2024 SLU Men's Basketball Head Coaching Search

29 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I think there are a lot of good discussion points in here, but really curious what “salvage the season” would be defined as. If Sincere comes back and this team ends up as an 18 win team, that doesn’t really show anything. It’s just kind of an arbitrary goal post. The only question that needs to be answered is if Travis Ford is the best coach to get SLU into the tournament going forward. Sincere coming back and the team looking a bit better doesn’t answer that question, for me at least. 

Salvaging the season means going .500 in January, going on a run in February and continuing that run to the conference tournament finals.  Then a case could be made that if the roster had been healthy all along, the traumatic blowout losses in non-conference never would have happened.  

As it stands, I don't think the coaching staff can be competitive in the transfer portal.  We're not sitting on pots of money and we're at the bottom of the A-10.  A salesman needs a reasonably attractive product to sell.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I think there are a lot of good discussion points in here, but really curious what “salvage the season” would be defined as. If Sincere comes back and this team ends up as an 18 win team, that doesn’t really show anything. It’s just kind of an arbitrary goal post. The only question that needs to be answered is if Travis Ford is the best coach to get SLU into the tournament going forward. Sincere coming back and the team looking a bit better doesn’t answer that question, for me at least. 

Sincere coming back and playing along with Ezewiro the team playing at a tournament level. I don’t set arbitrary win totals. At one point this season I saw someone say well, we are just one win off what I had predicted. Do you place no importance on what is going on in those games beyond the final W or L? This team stinks to this point, but there is still the excuse of being without Sincere and previously Ezewiro too. Back to Sincere, on the off chance he comes back and the team plays like a tournament caliber team and then if you had the belief Jimerson was returning along with Parker and Ezewiro after a couple of months playing like a top 40 type team, I could buy into kicking the can down the road another season. I’ll let it play out, heck, there is nothing else I can do about it haha. I’m just trying to hold out some hope.

Your 2nd to last sentence should be the only consideration in a couple of months when a decision needs to be made.

11 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Sincere coming back and playing along with Ezewiro the team playing at a tournament level. I don’t set arbitrary win totals. At one point this season I saw someone say well, we are just one win off what I had predicted. Do you place no importance on what is going on in those games beyond the final W or L? This team stinks to this point, but there is still the excuse of being without Sincere and previously Ezewiro too. Back to Sincere, on the off chance he comes back and the team plays like a tournament caliber team and then if you had the belief Jimerson was returning along with Parker and Ezewiro after a couple of months playing like a top 40 type team, I could buy into kicking the can down the road another season. I’ll let it play out, heck, there is nothing else I can do about it haha. I’m just trying to hold out some hope.

Your 2nd to last sentence should be the only consideration in a couple of months when a decision needs to be made.

Oh, in no way was I saying you’re placing those arbitrary win totals, just using it as a jumping off point. You’re right in that all we can do is let it play out. I’m fairly confident Sincere returning will make it more fun, but not address the biggest issue of the team: defense. Regardless, if the big money wants Travis, he’ll be here, whether we like it or not. 

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

What does Wade’s show cause penalty, and does it include a postseason ban that could be transferred with him to SLU?

With the transfer portal making immediate turnarounds possible, and the overall state of the A10, it’s not unreasonable to believe a hire like Wade or Mack could have us dancing their first or second year.  Just need some financial backing in NIL. 

That’s the key. No coach worth his salt is going to take the job w/o an NIL checkbook. Kids aren’t likely to be swayed only by a coach’s rep. They’re gonna ask how much do I get. 

slu92 and billiken_roy like this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

What does Wade’s show cause penalty, and does it include a postseason ban that could be transferred with him to SLU?

With the transfer portal making immediate turnarounds possible, and the overall state of the A10, it’s not unreasonable to believe a hire like Wade or Mack could have us dancing their first or second year.  Just need some financial backing in NIL. 

I don’t think there’s a postseason ban for Wade. There may be recruiting restrictions placed on him, which may apply, or that SLU would have to submit paperwork to argue that they shouldn’t have imposed on them. The other thing is that employing a coach on a show cause sets a school up to face more severe punishment from the NCAA if the coach is found to be in violation of NCAA rules while under the Show Cause.

Other than any potential fallout from the show cause, I don’t have any issues with Wade.  “Recruiting violations” doesn’t hold the same weight or stigma that it used to have, in my opinion.  Kids get paid and have for a while and it’s basically professional sports.  No moral high ground over here…

1 hour ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Other than any potential fallout from the show cause, I don’t have any issues with Wade.  “Recruiting violations” doesn’t hold the same weight or stigma that it used to have, in my opinion.  Kids get paid and have for a while and it’s basically professional sports.  No moral high ground over here…

Chris Beard “allegedly” strangled his wife, and now he’s got the Rebels at 13-0. It’s about winning and $, nothing else.

50 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Chris Beard “allegedly” strangled his wife, and now he’s got the Rebels at 13-0. It’s about winning and $, nothing else.

First off Girlfriend and no charges were ever filed. Dude is the best coach out there.

Not only about winning but mostly about winning.

Throwing another name out there that's a bit different.

Remember when SLU played the "Duke of Canada" Carleton University?

Well Dave Smart former Carleton HC is now an assistant at TTU and they are 11-2.

Has serious experience and good results at the Canadian College and FIBA National Team Level.

Also added bonus we can pay this guy in Canadian Dollars which are like waaaaaay less than real Dollars.

https://texastech.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/dave-smart/3927

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Smart

SLU_Lax likes this

No matter what games I’ve watched all week, I see better coaching than at SLU.  SLU has awful offense and defense combined.  At least today there was a more concerted effort to get the ball to the low post without starting the big in a pick and roll at the top of the key.

But, it’s inevitable that we’ll get behind in the first half, play poor defense, commit dumb fouls, and not run a cohesive offense. Then, if we’re close at half we’ll figure a way to lose by double digits.  Our coach will lose his sh*t and run on the court throughout the game. But, he played for Pitino at Kentucky 30+ years ago so he must be great.  Although what he coaches has no semblance of that system.

Today we hit some late shots to make a 15-20 point loss look more pleasant as a 12 point loss.  If anything, we helped some gamblers out and got a participation ribbon, all for $2.5 million a year.

I feel bad for TJ, that kid busts his ass and has a positive attitude. He’s improved a lot over the years.

Didn’t know where to post this.  I just read on X that the Billiken’s last 2nd weekend appearance was in 1957.  This is the longest drought of any of the current members of the A-10.  The next longest is Duquesne, which goes back to 1969.  Guess whoever replaces CTF will have that goal to shoot for.

16 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

If you want to get your rocks off on semantics, it was actually his fiancée. 

Sorry didn't mean to respond Courtside style.

I'm worried Rodney Terry is Texas' Crews.  Although he's recruited really well they lost at home to TTU last night. 

I don't have any names to offer up but I will say if you don't go with people who have a connection to the Midwest you will be at the very least extending the rebuild or not getting success.  I know the NIL has changed a lot of things but we are not going to get in on bidding wars and win many so finding kids who have a reason to stay in the Midwest can hurt in the NIL process.  Money is important but you always need a tie breaker

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I don't have any names to offer up but I will say if you don't go with people who have a connection to the Midwest you will be at the very least extending the rebuild or not getting success.  I know the NIL has changed a lot of things but we are not going to get in on bidding wars and win many so finding kids who have a reason to stay in the Midwest can hurt in the NIL process.  Money is important but you always need a tie breaker

If Coach A and Coach B are equal and A has experience in the Midwest. I agree it could be a factor. However, narrowing the search down to someone with experience in the mid-west is unnecessary in my opinion.  College football for example, Nick Saban never coached in the south until he went to LSU, Urban Meyer Utah to UF.  Pitino Providence to UK. Tony Bennett Green Bay to WSU to UVA. Shaka VCU, UT, Marq. John Wooden went from Indiana St to UCLA. 

So not necessarily required.   

53 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

If Coach A and Coach B are equal and A has experience in the Midwest. I agree it could be a factor. However, narrowing the search down to someone with experience in the mid-west is unnecessary in my opinion.  College football for example, Nick Saban never coached in the south until he went to LSU, Urban Meyer Utah to UF.  Pitino Providence to UK. Tony Bennett Green Bay to WSU to UVA. Shaka VCU, UT, Marq. John Wooden went from Indiana St to UCLA. 

So not necessarily required.   

Just look at Missouri football - Drinkwitz was from AR and he has used his complete background to rebuild the Tigers.  He also has exposure in the Southeast and he has recruited in that area along with his Midwest/ southwest ties.  Pitino is a national name, Shaka being to the final 4 twice at VCU I believe makes him a national name plus his experience at FL which had a big presence in their Dance runs.  Bennet made the most of his father's ties I am sure.  Meyer was another national name with National Championships.  Saban once again was a national name.   I would very surprised but glad if SLU could get a national name or someone who has national ties - I just don't have a lot of faith in that happening

At various points I have been all in on local recruiting but I have changed my mind on this.

I like having local players.  We should recruit them.  Right now we have the most beloved guy in STL hoops and he isn't getting us top area talent so this may be the best we can do.

What we need is a coach who has a system and can identify players that will excel in it that will come to SLU.  Ford doesn't do this.  Crews didn't do this.  If a local kid fits the bill try to get him but there are many areas that we can recruit and with most of the kids all going to the same locations to play tourneys it makes it easier to recruit nationwide.

Our formula should be multiple smallish ball handling guards who can shoot with 2 active rim protectors.  Fill in the rest with matchup problems, big guys who can shoot, small guys who can rebound, more shooters and take flyers on elite defenders.

We shouldn't be recruiting local or midwest just to recruit there.  Our roster is filled with these type of players, local guys who don't fit in our system and end up being mismatched pieces sitting on the bench who either think they are good enough to transfer or just stay here and ride the pine.

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

At various points I have been all in on local recruiting but I have changed my mind on this.

I like having local players.  We should recruit them.  Right now we have the most beloved guy in STL hoops and he isn't getting us top area talent so this may be the best we can do.

What we need is a coach who has a system and can identify players that will excel in it that will come to SLU.  Ford doesn't do this.  Crews didn't do this.  If a local kid fits the bill try to get him but there are many areas that we can recruit and with most of the kids all going to the same locations to play tourneys it makes it easier to recruit nationwide.

Our formula should be multiple smallish ball handling guards who can shoot with 2 active rim protectors.  Fill in the rest with matchup problems, big guys who can shoot, small guys who can rebound, more shooters and take flyers on elite defenders.

We shouldn't be recruiting local or midwest just to recruit there.  Our roster is filled with these type of players, local guys who don't fit in our system and end up being mismatched pieces sitting on the bench who either think they are good enough to transfer or just stay here and ride the pine.

The only guys that have done this in the past 60 years have been Spoon and Majerus.  That's it.  When you look at the likely free agent market after the season, you don't see that guy.  It's Chris Mack, who could jump right back into high major D-1 if he wants, and everybody else. 

There may be an up and comer in the free agent market who becomes the next Chris Mack but the risk-averse BOT isn't going to bring him here.  They're culturally incapable of it.  There's a reason that those kinds of success stories happen at St. Mary's and Florida Atlantic and not at so-called established mid-majors.  Programs and boosters who feel they have nothing to lose are willing to take a lot bigger risks.

billiken_roy likes this

53 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I am not saying only recruit locally - what I am saying is if the coach doesn't have Midwest ties it will be difficult to be successful.  Midwest ties cover a lot more area then StL.  Additionally, the Midwest also gives you ties to parts of the Southeast and Southwest given its location.  An East or West coast guy will be limited unless he is a national name.  I never really bought into the local recruiting mantra.  Our net has to be wider.

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The only guys that have done this in the past 60 years have been Spoon and Majerus.  That's it.  When you look at the likely free agent market after the season, you don't see that guy.  It's Chris Mack, who could jump right back into high major D-1 if he wants, and everybody else. 

There may be an up and comer in the free agent market who becomes the next Chris Mack but the risk-averse BOT isn't going to bring him here.  They're culturally incapable of it.  There's a reason that those kinds of success stories happen at St. Mary's and Florida Atlantic and not at so-called established mid-majors.  Programs and boosters who feel they have nothing to lose are willing to take a lot bigger risks.

I agree with you about SLU being risk averse, but they are actually at the point where they have nothing to lose.  The team isn’t even a top 200 team (much less tournament contender), recruiting has cratered and we have our worst average attendance (Not including the COVID season) since 1985-86.  1985-86 was Roland Gray’s and Monroe Douglass’s freshman season and the first winning season the Billikens had since 1972-73.

thetorch and Soderball like this

The next hot coaches are out there. You just have to dig in and find them. Look at May at FL ATL. That school was noted for it’s sailing team. They found a guy who brought them a Final 4 in BB. The next one is there, just look. Hire a firm to do an analysis on guys like May. See what they have in common, what types of programs they coached at, players they recruited. Do the analytics. They are there. They pop up every year. I’ll wager in the next 2-3 years some guy we’ve never heard of will have some low mid major school in the Sweet 16, elite eight or better. Will we still  be scratching our heads saying why can’t we find a guy like that?  He or she is out there find one. 

36 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The next hot coaches are out there. You just have to dig in and find them. Look at May at FL ATL. That school was noted for it’s sailing team. They found a guy who brought them a Final 4 in BB. The next one is there, just look. Hire a firm to do an analysis on guys like May. See what they have in common, what types of programs they coached at, players they recruited. Do the analytics. They are there. They pop up every year. I’ll wager in the next 2-3 years some guy we’ve never heard of will have some low mid major school in the Sweet 16, elite eight or better. Will we still  be scratching our heads saying why can’t we find a guy like that?  He or she is out there find one. 

That is work Chris May simply won’t do.

While this is all interesting to look at coaches and see what potential they could have, I hate to point out the obvious: until someone comes up with the money to buy out Travis Ford’s contract, he’s our coach.

I know this is a post about a new coach, but I hope the priority is to hire a new AD who has connections with both Big East leadership and a close network and vision for a new coaching staff. The school has out-invested pretty much every other basketball-only program in the country in facilities and charter travel, now it is time to develop a leadership team and strategy to get the top return on this investment.