GDT: SLU vs dayton

The fact that Ezewiro, Zhang and SVB had ZERO rebounds at half should tell you all you need to know about our rebounding issues.  And our rim defense.  In the first half, there was a rebound where we had four guys and they had Holmes and Holmes rebounded and got the putback.  Hughes was one of two on dunks.  DUNKS.  CBS spent a good deal of time on Larry Senior when II missed that first one.  Medley could not stay with Elvis.  Plus three points and two assists do not bode well with a starting point guard.  Hughes is down right awful on defense:  once, he left Brea to follow another player cutting to the basket and Brea got and hit an open three.  Another time, he went under a Holmes screen and Elvis hit the three.  Then, Cheeks blew right by him for a highlight reel dunk.  Sure, he had 12 points but most were inconsequential in terms of the progress of the game at that point.  

SVB and Zhang cannot hold on to the ball on rebounds.  Ezewiro ended with three rebounds, Zhang and SVB were shutout.  Only THJ exudes confidence when he grabs one.  Our bigs are truly lacking and non-existant.  Hughes with four of our seven TOs.  Medley with four fouls.  Kudos to Grant for having Holmes bring the ball up second half --- Ezewiro wasn't going to apply any pressure on that ballhandler.  Even Uhl and Padegimas hit threes.  

If the school does the unthinkable and falls for Ford's promise of a plan and a resurrection next year, then they are the real fools.  As many have note (including this poster) the talent on this roster is low-level D1.  And who recruited that roster?  Who doesn't seem to understand roster construction?  Who doesn't seem to get teaching defense?  Last night's color guy Walker said Ford's teams are built on defense.  How can you lose it all in one year?  With the current roster construction and Ford's admission that he didn't understand NIL, how can anyone trust him to reload the team for next year?  Without Parker (hero) his offensive scheme is lost.  Right now, with a loss at Bonaventure, we will finish 11 and 20 and the current lineup in the A10 shows us playing La Salle in the PIG at 4:30 EDT on Tuesday.  I doubt Fordham drops lowers than 10th (and then the PIG becomes a Fordham home game if you play them).  We could move up to 13 if Rhodey loses out and we somehow beat the Bonnies.  Tuesday should be the death knell for this season.

Then we will see if all hell breaks loose.

Adman and TheA_Bomb like this

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

It's going to be annoying when we win our Tuesday game and delay in the inevitable. 

I hope we don't just so we can move on, finally. 

May's gotta go too.  Don't lose sight of that if Ford is gone after Tuesday.  We need realignment in the Athletic Department top down. The new coach needs someone that is a net benefit to their efforts not just there.

15 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Agree with this all the way. I'm really not sure how many D1 guys we have.

They're all D-I guys. D-I is vast - over 4,700 scholarship players.

13 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Now they see things from our perspective. Defense is so much about effort and communication. Let's just say those two elements are lacking a bit.

This is absolutely true (although not the only things missing on the defensive end).

36 minutes ago, Soderball said:

That's because of the fatigue issue. I've watched him argue with TF about going back into the game. (Ford was talking to him, assumably trying to put him back in, and then made an absolutely anguished, pained expression at BE..) I've also watched him huff and puff like the wolf down the court; walk around out there; then just grab a guy on a play that there is no way Ezewiro makes normally. Still convinced he did this to stop play and get out of the game.

If you watch; at the first part of the game and start of 2nd half we go to Ezewiro every time and he makes some nice post moves, slams, layups.. then he just disappears. It's a fatigue issue.

There is a reason that we are his third school. He isn't very good.

15 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

May's gotta go too.  Don't lose sight of that if Ford is gone after Tuesday.  We need realignment in the Athletic Department top down. The new coach needs someone that is a net benefit to their efforts not just there.

I'm definitely down to burn it all down. There are a number of people I'd want to keep (Brian Kunderman, Mickey Smith, some other internal guys who do their jobs really well) but most of the public facing people should be shown the door.

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I'm definitely down to burn it all down. There are a number of people I'd want to keep (Brian Kunderman, Mickey Smith, some other internal guys who do their jobs really well) but most of the public facing people should be shown the door.

"Decision Makers" should be cleared out. 

1 minute ago, ARon said:

I'll be concerned if it is not announced that Ford won't be back before Tuesday's game.

I believe Crews was fired immediately after the conference tournament loss - that would be my expectation. If it doesn't happen and he's the coach the next day, then you can begin the worrying.

7 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

There is a reason that we are his third school. He isn't very good.

I actually think he is a pretty good offensive player. Defense not so much. Can he improve on defense ? It would help if he had a legitimate 4 playing with him. I hope he is back. 

4 minutes ago, ARon said:

I'll be concerned if it is not announced that Ford won't be back before Tuesday's game.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

I believe Crews was fired immediately after the conference tournament loss - that would be my expectation. If it doesn't happen and he's the coach the next day, then you can begin the worrying.

Crews was informed about his firing before the conference tournament game and the postgame press conference was when it was announced publicly.

I would expect the same pattern this time.

ACE likes this

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I thought it had been communicated that Crews wouldn't be back before they even played the tournament games.  
Perhaps it was just that it had communicated internally to the team.

2 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Stu posted in his X Thread w/ his Credential that he is not going to Brooklyn next week. That would lead me to believe there will be no announcement of a coaching change after our exit from the tournament. 

Yikes not having your beat reporting in the conference tournament is bad enough but yeah I feel like this means it may not be handled like it was for Crews

On a bright note.... we made 15 out of 16 free throws

8 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Stu posted in his X Thread w/ his Credential that he is not going to Brooklyn next week. That would lead me to believe there will be no announcement of a coaching change after our exit from the tournament. 

5 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yikes not having your beat reporting in the conference tournament is bad enough but yeah I feel like this means it may not be handled like it was for Crews

Hopefully it has more to do with the Post Dispatch's budget than SLU's plans.

10 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Wouldn’t look into this. The PD has had budget issues, and it seems they’re just not sending their best writer to save on some expenses. 

Pistol likes this

21 minutes ago, FromDaEastSide said:

He covers other sports for the PD so it may relate to priorities rather than coaching situation.

12 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Stream Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day GPGL Remix by 8절8매 | Listen online for  free on SoundCloud

I remember hearing about that; that was a great day. Was on my way home from the field house after watching the game; i was fist pumping and hollering up a storm in the car. Hearing about Crews getting fired is right up there with beating Louisville in my all-time great Billiken memories. Hoping the same after the tournament with TF.

28 minutes ago, ARon said:

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I thought it had been communicated that Crews wouldn't be back before they even played the tournament games.  
Perhaps it was just that it had communicated internally to the team.

I remember walking out of Barclays and another fan comforted me with the info that the Crews era was over. I don't think it was public knowledge, but folks close to the program knew