GDT: SLU v. Utah St.

SluSignGuy

Parker is the best rebounder and scorer on the Billikens, even better scoring than Jimerson and that's saying something.

USU is a new team with 11 new players and just landed their first road win; they lost at Bradley, so they obviously have had some difficulty gelling and winning road games. They panicked and nearly dropped it last night. I'm sure their fans are relieved to be winning just as we are excited about the prospect of losing games by less than expected.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Ya'll realize USU has a coach in his first year with 11 new players.  Our coach is in his 8th year. We have no proven front court. A 6'3 guard wasn't going to change the front court issue. 

"They don't ask how.  They ask how many. " - Shoresy

There are no style points in basketball.  If you outscore the other team you win.   If you grab 4 more rebounds and make 3 more shots, that can be the difference between winning and losing. 

I get that the only narrative people want to discuss is Coach Ford no matter what the players show us on the court.   I get that you will have no other narrative unless we win the A10 tournament.  But what thread are we allowed to discuss the players accomplishments' if every thread is turned into a referendum on Coach Ford?

-so USU's coach is in his first season, he and two good players came from Montana St, had to construct an entire roster less one player, HAS ALL THE TRANSFERS ELIGIBLE, and that team looks like it could get to the  tourney? contrast that to our current state, sure makes me wonder

-I believe CFord has become or is so emotional that it impacts his ability to coach, interact with players, the assistants and officials -- there were a few times last night where there were intense conversations with the staff that made it look like they all weren't on the same page

-I was pleased to see TJH and Bruce in the game at the same time

-our defense, if that's what it is called, dug a hole that our offense couldn't fill

26 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Parker is the best rebounder and scorer on the Billikens, even better scoring than Jimerson and that's saying something.

USU is a new team with 11 new players and just landed their first road win; they lost at Bradley, so they obviously have had some difficulty gelling and winning road games. They panicked and nearly dropped it last night. I'm sure their fans are relieved to be winning just as we are excited about the prospect of losing games by less than expected.

USU lost on the road to a very good Bradley team in OT.  The same Bradley team that handily beat VT.  That should give you perspective of how good Bradley is.  That was not at all a bad loss for USU.

JMM28 likes this

1 hour ago, papal said:

our offensive rebounding is awful.  We attempt a shot  from further than 10 feet and no one goes near the basket to retrieve a rebound.  We don't give up fast-break points, but teams don't care because they can score inside on us in the half court at will.  Ford was quoted as saying we need to play more like Jordan Goodwin but he needs to coach us properly so that we can rebound despite our size.  I would also like to see Bruce get the ball passed to him in the low post. Of course he needs to be positioned there and not at the free throw line.

their rebounding fundamentals are horrible.   NOBODY blocks out and holds the block until the ball is coming off the rim.   last night the Johnson 7 footer, had a couple over the back rebounds that he easily got without fouling because dalger didnt block out.  it went on all day and imo the rebounding was the difference in the game.  

AGB91 likes this

I know the numbers are low still but SVB with 2 boards, and Bruce with 3 boards against a good front court is a feel good moment. 

Not sure we can say we win with Parker.  The game wasn't a blowout because they pulled a SLU.  Got way too relaxed and conservative.  Having Parker likely doesn't allow them to get so relaxed. 

MM and GIbby need to step up and do what they did last night more constantly. Obviously Im not saying at that rate, because they were very efficient, but they didnt hide like both have done too many times this season already. I said because the season I thought we had the best 1-3 in the conf.  If MM and Gibby continue with this urgency, and bring Parker back in  he mix I think we may get back there.

Dalger is a 7-8 man on this team, currently. 

28 minutes ago, Soderball said:

initially i was not a parker fan due to his black hole of once he gets it it isnt getting passed.   but by the time the billikens got to myrtle beach the stats showed that parker was shooting 50% from the field.   if a player is shooting that well i dont care if he ever passes.  keep shooting!  now dalger, who appears thinks he is parker, isnt shooting 50%, he needs to pass or improve.   doubting either is going to happen.

Soderball likes this

There was a moment last night that it was either LHJ or Tim, who was all alone on a def rebound with two USU players closing in. He back peddled in a box out position all the way to the free throw line and didn't touch a single USU player on the way.  It was the ugliest attempt of whatever it was I had ever seen.  This obviously led to an incredibly easy putback 2.

25 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-so USU's coach is in his first season, he and two good players came from Montana St, had to construct an entire roster less one player, HAS ALL THE TRANSFERS ELIGIBLE, and that team looks like it could get to the  tourney? contrast that to our current state, sure makes me wonder

-I believe CFord has become or is so emotional that it impacts his ability to coach, interact with players, the assistants and officials -- there were a few times last night where there were intense conversations with the staff that made it look like they all weren't on the same page

-our defense, if that's what it is called, dug a hole that our offense couldn't fill

while i agree the defense through the first 3 quarters was bad, but when we started playing fast on both ends we did force some turnovers, pressured some shots, and all at once were back in the game.  the real question is when will ford face the truth that this team is not a half court team and speed up the game on both ends?

MB73 likes this

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are no style points in basketball.  If you outscore the other team you win.   If you grab 4 more rebounds and make 3 more shots, that can be the difference between winning and losing. 

I get that the only narrative people want to discuss is Coach Ford no matter what the players show us on the court.   I get that you will have no other other narrative unless we win the A10 tournament.  But what thread are we allowed to discuss the players accomplishments' if every thread is turned into a referendum on Coach Ford?

I'm also discussing Parker he's a 6'3 G. He wasn't going to fix the rebounding issues. That's the problem. Who is blocking out?  In addition to being lost on defense. They mix in a zone to confuse the other team it kinda works but they don't run it well and slide over when they need to close down on the ball handler. They gave up easy inside baskets which the zone is supposed to prevent. 

Is that enough discussion? Am I wrong in the assessment above? Or am I supposed to lament that if we only had the nation's leader in assists we would've won, or the B12 PoY, or a current player on the Suns.   None of those players mattered so why would Parker who averaged 12 mpg last season? There is 1 common denominator.  What matters is a lack of consistent execution of an offense, a defense and the roster construction. 

But But But if 1 more 3 falls and the shooter is fouled but we get the rebound on the FT for a put back we would've gotten to OT. So close. 

Yeah I get that if you're a sunshine pumper that this is tedious.  I'm sorry I'm really mad that we're in this bull**** situation and I'm going to vent until it changes.   Maybe I'll find other ways to vent like voice my displeasure to the school,  BoT, donors,  commercial partners. If ya'll want to start an email campaign let's gather names and contact info and start.  I'm tired of the bull****.

TaLBErt and gobillsgo like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

while i agree the defense through the first 3 quarters was bad, but when we started playing fast on both ends we did force some turnovers, pressured some shots, and all at once were back in the game.  the real question is when will ford face the truth that this team is not a half court team and speed up the game on both ends?

He's an incredibly stubborn coach, we've seen things like this or 8 years now. We need to be playing fast most of the game, in every game, for the whole season. 

Just now, wgstl said:

He's an incredibly stubborn coach, we've seen things like this or 8 years now. We need to be playing fast most of the game, in every game, for the whole season. 

playing fast is the only way i even play hargrove.   he was very effective those last 7 or 8 minutes.   the first 3/4 of the game he was not doing much of anything.   not his fault, two very effective bigs in the lane.   he tries hard and we all know he is an athlete deluxe.  but 6'3" doesnt measure up to 6'8" or 7 foot.  

if we play fast his athleticism becomes relevant and an asset.  

I recall watching last years NCAA and how having a big front court was a big advantage for the teams that were advancing. Purdue was the biggest exception losing to Furman. Back in the 60s to early 80s college ball was a game dominated by bigs. The 3 pt shot changed it somewhat and everyone said it’s a guards game. But that’s not totally true. Height equals might as it will almost always dominate two of the games basic skills; rebounds  and interior D. Now I’m not forgetting the success Spoon had with height challenged teams, but he had some exceptional shooters. He got by with our version of Barkley in Donne. But when we to the dance not so much when we faced teams with good big men. Point being it’s damn difficult to win many games when you’re losing the board battles and have little chance of stopping their bigs from scoring on the inside. All the time while they deny you your inside scoring. We’ve got a tough road to travel playing small ball and having only one legit 3 point shooter. 

BLIKNS likes this

8 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I'm also discussing Parker he's a 6'3 G. He wasn't going to fix the rebounding issues. That's the problem. Who is blocking out?  In addition to being lost on defense. They mix in a zone to confuse the other team it kinda works but they don't run it well and slide over when they need to close down on the ball handler. They gave up easy inside baskets which the zone is supposed to prevent. 

Is that enough discussion? Am I wrong in the assessment above? Or am I supposed to lament that if we only had the nation's leader in assists we would've won, or the B12 PoY, or a current player on the Suns.   None of those players mattered so why would Parker who averaged 12 mpg last season? There is 1 common denominator.  What matters is a lack of consistent execution of an offense, a defense and the roster construction. 

But But But if 1 more 3 falls and the shooter is fouled but we get the rebound on the FT for a put back we would've gotten to OT. So close. 

Yeah I get that if you're a sunshine pumper that this is tedious.  I'm sorry I really mad that we're in this bull**** situation and I'm going to vent until it changes.   Maybe I'll find other ways to vent like voice my displeasure to the school,  BoT, donors,  commercial partners. If ya'll want to start an email campaign let's gather names and contact info and start.  I'm tired of the bull****.

I get it.  I'm even cool if you guys pin a thread to the top where you vent about all of Coach Ford shortcomings every game.  But hijacking every thread to vent about Coach Ford isn't fair to the other posters on this board.  We didn't do anything to you.

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

playing fast is the only way i even play hargrove.   he was very effective those last 7 or 8 minutes.   the first 3/4 of the game he was not doing much of anything.   not his fault, two very effective bigs in the lane.   he tries hard and we all know he is an athlete deluxe.  but 6'3" doesnt measure up to 6'8" or 7 foot.  

if we play fast his athleticism becomes relevant and an asset.  

And... you can try to wear out opp big men. slowing down the game wont help you. It amazes me, we know we're dealt a bad hand, and there's only so much we can do, but we dont use the very few options to combat the problem. 

billiken_roy likes this

10 hours ago, billikenbill said:

By about an inch. Took max effort to make the catch and stay in bounds. That was a big, strong team that has a good shot to make the tourney. We were just too small to consistently stop them but I thought the Bills played well and much better than Saturday.

Loved all the mixing up of the zones used to try to slow down their bigs. This won’t be popular, but props to Travis and the coaching staff for making those adjustments.

Might have been Jimerson’s best game as a Billiken. He was making grown man drives to the hoop, knocking down shots, and making the right pass at the right time.

Meadows played well, TJ gave it everything he had and Bruce is improving. Did anyone notice late in the game Van Bussell and Dalger getting into it with each other? What was that about?

Bottom line, the Bills are working hard to get better and with Parker this would be a dangerous team.

Right in front of me. About 1/16th of an inch. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

Agreed.  I understand college basketball is a game of emotion, but it just seems he gets too  wound up during games and I think it can make those around him uptight. 

This is a fair criticism. I think there are a lot of issues that would be interesting to debate here, but unfortunately we have a few posters who have devolved into broken records on a crusade. And any valid criticisms they may have gets lost in a sea of hyperbole. It's contributing to the dumbing down of this board.

58 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I get it.  I'm even cool if you guys pin a thread to the top where you vent about all of Coach Ford shortcomings every game.  But hijacking every thread to vent about Coach Ford isn't fair to the other posters on this board.  We didn't do anything to you.

It’s a gameday thread… for yet another game where we were unprepared and non competitive (until the last five minutes, by which point it was too late).   If we can’t discuss our coach’s deficiencies here, we can’t discuss them anywhere. Maybe every thread can stop being hijacked with excuses for why we are totally non-competitive.   “if only Parker played we would’ve won”  First, I don’t believe that and I’d argue anyone who isn’t wearing Blue tinted glasses would agree he wouldn’t have prevented wide open shots and a total lack of inside presence.  Second, ENOUGH of the excuses for why we lose.  Parker isn’t available. Injuries happen to every team.  They have a new coach and 11 new players and they wiped the floor with us for 35 minutes.  

TheA_Bomb likes this

8 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s a gameday thread… for yet another game where we were unprepared and non competitive (until the last five minutes, by which point it was too late).   If we can’t discuss our coach’s deficiencies here, we can’t discuss them anywhere. Maybe every thread can stop being hijacked with excuses for why we are totally non-competitive.   “if only Parker played we would’ve won”  First, I don’t believe that and I’d argue anyone who isn’t wearing Blue tinted glasses would agree he wouldn’t have prevented wide open shots and a total lack of inside presence.  Second, ENOUGH of the excuses for why we lose.  Parker isn’t available. Injuries happen to every team.  They have a new coach and 11 new players and they wiped the floor with us for 35 minutes.  

The game wasn't close. Only the final score and we can thank their coach for at least partialy playing Travis Ford and taking the air out of the ball. And yes I would like to play fast and jack up a bunch of 3's but no one can play like we did for the last 3 minutes a whole game. The one thing I hope Ford learned is that he has to play one of his bigs if the other team has bigs. Starting Bruce in the second half was the best thing Ford has done this year. 

TheA_Bomb likes this

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I asked @SluSignGuySteve to help solve this yesterday.  Everyone has a chance to vent and to express their opinion.  That is what message boards are for.  But as you say, certain posters seem to think their thoughts are not read, and insist on repeating, repeating, repeating their anger in every single thread.    

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I asked @SluSignGuySteve to help solve this yesterday.  Everyone has a chance to vent and to express their opinion.  That is what message boards are for.  But as you say, certain posters seem to think their thoughts are not read, and insist on repeating, repeating, repeating their anger in every single thread.    

Dear Fan/Message Board Police,

Steve already addressed your concern by giving the message board the ignore function.  Feel free to use it so you don't have to read criticisms of Coach Ford or AD May.

Sincerely, 

Disgruntled Fan

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

There was a moment last night that it was either LHJ or Tim, who was all alone on a def rebound with two USU players closing in. He back peddled in a box out position all the way to the free throw line and didn't touch a single USU player on the way.  It was the ugliest attempt of whatever it was I had ever seen.  This obviously led to an incredibly easy putback 2.

I am pretty sure it was Dalger. I believe Ford yanked him after that and told the staff something to the effect of "Dont let me put him back in."

wgstl and gobillsgo like this