2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on THJ? I thought it was the knee when he went down but a lot of people claimed it was a cramp. Kinda important.

Southern Indiana can't shoot at all, but we are way undersized and don't cover the spread.

8 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Last week's edition of Midtown Madness revealed how frustrated the participants are with SLU's lack of transparency.  So if doubt creeps into their minds on any issue, their default position is that SLU has something to hide. When a representative of SLU does respond, like Stu, he still isn't considered credible. 

Do I wish SLU's administration was more transparent?  Yes.  Do I think going on regular witch hunts will make them more transparent?  No.  And when no witch is ultimately found, it just tarnishes the reputation of folks making the claim.  I know this isn't the intent.  But it is the inevitable effect.

Just seeing this thread and 😬

18 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Any news on THJ? I thought it was the knee when he went down but a lot of people claimed it was a cramp. Kinda important.

Southern Indiana can't shoot at all, but we are way undersized and don't cover the spread.

Definitely a cramp. It was in his calf. 

in real time it sorta looked like he hyperextended his knee, but replay showed he definitely didn’t. He also grabbed right for the back of his calf. They gave him fluids while on court and were trying to rub out the cramp in his calf. 

10 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Zhang very clearly had questions regarding eligibility. "I'm not going back and finding it" but there were links to articles circulating that talked about him being paid by a Chinese basketball team. 

Bruce’s big issue isn’t possibly getting some money, it is that he might be under a pro contract right now if those articles were accurate.  They made it sound like the CBA team signed him and essentially sent him to the US for a minor league assignment before they call him up.

10 hours ago, gabriel said:

Stu has come out and said that he’s eligible when he gets healthy, information definitely came from the team. Don’t know why we’re trying to come out and make this a story when it’s not one currently.

We might be one of the only fan bases in the country that will self report an allegation against one of our guys

The fan base never brought up anything until there was already a situation going on at SLU.

8 hours ago, brianstl said:

Bruce’s big issue isn’t possibly getting some money, it is that he might be under a pro contract right now if those articles were accurate.  They made it sound like the CBA team signed him and essentially sent him to the US for a minor league assignment before they call him up.

Which might explain why so few programs recruited him? 

brianstl likes this

23 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Last week's edition of Midtown Madness revealed how frustrated the participants are with SLU's lack of transparency.  So if doubt creeps into their minds on any issue, their default position is that SLU has something to hide. When a representative of SLU does respond, like Stu, he still isn't considered credible. 

Do I wish SLU's administration was more transparent?  Yes.  Do I think going on regular witch hunts will make them more transparent?  No.  And when no witch is ultimately found, it just tarnishes the reputation of folks making the claim.  I know this isn't the intent.  But it is the inevitable effect.

In the absence of information it's normal for people to speculate.  How hard would it be to release a statement on the eligibility status? 2 dudes with a podcast is nothing compared to what many other programs endure.  Our fan base is tame in comparison.  So I didn't see any witch hunts just interest if key players would play and if not what's the reason.  Dispel the rumor fill the void and there's no issue. 

I don't think Stu is particularly good at his job or puts in the extra effort. But I do feel bad that he was straight up lied to even when the fans knew there were some eligibility questions regarding Zhang. Almost makes me feel like if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't put in the extra effort either. And he continues to be lied to. 

Even if the NCAA just came out of nowhere at all and said he isn't cleared after previously clearing him (which I HIGHLY doubt), shouldn't SLU be prepared that there are some questionable things going on with their recruits/players? In no way should this have been a surprise to anyone. Don't you know the backgrounds of your own players?

I am not a Ford fan. I don't think he should have gotten this season. And while all these ineligible players are still his recruits and the ones he brought in knowing there were risks, his own athletic department is not putting him in a position to succeed. Worst case scenario is nobody becomes eligible, the season sucks, and the AD decides Ford didn't get a fair shake this season and they bring him back again next year.

Nobody on the coaching staff or athletic department should have planned on Brad being eligible. The 2 time transfer rule is pretty straightforward the NCAA has been pretty consistent with denying those waivers. A search of Zhang's name showed there were some risks there. The others were late recruits who weren't really on anyone's radar (possibly because there were eligibility questions). I liked the different approach to recruiting this offseason but as of now it appears to be trending towards a failure. That's the risk you take and I'm okay with it. But if anyone on the coaching staff or AD went into this summer thinking there were no risks with the guys we brought in, they should be fired before the Ilinois St game.

for me, imo we should be able to show disappointment with the ncaa as well.   there is no consistency or common sense for what is going on.   on one hand, they allow some players to literally earn 100's or thousands of dollars with a wink and a nod "NiL" deal but then a kid like Zhang is going to get penalized for signing a contract that got him delivered to america for him to play his senior year here with an expectation he'd go back to china for peanuts to play?   he tries to get out of it when he gets here, so the ncaa doesnt suggest, "pay back the money they fronted you and you'll have to sit out 3 games"?

how much you want to be if this happened to a bill self recruit this isnt even a question.   i am so sick of the ncaa playing to levels.  

same with the georgetown kid.   my gosh there are other 2 time transfers playing?  either they are or the arent eligible.  should have been black or white for ALL two time transfers and one office worker should have been able to get out those requests in the same day.   it's been going on for weeks.  b.s. 

dlarry likes this

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

for me, imo we should be able to show disappointment with the ncaa as well.   there is no consistency or common sense for what is going on.   on one hand, they allow some players to literally earn 100's or thousands of dollars with a wink and a nod "NiL" deal but then a kid like Zhang is going to get penalized for signing a contract that got him delivered to america for him to play his senior year here with an expectation he'd go back to china for peanuts to play?   he tries to get out of it when he gets here, so the ncaa doesnt suggest, "pay back the money they fronted you and you'll have to sit out 3 games"?

how much you want to be if this happened to a bill self recruit this isnt even a question.   i am so sick of the ncaa playing to levels.  

same with the georgetown kid.   my gosh there are other 2 time transfers playing?  either they are or the arent eligible.  should have been black or white for ALL two time transfers and one office worker should have been able to get out those requests in the same day.   it's been going on for weeks.  b.s. 

1. Nothing has changed with international recruiting. The rules are the same as they've been since Chris Harriman was here the first time. 

2. Chinese basketball money is no joke.

3. Kansas' compliance department would have caught the issues in a cursory google search of Bruce's legal name. 

4. There are no other two time non-grad transfers playing to my knowledge. 

5. I'm sorry but CMay is lying to you, Stu Durando and every other Billiken fan. This is not an NCAA injustice it just isn't, nor did they JUST find out about Zhang, They are covering up for a compliance staff error. 

To be clear I do not believe Travis Ford or any of his direct staff to be in the wrong here, did they roll the dice on some euros and Brad? You bet, but that's why you hire someone with a law degree and NCAA rules experience to handle compliance, that's why it's likely a 6 figure job.

cgeldmacher likes this