Transfers - 2024

ACE

This was posted yesterday by SBUnfurled, so it is dated.  Two interesting points from the analysis, Loyola and GW are doing well in the portal.  The MVC is being devastated, with Indiana State, SIU, Drake, Missouri State and UIC all listed on the greatest Portal Losses.  OVR is player value gained or lost.

Some of the posters probably can't see this.  You can go to SBUnfurled if interested.

image.jpeg.eb9311010d89651ce85166e7c1b11e23.jpeg

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just throwing out names because I think we need a PG, Alston Mason SMS is in the portal.  17.5ppg, 35% from 3, 3.5 ast/g

From Overland Park, KS

https://missouristatebears.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/alston-mason/7446

46 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Just throwing out names because I think we need a PG

I personally think with the Schertz offense I watched in the NIT, we don't need a pure point guard.   They get out and run and everyone is moving even in the half court.   

Assuming Schertz will try to implement the same offense we need speed and shooters.   A lot of dribbling is a fail.  All need vision and passing skills and unselfish attitudes.  

6 minutes ago, shempie said:

Luke Goode from Illinois is in the portal. From Ft. Wayne Indiana. Wonder if he would be an option? 

Luke Goode - 2023-24 - Men's Basketball - University of Illinois Athletics (fightingillini.com)

Trent Greene is his uncle.  Half his adult male family members played football at IU.  He is one of the best jump shooters in college basketball.  Goode would be great in a Billiken uniform, but my money is on him ending up at IU.

TheChosenOne likes this

20 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I personally think with the Schertz offense I watched in the NIT, we don't need a pure point guard.   They get out and run and everyone is moving even in the half court.   

Assuming Schertz will try to implement the same offense we need speed and shooters.   A lot of dribbling is a fail.  All need vision and passing skills and unselfish attitudes.  

Yeah I agree with this but does anyone on the team currently have + ball handling skills? 

We mentioned beating the press as a reason for a PG. It's best to beat a press with passing.  But sometimes especially late game situations you need someone with traditional PG skills. 

Maybe Coach thinks we have enough.  I'm unsure.  I'd think we need 1 or 2 PGs.  Then more front court players.

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Yeah I agree with this but does anyone on the team currently have + ball handling skills? 

We mentioned beating the press as a reason for a PG. It's best to beat a press with passing.  But sometimes especially late game situations you need someone with traditional PG skills. 

Maybe Coach thinks we have enough.  I'm unsure.  I'd think we need 1 or 2 PGs.  Then more front court players.

Swope has played as a 1 before, and he has solid ball-handling skills... he's really more of an undersized 2 though. Having such a small 2 limits the kind of player who can play at 1 though. I don't think there will be a meaningful difference between 1-3 (1-4?) in the half court under Schertz, though.

35 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I imagine CJS is a "you can never have two many PGs that can shoot" type. But between Swope, Hughes, and McCottry I don't see that as the greatest area of need.  I'd be more concerned about finding some complimentary size up front.

For what it’s worth, The Athletic had Avila ranked as the #3 player in the portal, labeled as high major plus. Gibson as #27 and also labeled as high major plus. Swope as #30 high major

31 minutes ago, ARon said:

I imagine CJS is a "you can never have two many PGs that can shoot" type. But between Swope, Hughes, and McCottry I don't see that as the greatest area of need.  I'd be more concerned about finding some complimentary size up front.

Agree that you can never have too many of those kinds of players, but:

McCottry is a Freshman, and therefore hard to rely on.

Hughes is a great teammate, but ultimately his underlying stats are not very impressive. On a bad team overall, so hopefully we see some improvement with better players around him, but again, we have no evidence that he is even an average A10 player thus far in his career. I hope he dominates under Schertz, but very TBD.

Swope is the only player of this type that we actually have on the roster with the proven ability to perform at the desired level.

The good thing about Nitu going to FSU is we can get him to transfer to SLU next year after he's developed there for a season.

Mr. Brightside

36 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The good thing about Nitu going to FSU is we can get him to transfer to SLU next year after he's developed there for a season.

Mr. Brightside

Coming out of your cage, and you've been doing just fine.

Billikitty7 likes this

On 4/19/2024 at 10:34 PM, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Sh¡t, I hope not, the clubs over there have really taken a downturn since the Hells Angels takeover.

boy Sauget was quite. a scene back in. the 80's.

On 4/21/2024 at 7:20 PM, HoosierPal said:

This was posted yesterday by SBUnfurled, so it is dated.  Two interesting points from the analysis, Loyola and GW are doing well in the portal.  The MVC is being devastated, with Indiana State, SIU, Drake, Missouri State and UIC all listed on the greatest Portal Losses.  OVR is player value gained or lost.

Some of the posters probably can't see this.  You can go to SBUnfurled if interested.

image.jpeg.eb9311010d89651ce85166e7c1b11e23.jpeg

Who has Loyola and GW brought in that’s impressing everyone?

I asked the computer who we should go after in the portal that fits Schertz's style....

The answer...FAU's  Johnell Davis...6'4" 203  SG

18ppg...6.3rebs ...2.9 asts... 48/41/ 86 (2023-24)

And here's the writeup.......

Johnell Davis became an overnight sensation in the 2023 NCAA tournament when Florida Atlantic made their Cinderella run to the Final Four.

This year, he took his game to entirely new levels. His scoring went from 13.8 points a night to 18.2 points per game. Once considered more of an athletic wing, Davis' guard skills have now made noticeable strides, as well. While he's still capable of attacking the rim, both in the open floor as well as slashing in the half-court, his 3-point shooting went from 35.7% on 1.2 makes per game in 2022-23 to 43.4% on 1.8 makes per game this year. He even started to show some ability to make plays off off ball-screens and saw his assist numbers almost double from 1.6 to 3.0.

Simultaneously, Davis has furthered solidified himself as one of the best perimeter rebounders in the country at 6.3/game, in large part because he plays much bigger than his 6-foot-4 frame. That also enables him to be more switchable on the defensive end than other players his size, with his combination of length and strength. He has a high steal rate and has proven he can be a playmaker on that end of the floor.