I'm more on the fence. 

This process appears to be trending towards a desperation hire, especially as the number of attractive jobs increases.

It’s been 24 hours, how can it be trending anywhere?

House likes this

20 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

It’s been 24 hours, how can it be trending anywhere?

Holtmann to DePaul. Vandy, Oklahoma St, and likely Michigan jobs all opening up. McCollum to Missouri St. Lousville talking to Schertz. No rumors about coaches currently not working (Mack). 

Oh, and a big one: May is still seemingly in charge. 

24 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Holtmann to DePaul. Vandy, Oklahoma St, and likely Michigan jobs all opening up. McCollum to Missouri St. Lousville talking to Schertz. No rumors about coaches currently not working (Mack). 

Oh, and a big one: May is still seemingly in charge. 

I think it's way too early to panic. Hell it's too early to feel uneasy. I am actually very chill, surprisingly.