2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the anticipated major structural changes coming to college sports, I would think that veteran college coaches would be at a relative disadvantage.  
Going forward, it might make more sense to pursue a current coach in the professional ranks - ability to handle paid athletes, short term rather than long term commitments, player budgets, etc.

TaLBErt and brianstl like this

18 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

With all the anticipated major structural changes coming to college sports, I would think that veteran college coaches would be at a relative disadvantage.  
Going forward, it might make more sense to pursue a current coach in the professional ranks - ability to handle paid athletes, short term rather than long term commitments, player budgets, etc.

Some teams are hiring what is the equivalent of a GM - I think that is a smart idea to consider.

slufan13 likes this

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

How have you not suggested Drew Diener yet?

• Drew Diener (Rockhurst)
  • Blake Ahearn (Memphis Grizzlies assistant)
  • Mark Byington (James Madison)
  • Chris Carrawell (Duke assistant)
  • Darian DeVries (Drake)
  • Bryce Drew (Grand Canyon)
  • Andy Enfield (USC)
  • Mitch Henderson (Princeton)
  • Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)
  • Pat Kelsey (Charleston)
  • Dustin Kerns (Appalachian State)
  • Steve Lutz (Western Kentucky)
  • Chris Mack (Retired)
  • Ben McCullom (Northwest Missouri State)
  • Bucky McMillan (Samford)
  • Mike Morrell (UNC-Asheville)
  • Porter Moser (Oklahoma)
  • Josh Schertz (Indiana State)
  • Todd Simon (Bowling Green)
  • Nevada Smith (Marquette assistant)
  • Mark Turgeon (Retired)
  • Brian Wardle (Bradley)
  • Sundance Wicks (Green Bay)
  • Jay Wright (Retired)

Fine. 👨🏼‍⚖️

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

How have you not suggested Drew Diener yet?

I can't tell you how many times I've almost posted that, Diener express toot toot. He could form a staff compromised of 86% Dieners. We'd lock down recruiting Fon du lac.

But he hasn't lit it up at Rockhurst.  I took it so far last time that I emailed him and he answered.  Nice guy. Wish he was winning more.

5 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I can't tell you how many times I've almost posted that, Diener express toot toot. He could form a staff compromised of 86% Dieners. We'd lock down recruiting Fon du lac.

But he hasn't lit it up at Rockhurst.  I took it so far last time that I emailed him and he answered.  Nice guy. Wish he was winning more.

NO to Drew Diener!!!   He is the only SLU athlete I have ever yelled at.   I had just moved to Florida and my dad came down to visit so I got us courtside tickets to the SLU/USF game  (God I miss C-USA)   We were playing well but Diener kept turning the ball over unforced.   After the third one, where he threw the ball over my head,  I stood up and yelled  "Diener YOU ARE TERRIBLE!"   I do not regret my outburst.  The USF fans were laughing their butts off.  And we lost of course.   I always found it amusing that there were three Dieners in the same conference at the same time for three different schools and we got the worst one.   

DirtyRican and pakapablo like this

37 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

NO to Drew Diener!!!   He is the only SLU athlete I have ever yelled at.   I had just moved to Florida and my dad came down to visit so I got us courtside tickets to the SLU/USF game  (God I miss C-USA)   We were playing well but Diener kept turning the ball over unforced.   After the third one, where he threw the ball over my head,  I stood up and yelled  "Diener YOU ARE TERRIBLE!"   I do not regret my outburst.  The USF fans were laughing their butts off.  And we lost of course.   I always found it amusing that there were three Dieners in the same conference at the same time for three different schools and we got the worst one.   

Drew was recruited by Spoon, knowing there were more behind him. Travis was a top priority for Romar's staff, who thought they had him lined up. He went to Marquette at the 11th hour and they were devastated. We recruited Drake, too, but I'm not sure where we stood in his overall picture before he chose DePaul. We also got Rachel on the women's side and she worked in the MBB office for a while out of school.

Drew was a really good shooter and pesky defender but limited athletically. You wouldn't want the ball in his hands for too long on a given possession. Not much of a passer, not going to beat guys off the dribble. No bounce whatsoever. He got a hard time for his lack of a vertical. But he was a great locker room guy. Hilarious. Really goofy.

45 minutes ago, OkieBilliken said:

Rick Majerus was bad at basketball. In fact he was called Rick the Pick because that was the only thing he was good at. Travis Ford was very good at basketball, he is not a very good basketball coach.

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:
  • Drew Diener (Rockhurst)
  • Blake Ahearn (Memphis Grizzlies assistant)
  • Mark Byington (James Madison)
  • Chris Carrawell (Duke assistant)
  • Darian DeVries (Drake)
  • Bryce Drew (Grand Canyon)
  • Andy Enfield (USC)
  • Mitch Henderson (Princeton)
  • Chris Holtmann (Ohio State)
  • Pat Kelsey (Charleston)
  • Dustin Kerns (Appalachian State)
  • Steve Lutz (Western Kentucky)
  • Chris Mack (Retired)
  • Ben McCullom (Northwest Missouri State)
  • Bucky McMillan (Samford)
  • Mike Morrell (UNC-Asheville)
  • Porter Moser (Oklahoma)
  • Josh Schertz (Indiana State)
  • Todd Simon (Bowling Green)
  • Nevada Smith (Marquette assistant)
  • Mark Turgeon (Retired)
  • Brian Wardle (Bradley)
  • Sundance Wicks (Green Bay)
  • Jay Wright (Retired)

Fine. 👨🏼‍⚖️

We can trim Jay Wright. Better chance at landing Brad Stevens

49 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Drew was recruited by Spoon, knowing there were more behind him. Travis was a top priority for Romar's staff, who thought they had him lined up. He went to Marquette at the 11th hour and they were devastated. We recruited Drake, too, but I'm not sure where we stood in his overall picture before he chose DePaul. We also got Rachel on the women's side and she worked in the MBB office for a while out of school.

Drew was a really good shooter and pesky defender but limited athletically. You wouldn't want the ball in his hands for too long on a given possession. Not much of a passer, not going to beat guys off the dribble. No bounce whatsoever. He got a hard time for his lack of a vertical. But he was a great locker room guy. Hilarious. Really goofy.

Drake was a nice player...on the last DePaul team to make the NCAA tournament, to give you an idea of how long it's been for them.

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Still can! We could hire him, Soderberg, Romar...

Would never happen, but Soderberg would have tremendous value as one of these newly-allowed staff positions that can coach/scout. 

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Would never happen, but Soderberg would have tremendous value as one of these newly-allowed staff positions that can coach/scout. 

That would make my fan life come full circle, Soderberg was coach when I started going to games.

On 2/8/2024 at 2:22 PM, JMM28 said:

That is what he does at Virginia.  He's no longer a asst coach.

I think Brad's plan is to retire and assist on Kramer's staff at Milliken.

Heard some rumblings this week. I was told by a friend that the newspaper in Minneapolis had an article on possible coaching changes. In the article, they speculated that former Minnesota coach, Richard Pitino was headed to SLU. 

His teams were very up and down at Minnesota, but he had just 1 year of head coaching experience when they hired him.  Looks like he has figured out the transfer portal at New Mexico.

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, House said:

Heard some rumblings this week. I was told by a friend that the newspaper in Minneapolis had an article on possible coaching changes. In the article, they speculated that former Minnesota coach, Richard Pitino was headed to SLU. 

His teams were very up and down at Minnesota, but he had just 1 year of head coaching experience when they hired him.  Looks like he has figured out the transfer portal at New Mexico.

Thoughts?

He's coaching a T25 team in a 5 bid conf. Granted money is a big difference right now, NM can pay a lot more than they are currently 

50 minutes ago, House said:

Thoughts?

He's a name, he's having success at the mid major level and he's only 41 years old.  There's a lot to like whether you are Board of Trustee member or an MBM.  He's done a good job of reshaping his reputation as a coach.

TheChosenOne and Noco Bill like this

4 hours ago, House said:

Thoughts?

This is from SI.com. The St. Paul Pioneer Press article is behind a paywall.

Pitino's success in Albuquerque could spawn bigger jobs. This one probably doesn't qualify as a bigger job, but Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that Pitino "could be in line for the Saint Louis University coaching job."

17 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This is from SI.com. The St. Paul Pioneer Press article is behind a paywall.

Pitino's success in Albuquerque could spawn bigger jobs. This one probably doesn't qualify as a bigger job, but Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press is reporting that Pitino "could be in line for the Saint Louis University coaching job."

I hope this is right - for two reasons.  1. It means everybody knows that Ford is gone - that is good news and 2. a name of somebody who is not your typical retread.

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I hope this is right - for two reasons.  1. It means everybody knows that Ford is gone - that is good news and 2. a name of somebody who is not your typical retread.

At this point I'd take Air Bud yeah he hasn't done much as a coach but he did win a championship as a player, got dat dog in him.

This could work, MWC is tough this year the rest of the record is just ok.  Would want to watch the games to see the  team on O and D.

45 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

At this point I'd take Air Bud yeah he hasn't done much as a coach but he did win a championship as a player, got dat dog in him.

This could work, MWC is tough this year the rest of the record is just ok.  Would want to watch the games to see the  team on O and D.

I would take someone like this over a retread, need new thinking with the NIL.  Not sure if this is exactly the right person, but I’d take him over any retread.