2023 Offseason - Coaching Discussion Thread

ACE

15 minutes ago, courtside said:

I don’t read many threads. Would you either list them or provide a link to them? Thanks. 

He provides stability, well respected in the community, has won 70% of his games the last 5 years, has coach 6 NBA players, has had 8 conference players of the year, very good recruiter which is going to be even more important going  forward, respected by the players he’s coached, has a good relationship with our biggest donor, the AD and President, has averaged 22.5 wins the last 4 full seasons, has held the team together in difficult situations. I’ve also shown examples of schools that remained patient who reaped the benefit in Davidson and St Bonaventure. I don’t think rolling the dice and blowing up the program is a smart or better alternative. There are a lot of good things going on at SLU, why not build on them instead of starting over?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

He provides stability, well respected in the community, has won 70% of his games the last 5 years, has coach 6 NBA players, has had 8 conference players of the year, very good recruiter which is going to be even more important going  forward, respected by the players he’s coached, has a good relationship with our biggest donor, the AD and President, has averaged 22.5 wins the last 4 full seasons, has held the team together in difficult situations. I’ve also shown examples of schools that remained patient who reaped the benefit in Davidson and St Bonaventure. I don’t think rolling the dice and blowing up the program is a smart or better alternative. There are a lot of good things going on at SLU, why not build on them instead of starting over?

I see. Thanks.

2 hours ago, DOC said:

How about a follow up on your “Ford has been fired post”? We never got an explanation on what happened. Thank you. 

Not Courtside but I can tell you. 
Some boosters began the process of trying to buy Ford out of his contract and replace him.

Other boosters/May/Pestello stood up and said it’s not happening.

HoosierPal likes this

10 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Not Courtside but I can tell you. 
Some boosters began the process of trying to buy Ford out of his contract and replace him.

Other boosters/May/Pestello stood up and said it’s not happening.

Thanks. The 3 people that mattered  said it wasn’t happening, which means he was never in danger of being fired. The positive about it is that we have boosters that care and are willing to put some significant money into the program. Hopefully, they took that buyout cash and gave it the NIL

6 minutes ago, DOC said:

Thanks. The 3 people that mattered  said it wasn’t happening, which means he was never in danger of being fired. The positive about it is that we have boosters that care and are willing to put some significant money into the program. Hopefully, they took that buyout cash and gave it the NIL

For the record that’s a guess. I don’t have any inside information.

32 minutes ago, dlarry said:

For the record that’s a guess. I don’t have any inside information.

Gotcha. That was actually my take on the situation. Chaifetz, May and Pestello had to be in lock step for it to happen. And none of them are there yet. 

15 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This is just a minor gripe, but it keeps being thrown around. His win % the last 5 years is 66%. To get to 70% it would have required an extra 5 wins total. It might not seem like a huge deal but that extra win per season would have made a difference in 2020-2021, for example when SLU was the first team out.