2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

10 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I think it failed....kinda.  Now we'll just see a slow death over the next season as we win 18 games.  Dead man walking.

Also if the buyout is truly $10mil.  May needs to go.  Paying the highest salary plus that much buyout.   Big Money Boosters will not be happy with that amount. Bad decision making.  Why?  It's not like anyone was going to come for Ford. It's hard to know all the ins and outs at a private school but what we know doesn't look good. 

i think the 10 million number was  figure someone used to include entire cost of new coach, buyout and new coach salary, i would be very surprised if ford would be owed 10m

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I too think this.  One(maybe 2) boosters got vocal, and some thought this was the start of something.  While it absolutely may be the start of something, its not enough for a turnaround this offseason.  What this says to me, instead of Boosters being comfortable about letting Ford he here long term like May said, they're moving closer to a make or break year this year.  All this did was speed everything up, not end things.

I agree with this take. Ford is out if he doesn't make the tournament (NIT?) next year.

7 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i think the 10 million number was  figure someone used to include entire cost of new coach, buyout and new coach salary, i would be very surprised if ford would be owed 10m

Yeah probably we have a tendency to dissect every word choice even when it's just 2 guys talking on the radio.  If it's 2 seasons left on the contract it's probably $4.8mil.

11 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

dennis do the math.   if he has 4-5 years contractually left at over $2 million dollars per year, Ford would be a fool to give some sort of a buyout unless he was trying to get out of his contract.   since in the example being discussed, Ford isnt trying to leave the billikens would have to payoff the entire contract unless there is some sort of writing that defines some sort of lesser amount to be paid upon the firing.   

so add the $10+ million plus a coach of greater defined accomplishments ( i sure hope if we are separating from Coach Ford we are doing so because there is a defined "better option" out there that naturally would cost as much if not more plus have the same guaranteed 4-5 year contract that might also include assisting in his buyout of his current contract) that will cost at least the same over time or close to it upfront.  

then to illustrate AD Chris May's financial juggling act, he also has to have commits for suitable NiL money to give the new coach the money to participate with the big programs.  The $500,000 might be the goal that Ryan Robertson thinks he can raise annually amongst the smaller donors, but someone is going to have to buck up a heck of a lot more to be able to play on the same playing field as the big boys.   

imo this is not the right time to be switching coaches.   not if we all truly want the next level.  we need to get his NiL b.s. figured out first and then if Coach Ford is still underperforming the wishes of the fandom, we can explore coaching options in my opinion.   

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dennis do the math.   if he has 4-5 years contractually left at over $2 million dollars per year, Ford would be a fool to give some sort of a buyout unless he was trying to get out of his contract.   since in the example being discussed, Ford isnt trying to leave the billikens would have to payoff the entire contract unless there is some sort of writing that defines some sort of lesser amount to be paid upon the firing.   

most have some sort of buyout, it was said that it goes down next year, i am guessing like everyone else. usually it is negotiated 

why would ford "negotiate" and give away money if we are firing him?   he is a smarter man than that.   now if another program wants to hire him and Coach Ford wants to take that job, by all means he will negotiate his buyout and give the appropriate discount to let himself out of the deal in place.   but he would be a fool to leave guaranteed money on the table to just get out right released.   that isnt going to happen.  his attorney's and agent have already proven they are smarter than that.

45 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

see, I disagree completely.  How can it be safe to say it’s failed when all the big boosters who post on here have been silent? 

Maybe we are waiting for FAU to lose to make the announcement.  

Don’t think Christmas will be coming early for you, Nick. Not sure I want a coach named Dusty anyway. 

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

why would ford "negotiate" and give away money if we are firing him?   he is a smarter man than that.   now if another program wants to hire him and Coach Ford wants to take that job, by all means he will negotiate his buyout and give the appropriate discount to let himself out of the deal in place.   but he would be a fool to leave guaranteed money on the table to just get out right released.   that isnt going to happen.  his attorney's and agent have already proven they are smarter than that.

since we didnt get to see the contract it is just speculation on our part, not trying to argue

@billiken_roy if they #s you're speculating are true then May ain't the guy to handle budgets and influence NIL.  Ford did nothing to warrant an extension that long.   

Also it's Troy the Boy Robertson not his superiorly skilled brother.   I'm not a fan he tried to hook up with my GF back at SLU.  You know who never did that? Ryan Leuchtefeld he was in my German class, good dude. He needs to head up the BVF.  I'll add Troy to my reign of terror to change those in charge of SLU basketball related positions.

39 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

I speculated 10 million in one of my post. Three  year salary and like amount for a new coach. Pure guess but assuming he was extended last year to a 4 year contract which would not be unusual. 

Just now, willie said:

I speculated 10 million in one of my post. Three  year salary and like amount for a new coach. Pure guess but assuming he was extended last year to a 4 year contract which would not be unusual. 

since we cant see the contract it is a guess, we could all be right or wrong. some contracts have a base salary plus perks for the total package, but the buyout is only the base salary. something to talk about during off season. since he seems to not be going anywhere,hope he hits some home runs on the recruiting trail

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

@billiken_roy if they #s you're speculating are true then May ain't the guy to handle budgets and influence NIL.  Ford did nothing to warrant an extension that long.   

Also it's Troy the Boy Robertson not his superiorly skilled brother.   I'm not a fan he tried to hook up with my GF back at SLU.  You know who never did that? Ryan Leuchtefeld he was in my German class, good dude. He needs to head up the BVF.  I'll add Troy to my reign of terror to change those in charge of SLU basketball related positions.

This post is amazing. Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I just chuckle at the idea that Troy Robertson and Ryan Luechtefeld may be reading the board and see this post.

56 minutes ago, BrettJollyComedyHour said:

I agree with this take. Ford is out if he doesn't make the tournament (NIT?) next year.

Why delay a reboot for the program by a year?  If the season expectation next year is NCAA or bust (NIT should not save him), then why not just get a head start on the rebuild?  History has shown us we are highly unlikely to be in the tournament next year, so it seems stupid to waste a season, becoming more and more irrelevant in the STL sports scene.

20 hours ago, SLUDrew said:

Yes, this program is ABSOLUTELY on the brink of irrelevance. To the casual sports fan in St Louis we have become an afterthought at best when we are, with all due respect to Lindenwood and SIUE, the ONLY BASKETBALL SHOW IN TOWN. 

I'll give you an example, I was at a local sports bar for our A-10 tournament game against VCU. There were probably 20 TVS on showing various games. I had to frigging ask them to turn the SLU game on!!! This was in Webster Groves which is about 15 minutes from campus. You don't think we are an after thought?? 

Yes, Dayton was a sellout. However, I tried to GIVE AWAY tickets for about 10 games this year and most nights I couldn't give them away. I stopped even asking.  This is a metro area of close to 3 million and our arena sits 10,500. I bet even for the Dayton game you could have walked up and gotten a ticket despite it being deemed a "sellout" 

If that is the definition of being on the brink of irrelevance, then we have been on the brink of irrelevance my entire lifetime.  We are as relevant, or close to as relevant as we have ever been in the St. Louis sports community, which is to say that we have a small loyal fanbase and a lot of casual observers around the city that will show up when things are good and stay away when things are bad.  Selling out the Dayton game is a better crowd than those that showed up for games against Dayton during the Majerus years.

3 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

see, I disagree completely.  How can it be safe to say it’s failed when all the big boosters who post on here have been silent? 

Maybe we are waiting for FAU to lose to make the announcement.  

SLU_Nick hoping your last statement happens tonight...GBO!!!

1 hour ago, SluSignGuy said:

I just chuckle at the idea that Troy Robertson and Ryan Luechtefeld may be reading the board and see this post.

Ha I know.  I saw Troy on TV at one of the games and I can take him now.  Back in College not so much. Initiate smack talk.

But seriously though my post is fact. It happened.

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Sounds like he bagged her, so I don’t blame Abomb for not letting it go. 

Eh no bro. We got married have 4 children. 

1 hour ago, majerus mojo said:

Someone needs to pull Chris May aside and tell him to quit talking. Go watch softball get pounded by Lindenwood. He already lit this firestorm saying things that didn’t need to be said. 100% I believe a lot more has been going on behind closed doors and I truly believe courtside’s initial post. Plus Frank Cusamano’s rant about not buying out the coach and spending that money on NIL??? I’m not an investigative journalist here but that smells like something an AD or coach under fire would shovel out and Frank would totally parrot. Not buying any of it and if this is accurate, Chris May and Ford are profoundly stupid people and good for big donors not to cave in and just throw more good money on top of bad. Should be an interesting next few weeks. Grab your popcorn. 

Schasz and BilliesBy40 like this

2 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Why delay a reboot for the program by a year?  If the season expectation next year is NCAA or bust (NIT should not save him), then why not just get a head start on the rebuild?  History has shown us we are highly unlikely to be in the tournament next year, so it seems stupid to waste a season, becoming more and more irrelevant in the STL sports scene.

Only because it seems to be trending that way given the official media statements. It seems like we're destined for another disappointing MBB year before we pull the trigger on the inevitable.

14 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

This is one of the best sentences ever posted on this here message board.

Or if he doesn't then the Big Boosters should fire both him and Ford both!!! Frankly, I don't trust him to make the next HC hire as I am totally uniderwhelmed with both the Crews and Ford hires!!!

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I've written a haiku:

Courtside wishes he

was a high-level donor 

high-level boner?

thetorch likes this