2023-2024 Season

Aquinas

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Weird because he was denied, UNC appealed and was denied again, then a month later, he’s approved. Doesn’t make sense that they could’ve made an error like that, which wasn’t picked up on the first two tries.

Seemed to me that with the way Mack Brown and the athletic dept. whined about it along with how UNC strong-armed the NCAA over the academic cheating scandal, the NCAA was trying to exact some revenge on the Tar Heels.

Again I know nothing more than what was written. I do remember that UNC was caught giving credit for courses to athletes that never took place, as you relayed. So did this play a factor?  One can only speculate. UNC’s reputation is no better than the NCAA’s. So who knows what was or wasn’t filed. Unless all documents are disclosed, and they won’t be, I’m not taking sides. 

-I listend to CFord's segment from Sunday on KMOX and I think a couple of nuggets need to be put on here

-more depth than he's ever had up front ---- if TJ is in the mix to play the 5 I have to really wonder about this one

-scoring will be a strength --- okay, is this because defense won't or are we going to fill the basket? 

-Kellen will definitely see time and be in the rotation for sure, brings great energy, is 6'7, can shoot the 3, brings energy and activity to the team --- the can shoot the 3 part would be great

-we want to press a lot and play up tempo --- I am around that campfire discussing beleiveing this when I see it

-CFord was very complimentary of Bruce, I hope this means when he gets healthy we Bruce getting minutes

-more depth than he's ever had up front ---- if TJ is in the mix to play the 5 I have to really wonder about this one

We don't even have a front court right now. As of right now you shouldn't count on Bruce, Ezewiro or SVB playing. 

-CFord was very complimentary of Bruce, I hope this means when he gets healthy we Bruce getting minutes

You better hope he's eligible AND healthy.

30 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Optimistic coachspeak.

I am convinced Ford has bets with his assistant coaches with respect to the things he says in the off season. I bet you won't say French is working on his 3 point shot feels similar to saying the front court is as deep as ever when mentioning Hargrove playing the 5. Nothing he can say will satisfy a restless fanbase, so this isn't a shot at Ford. Ultimately, the team just needs to exceed expectations this fall/winter and get us all back on board.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I am convinced Ford has bets with his assistant coaches with respect to the things he says in the off season. I bet you won't say French is working on his 3 point shot feels similar to saying the front court is as deep as ever when mentioning Hargrove playing the 5. Nothing he can say will satisfy a restless fanbase, so this isn't a shot at Ford. Ultimately, the team just needs to exceed expectations this fall/winter and get us all back on board.

Of course it is a shot at Ford - you may have not meant it but that is what it is.  Ford is the general - if he has the wrong troops then it is his fault, if he let himself get in a bind with his roster construction that cost him his future then it is his fault and if the team does not exceed expectations then he bears the brunt because he is the one in charge.  

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Of course it is a shot at Ford - you may have not meant it but that is what it is.  Ford is the general - if he has the wrong troops then it is his fault, if he let himself get in a bind with his roster construction that cost him his future then it is his fault and if the team does not exceed expectations then he bears the brunt because he is the one in charge.  

I meant the coach speak/bs he says in these types of interviews. Since so many coaches do it, I’m not going to take a shot at Ford for doing so as well. The roster construction is certainly problematic.

44 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

nobody or at least very few, believed the relaxed transfer practices and "influence" of NIL was going to effect the game as it has so quickly.   i cant blame ford for where we are today for the sudden reaction in the opposite direction to what has worked for years for ford and constructing his roster.  

that said, it better the F has woke all concerned up now.   to continue business as usual would be a relatively slow death suicide for the program imo.  and i dont think this requires a gradual change/adjustment.   this is major off court manuevers requirement imo.  

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

nobody or at least very few, believed the relaxed transfer practices and "influence" of NIL was going to effect the game as it has so quickly.   i cant blame ford for where we are today for the sudden reaction in the opposite direction to what has worked for years for ford and constructing his roster.  

that said, it better the F has woke all concerned up now.   to continue business as usual would be a relatively slow death suicide for the program imo.  and i dont think this requires a gradual change/adjustment.   this is major off court manuevers requirement imo.  

Do you have some examples of these takes? Because it seems like as soon as word came down that NIL and immediate transfer eligibility were happening, everything I heard and read was how they would transform college sports immediately and profoundly.

Just now, Pistol said:

Do you have some examples of these takes? Because it seems like as soon as word came down that NIL and immediate transfer eligibility were happening, everything I heard and read was how they would transform college sports immediately and profoundly.

saying it and reacting immediately are two different things.   very few programs seemed to change there day to day operations.   and when it became obvious what was going on, only those that were already flush with cash and whales were able to do the quick change needed.  

the point is, we now all see it, so to continue to sit and watch is just slow death.

14 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

saying it and reacting immediately are two different things.   very few programs seemed to change there day to day operations.   and when it became obvious what was going on, only those that were already flush with cash and whales were able to do the quick change needed.  

the point is, we now all see it, so to continue to sit and watch is just slow death.

Those who are slow to adapt learn the hardest lessons.

NIL and transfers aren't the existential threats to non-power conference programs, though. You've misdiagnosed the problem.

The real threats are the things I pointed out yesterday in the recruiting 2024 thread: power conferences growing to 16+ teams, TV networks starting their own postseason tournaments, non-conference schedules shrinking, the NCAA growing ever more useless. The power conferences are trying to form a cartel right out in the open. This is the thing that A10 programs can't overcome.

If NIL and immediate transfers serve to reinforce the existing power structure or competitive imbalance, it's because they adapted more quickly and had more fans willing to throw money at NIL.

In that sense, NIL can be the great equalizer for smaller programs. Find enough donors and you can theoretically spend whatever you want to on talent.

GoSluBills and TheChosenOne like this

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Much easier to react to it as a basketball only school than as a football school.  We're talking 13 scholarships.  It's like the agile start up is able to pivot easier than the massive corporation.  The small schooner can steer easier than the Ocean liner.  SLU had a window.  They lacked vision,  they lacked initiative and lacked execution at all levels. Anyone in the know saw what was coming. And if you didn't look at a school that's making progress and copy what they're doing. 

Not delivering on the season killed enthusiasm and killed the chance for NIL $ to flow in. 

They need to understand the environment they operate in and as things change you re-evaluate and adjust.

To quote Shawshank Redemption,  "Get busy living or get busy dying. "

Just now, Pistol said:

The real threats are the things I pointed out yesterday in the recruiting 2024 thread: power conferences growing to 16+ teams, TV networks starting their own postseason tournaments, non-conference schedules shrinking, the NCAA growing ever more useless. The power conferences are trying to form a cartel right out in the open. This is the thing that A10 programs can't overcome.

the main way they will accomplish the above is because of their utilization successfully of the NIL and transfer market.   that will create the division of have's and have not's that will make it a self fullfillment of their goals and dreams.   

4 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Those who are slow to adapt learn the hardest lessons.

NIL and transfers aren't the existential threats to non-power conference programs, though. You've misdiagnosed the problem.

If NIL and immediate transfers serve to reinforce the existing power structure or competitive imbalance, it's because they adapted more quickly and had more fans willing to throw money at NIL.

In that sense, NIL can be the great equalizer for smaller programs. Find enough donors and you can theoretically spend whatever you want to on talent.

Agree on the points above. We need direction, innovation and someone that can execute the plan.  I'm not optimistic in the current regime's abilities. 

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

the main way they will accomplish the above is because of their utilization successfully of the NIL and transfer market.   that will create the division of have's and have not's that will make it a self fullfillment of their goals and dreams.   

They can't have every player, though. From Duke to Stonehill, everyone has 13 scholarships. The "haves" will always find a way to have. The "have-nots" will always have a chance to get better because not every good player can be hoarded by a small number of programs. The balance of power hasn't shifted at all.

15 minutes ago, Pistol said:

They can't have every player, though. From Duke to Stonehill, everyone has 13 scholarships. The "haves" will always find a way to have. The "have-nots" will always have a chance to get better because not every good player can be hoarded by a small number of programs. The balance of power hasn't shifted at all.

The haves can have more than 13, simply call the guy a walk on and add on enough extra cash over and above the NIL to pay for tuition, fees, books, room and board, etc.  

9 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

The haves can have more than 13, simply call the guy a walk on and add on enough extra cash over and above the NIL to pay for tuition, fees, books, room and board, etc.  

I say go ahead and waste your money. Good luck keeping more than 13 guys happy when only 5 can play at a time. We'd benefit from scooping up disgruntled players on the way out of that situation.

Havent been on here in months but apparently the season starts soon. There are no question marks about this season. It will be the typical Ford season. 

Hot early start. Push the tempo. Efficient basketball. Optimism grows. Late November get blown out of the gym. Lay an egg or two in December. Head into conference play with optimism from early performances but negatives from recent play. 

Beat a team we shouldn't in A10 play. Lose to a team we shouldn't too. Everything else pretty neutral. Going into Brooklyn between a 5-8 seed. Lay another egg there. No postseason. The local media calls the season a success. They find an excuse or two. Rinse and repeat next year. 

1 hour ago, Lord Elrond said:

At the end of the day kids want playing time because most believe/dream they can play at the next level.  They know they won't get the chance at the next level unless they get playing time.  The wealthiest NIL programs can still only play 5 at one time.

2 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Havent been on here in months but apparently the season starts soon. There are no question marks about this season. It will be the typical Ford season. 

Hot early start. Push the tempo. Efficient basketball. Optimism grows. Late November get blown out of the gym. Lay an egg or two in December. Head into conference play with optimism from early performances but negatives from recent play. 

Beat a team we shouldn't in A10 play. Lose to a team we shouldn't too. Everything else pretty neutral. Going into Brooklyn between a 5-8 seed. Lay another egg there. No postseason. The local media calls the season a success. They find an excuse or two. Rinse and repeat next year. 

I hate that I see no lies

4 hours ago, Pistol said:

Money as the great equailzer will undermine - to varying extents - the prior selling points that were emphasized to players, including: winning tradition, great coaching, great facilities, and the best opportunity to play in the NBA. 

Smaller schools with less funding, but winning traditions, seem particularly poorly positioned. Davidson, Saint Mary's, Gonzaga, Providence, Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Seton Hall all come to mind.

But yeah, theoretically it could help schools like Fordham or LaSalle turn things around. If they were to ever land some major boosters they wouldn't have to wait around for them to build a new arena, locker rooms, weight rooms, etc... or hire a big dollar coach who takes 2-3 to implement their program. The money could make such schools competitive in the marketplace for talent in a single off-season.