Welcome , Ja’quavis williford !

wgstl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How big was the BVF bag? Or could it be a developing California pipeline? Perhaps the Champ Center was the deciding factor. We need answers. Get on this, podcasters!!

wgstl likes this

38 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

How big was the BVF bag? Or could it be a developing California pipeline? Perhaps the Champ Center was the deciding factor. We need answers. Get on this, podcasters!!

We actually recorded a BIG episode last night before we knew about this. Go figure.

This is a nice win for a few reasons. It shows that we haven't given up on HS recruiting, he's right in the solid 3-star range where SLU can compete, we beat out the level of schools we want to be competing with (UNLV, Oregon State), and he will have the ability to compete for minutes right away.

Zink and brianstl like this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

This is a nice win for a few reasons. It shows that we haven't given up on HS recruiting, he's right in the solid 3-star range where SLU can compete, we beat out the level of schools we want to be competing with (UNLV, Oregon State), and he will have the ability to compete for minutes right away.

Same as Cian Medley last year.  I never got the impression that we had given up on high school recruiting.  We're just not in the market for top 100 players anymore.  It costs too much.

The local 2025 class has multiple players in the top 250 range that we've targeted for some time now.  

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Same as Cian Medley last year.  I never got the impression that we had given up on high school recruiting.  We're just not in the market for top 100 players anymore.  It costs too much.

The local 2025 class has multiple players in the top 250 range that we've targeted for some time now.  

I was mostly referring to the BVF's comments that seem to indicate HS recruiting is not a priority. Player retention is first, followed by transfers.

Ja'Quavis Williford - SG, 6-6, 180 - Las Vegas, NV (Middlebrooks Academy, CA) - AAU: Las Vegas Knicks (New Balance Basketball) - Committed: Saint Louis (10/19/23)
Offers: Saint Louis, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, UNLV, New Mexico, Colorado State, Fresno State, San Jose State, Pepperdine, Indiana State, Kansas City, Long Beach State, Cal State-Fullerton, Cal Poly.

Interest: Duquesne, Nebraska, Miami, Virginia Tech, Colorado, Oregon State, SMU, San Diego, Belmont, Florida Atlantic, South Florida, Murray State, Cleveland State, Marshall, Iona, Vermont, UC-San Diego, UC-Santa Barbara, Portland State, Utah Tech, Georgia Southern, Long Island.

Latest News: Williford committed to SLU. (10/19/23)

Scouting Report: Williford is a talented wing who scores on three levels. He's long, active, and bouncy, with high-level finishing ability. He has a left-handed shot he can make from anywhere. He's a versatile, vocal defender. He played for Cathedral HS in Los Angeles last season and is currently listed as a Middlebrooks Academy player (William Middlebrooks runs both programs).

247 reports he had visit on 6 October.  Anyone know about that?

He visited Oregon State 15 SEP and UNLV on 29 SEP. No other visits listed. 

Maybe OChampC came through.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I was mostly referring to the BVF's comments that seem to indicate HS recruiting is not a priority. Player retention is first, followed by transfers.

The way I understand it is we pay a minimal amount to acquire them and we pay more to retain them.  You can't retain them if you don't get them in the first place.  We're doing the equivalent of picking up second round draft picks and signing them to lucrative deals after they prove themselves.

cgeldmacher likes this

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Gonna have to get him on a mid-west diet and he can't skip anymore leg days.  I like the left handedness that'll help take folks off the dribble. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

This is a real nice start.  He is 24/7's highest ranked high school commit since Gordon. Great job by everyone involved.  Let's build on this.

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

We needed some good news I was about to check in to a clinic somewhere and just hope the VA would cover it. 

Yeah, I was going to let you do the homework on where we could be admitted and follow your lead. A nurse comes in every morning and tells us the Billikens won last night.

We (sick fans who care too much) needed this. This team will rally around Trent! I am back baby!

BLIKNS likes this