GDT: SLU v. Fordham

2 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Travis is so pathetic. Kicking the scorers table, childish body language. Nothing like losing to Fordham at home to further cement LAST place in the A10. 

Does Ford hype up the bench at all?

I sit right behind visitors bench, Urgo pumps up the bench every time they do even small things right. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first…Fordham is not good. Nevertheless, they worked us for a decent amount of the first half, which was rough to watch. Then we played better in the second half, which should probably have won us the game because, as noted above, Fordham is not good. Anyway, we lost again. The positive spin is that it’s no longer surprising.

Still awful.

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Carrawell is a Dukie for life.  He never goes for other jobs.  Duke Asst is the easiest job in college basketball.  

For $1 - $1.5M I’d bet he’d come home.  Tommy Amaker, Johnny Dawkins, and Chris Collins were Dukies for life, too.

Well, I guess now I can say the same thing everyone else is saying. For those souls that like pain, here it is. We did have a chance to win this game, only a few FTs more in the first half would have done it. We lost it by 2. Either team could have won this  game, FDHM just happened to be the winners. Is Fordham likely to go to the Dance? Of course not. Like many have been saying or implying, this season is a painful one and is likely to continue being painful.

There really isn’t anything worth commenting on.  I tried to hang in this season and hold on to some semblance of growth or hope but it’s just not gonna happen.  Fire Ford midseason, it’s too much. 

Why am I supposed to care about this team when the SLU administration doesn’t. 

6 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

There really isn’t anything worth commenting on.  I tried to hang in this season and hold on to some semblance of growth or hope but it’s just not gonna happen.  Fire Ford midseason, it’s too much. 

Why am I supposed to care about this team when the SLU administration doesn’t. 

Which is exactly what Bernie Miklasz said last week, and that’s when I caved in.  It’s sad. This program and SLU athletics as a whole have some much potential in a metro of nearly three million, has a top 25 media market ranking, and where the NBA hasn’t been a fixture for five decades and yet, none of that matters if the higher ups are incapable of looking at the big picture and or too stubborn to get with the times.

They’re better off moving down a division or three as they further slide into permanent irrelevancy.

10 hours ago, Soderball said:

I'd take Fran Dunphy over CTF at this point. It's just unbelievable what this guy has done. Home losses to Fordham now. Is this rock bottom? Can we get worse?

You could always lose at home to SIUE. Oh, wait…

So glad I had to miss yet one more Travis Ford debacle yesterday. Had to attend a retirement banquet which started the same time as the game. Snuck a few peaks at the phone and the game went about as expected, two sucky teams trying to determine which team sucked the less.

My wife and I actually went to game- first half I commented it appeared SLU players were watching Fordham play basketball. Second half a different Billiken team looked engaged. Some good minutes on defense and we climbed back in game. I thought it was entertaining. Crowd became supportive ties at 55 and 63. I was sorry Courcic did not get more minutes and I don’t understand getting 

outplayed in the paint you would think at some point SVB would get in game. Neither Ezewiro nor Bruce can control rebounds on their own. I would try twin towers. Wish we could have won but after watching the Cardinals last season I would say we are stuck with bad teams. We have some athletic players but they don’t play well with and for their teamates. 

i watched the start of Dayton game- same thing there (except maybe they shoot better) players want to score when they get the ball they do not move the ball to get open shots as they did in past years. College basketball is not as good as it was.

12 minutes ago, GOSLU68 said:

My wife and I actually went to game- first half I commented it appeared SLU players were watching Fordham play basketball. Second half a different Billiken team looked engaged. Some good minutes on defense and we climbed back in game. I thought it was entertaining. Crowd became supportive ties at 55 and 63. I was sorry Courcic did not get more minutes and I don’t understand getting 

outplayed in the paint you would think at some point SVB would get in game. Neither Ezewiro nor Bruce can control rebounds on their own. I would try twin towers. Wish we could have won but after watching the Cardinals last season I would say we are stuck with bad teams. We have some athletic players but they don’t play well with and for their teamates. 

i watched the start of Dayton game- same thing there (except maybe they shoot better) players want to score when they get the ball they do not move the ball to get open shots as they did in past years. College basketball is not as good as it was.

It’s illegal for CTF to go big, God forbid you put in TWO people taller than 6’5”! That’s not how Pitino did it in 1992, he liked the 5’9” PG and other skinny guys and shorties.  Adjusting and putting size in the game is illegal at SLU, like pressing.

It all comes down to the loss can be blamed on missing key players like Dalger and Meadows JR.  With them available, we obviously win.  #FordApologistPost

12 hours ago, TRN said:

For $1 - $1.5M I’d bet he’d come home.  Tommy Amaker, Johnny Dawkins, and Chris Collins were Dukies for life, too.

So, Torch is saying Chris has no problem with playing an AC for life. I would think the objective of anyone who gets into the coaching biz is to one day run their own SHOW. I don’t know Carawell so really can’t say what his goals are. But, if he’s content to sit behind Scheyer, who’s young, for the next 20 or so years then we wouldn’t want him anyways. We want someone whose ambition is to be recognized as a top flight HC. Whether he uses SLU as a stepping stone is not that important because he’s not going to achieve a better job unless he achieves success here. Look at X as a model for successful coaches who move up the food chain. Yeah, we would prefer a Mark Few type who’s content to stay for life, but they are like rare jewels, hard to find. 

73Billiken likes this

TJ is sometimes frustrating to watch. I was hoping what he did in the LA Tech game might have been an epiphany for him. As in he should be more aggressive in going to the hoop or pulling up for a 3. He does get aggressive on occasion but not consistently. 

48 minutes ago, TRN said:

It’s illegal for CTF to go big, God forbid you put in TWO people taller than 6’5”! That’s not how Pitino did it in 1992, he liked the 5’9” PG and other skinny guys and shorties.  Adjusting and putting size in the game is illegal at SLU, like pressing.

It all comes down to the loss can be blamed on missing key players like Dalger and Meadows JR.  With them available, we obviously win.  #FordApologistPost

To be an authentic Ford apologist post, one must complain about a big source of this team’s problems — the referees!!!

“We had some tough calls go against us. Sincere Parker got killed going to the basket with under a minute (remaining). Absolutely killed. I think we had a goaltending they didn’t call and all of a sudden they get two goaltends (in their favor). Some things went against us under a minute.”

4 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

To be an authentic Ford apologist post, one must complain about a big source of this team’s problems — the referees!!!

“We had some tough calls go against us. Sincere Parker got killed going to the basket with under a minute (remaining). Absolutely killed. I think we had a goaltending they didn’t call and all of a sudden they get two goaltends (in their favor). Some things went against us under a minute.”

Ford touched on both points in the post game presser.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

So, Torch is saying Chris has no problem with playing an AC for life. I would think the objective of anyone who gets into the coaching biz is to one day run their own SHOW. I don’t know Carawell so really can’t say what his goals are. But, if he’s content to sit behind Scheyer, who’s young, for the next 20 or so years then we wouldn’t want him anyways. We want someone whose ambition is to be recognized as a top flight HC. Whether he uses SLU as a stepping stone is not that important because he’s not going to achieve a better job unless he achieves success here. Look at X as a model for successful coaches who move up the food chain. Yeah, we would prefer a Mark Few type who’s content to stay for life, but they are like rare jewels, hard to find. 

In fairness, SLU hasn’t tried in the modern age. The only exception is Romar. We have had 3/4 coaches with substantial experience who wanted to ride out the end of their careers here, because they have seen other programs. Who is to say that a solid up and comer wouldn’t plan to settle in? Good recruiting playground, decent amount of money, and solid facilities. That said, you have to hire an up and comer, and then that person have success, to test the theory.

For all the hate Curcic gets (granted, from a vocal minority on this board), I think he’s got promise. He’s undersized, but he’s an excellent shooter, works hard on the defensive end, and plays smart. Curcic and Kellen were on the floor when the comeback happened (I love TJ, but he was on the bench during this time). 

Much like defenses have figured out Gibson (yet another clunker of a game), I feel they’ve done the same with Ezewiro. For a big, strong guy, he gets blocked a lot.

Gremio14 and MB73 like this

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Is that an actual quote?  If so, you gotta be sh*tting me.  

That’s his tenure in a nutshell, excuses galore and no ownership.  When you point the finger there are 3 pointing back at you.

I was partially watching, but the guy doing the game on tv even said something along the lines of even UNC misses the tournament every once in awhile and then proceeded to say this is Ford’s only down year at SLU and that he has been really unlucky with injuries and such. Watching that game you would have assumed the Billikens and Fordham were battling for the top spot in the league based on the propaganda level commentary.

SLU_Nick likes this

The in-game commentary has been disturbing.  Alexa Datt, Scott Highmark, Troy Robertson and now John Giannini have all said poor CTF and poor SLU with all the injuries.  Again, to me it is roster assembly and role player talent.  Parker I get but the rest must be coming from pre-game interviews with CTF and the SLU staff.  Since this team can't seem to fathom defense, what about offense?  Meadows, Hughes, Thames and Medley all average about 5 ppg.  Zhang is at just under 3.  That's 23 ppg from 5 guys.  Jimerson can't get open.  Parker is going on-against-the-world.  Ezewiro is limited and Hargrove is inconsistent.  

Adman likes this

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The in-game commentary has been disturbing.  Alexa Datt, Scott Highmark, Troy Robertson and now John Giannini have all said poor CTF and poor SLU with all the injuries.  Again, to me it is roster assembly and role player talent.  Parker I get but the rest must be coming from pre-game interviews with CTF and the SLU staff.  Since this team can't seem to fathom defense, what about offense?  Meadows, Hughes, Thames and Medley all average about 5 ppg.  Zhang is at just under 3.  That's 23 ppg from 5 guys.  Jimerson can't get open.  Parker is going on-against-the-world.  Ezewiro is limited and Hargrove is inconsistent.  

The injury excuse is total BS.  Parker has been back for 7 games and we’re 1-6.  As the games continue it exposes our weak lineup and atrocious coaching.  Like my old high school football coach said, “excuses are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink.”

Travis must have the most bad luck ever according to the talking heads. Or, perhaps he’s a bad coach.

thatskablamo and Soderball like this