End of a (mediocre) era. Travis Ford is out.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

May is going no where. Let's be real.

Baseball is 15-1 currently.

Softball is 12-8 (good, not great)

Men's tennis is 9-2

Women's tennis is 10-0

Volleyball has a new viach that seems universally well liked.

Women's basketball went to the NCAA tournament for the first time ever under a new May hire.

Men's soccer underperformed this year but is meeting or exceeding expectations overall.

Women's soccer is in a golden age and continues to improve.

Men's basketball stunk this year but won 20+ games from 2018-2023 - excluding covid year (not great but well above mediocre)

Also the Champions Center is an impressive feat.

To me it would seem dumb to fire May

No room for logic or reason here. It’s all about the hate.

SLUMS81 and HoosierPal like this

I think Schertz would be a great hire. My concern is that there is a nonzero chance Indiana State makes some noise in either the NIT or NCAA Tournament and a Power program enters the picture. 

9 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

May is going no where. Let's be real.

Baseball is 15-1 currently.

Softball is 12-8 (good, not great)

Men's tennis is 9-2

Women's tennis is 10-0

Volleyball has a new coach that seems universally well liked.

Women's basketball went to the NCAA tournament for the first time ever just last yesr under a new May hire.

Men's soccer underperformed this year but is meeting or exceeding expectations overall.

Women's soccer is in a golden age and continues to improve.

Men's basketball stunk this year but won 20+ games from 2018-2023 - excluding covid year (not great but well above mediocre)

Also the Champions Center is an impressive feat.

To me it would seem dumb to fire May

He put all of that in jeopardy by betting on ford. He's neglected all of those programs, despite their success.

JMM28 likes this

2 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

No room for logic or reason here. It’s all about the hate.

It's not hate. I'm very reasonable. I often joke and make fun but I have laid out logical reasons for May to be gone.

Was the market value for Travis Ford $2.4 mil/season 8 years ago? I've posted on this board numerous times just how out of whack with the rest of the conference that salary was especially for a coach with 19 years (at the time) of history with only 1 tournament win. That salary was $400K higher than the next highest paid coach and nearly $1mil more than the average in the conference.  Then after only 1 NCAA appearance Ford was extended for how long?  Too long.  We're extremely lucky to have generous, involved boosters willing to pay such an exorbitant buyout ($10mil) or we'd be stuck with Travis Ford and continue losing for years.

That is an egregious error.  One you should be fired for committing.

Not to mention horrible marketing. Terrible handling of the media. Bad fan engagement. Bad handling of compliance. Zero ability to understand the changing landscape of NCAA sports (NIL, conference re-alignment). Bad policies in our NIL collective.

Is any of the above personal to constitute 'hate'?

No these are all reasons. Maybe you don't agree that's fine. If you don't agree you probably fit into one of two camps.  Camp A: Those who enjoy having their a$$es kissed by May or Camp B: Those that just don't pay that much attention to college sports.

Soderball, Zink and Tonka like this

1 minute ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It's not hate. I'm very reasonable. I often joke and make fun but I have laid out logical reasons for May to be gone.

Was the market value for Travis Ford $2.4 mil/season 8 years ago? I've posted on this board numerous times just how out of whack with the rest of the conference that salary was especially for a coach with 19 years (at the time) of history with only 1 tournament win. That salary was $400K higher than the next highest paid coach and nearly $1mil more than the average in the conference.  Then after only 1 NCAA appearance Ford was extended for how long?  Too long.  We're extremely lucky to have generous, involved boosters willing to pay such an exorbitant buyout ($10mil) or we'd be stuck with Travis Ford and continue losing for years.

That is an egregious error.  One you should be fired for committing.

Not to mention horrible marketing. Terrible handling of the media. Bad fan engagement. Bad handling of compliance. Zero ability to understand the changing landscape of NCAA sports (NIL, conference re-alignment). Bad policies in our NIL collective.

Is any of the above personal to constitute 'hate'?

No these are all reasons. Maybe you don't agree that's fine. If you don't agree you probably fit into one of two camps.  Camp A: Those who enjoy having their a$$es kissed by May or Camp B: Those that just don't pay that much attention to college sports.

Abomb for AD. Only one man can right the ship. 

36 minutes ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

I suggest SLU spend its money on research, specifically cloning research. Then find some of Majerus' DNA. Then clone him. Then when the clone is old enough to coach, SLU will once again be good!

Nope, there are features and characteristics of a person that are transmitted via genes. A lot of what makes a person is not genetically transmitted, it is learned. I do not see basketball knowledge and coaching knowledge can be transmitted  by cloning the genes. These kinds of knowledge have to be learned.

Just now, Old guy said:

Nope, there are features and characteristics of a person that are transmitted via genes. A lot of what makes a person is not genetically transmitted, it is learned. I do not see basketball knowledge and coaching knowledge can be transmitted  by cloning the genes. These areas have to be learned.

Old guy always dashing our hopes.

Young Charles and laker119 like this

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Nope, there are features and characteristics of a person that are transmitted via genes. A lot of what makes a person is not genetically transmitted, it is learned. I do not see basketball knowledge and coaching knowledge can be transmitted  by cloning the genes. These areas have to be learned.

This is a very great point.  Apt analysis 

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

He put all of that in jeopardy by betting on ford. He's neglected all of those programs, despite their success.

Can’t believe it took you 15 minutes to shoot down any positive May post. Must be the 2 jobs. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m backkkkk. 

not to kick a guy while he’s down or anything, but Ford lost the title of “good guy” for me this year, between the “nothing better to do” comments, constant whining and excuse making, and son’s burner account.  

Genuine thanks to him for raising the talent level over our D2 level Crews teams, but this was long past due

Co-sign. Though I appreciate him helping Humphrey's.

16 minutes ago, DOC said:

Can’t believe it took you 15 minutes to shoot down any positive May post. Must be the 2 jobs. 

Chris May should only be judged on one thing, that’s mbb. Crews, now Ford….he has gotta go. The contract he gave Ford alone should get him fired.  Can you imagine at a school like ND having their football team in the gutter for almost a decade and donors/fans defending AD bc women’s soccer was doing great or softball is winning or hell even mbb at that school? That AD would be long gone. Not at SLU. If Chris May took half of that buyout money and instead was able to put towards a stadium for baseball, can you imagine how nice and deserving that would be for baseball? He’s so bad it’s not even funny. How he keeps getting free pass, after free pass is why I am afraid place won’t change regardless of who is new mbb coach. Have to have a change at the top. 

Zink and Spoon-Balls like this