Ford- Less with More (and the last great four year Billikens)

gobillsgo

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't understand the thought that SLU hasn't made more good than bad coaching hires.  In the last 41 years they have hired Grawer (really good hire, but it was time to move on), Spoon (great hire), Romar (good hire), Brad (bad hire), Majerus (great hire), Crews (bad hire) and Ford (OK hire, but time to move on).  It appears to me SLU has a good enough batting average hiring head coaches not to dread having to do it again.  

imo great hire = at large invite and at least close to conference champion regular season.   only winners here are spoon and rickma

imo only bad hires were ekker and crews.   crews does not get to take credit for rickma's teams.  he did nothing beyond be there.   

the rest, grawer, romar, soderberg and ford all mediocre hires.   just the fact that ford and romar made it to the ncaa tourney's by winning their conference tourney's they go to the head of the mediocre class.   that said, grawer might have gotten an at large invite if the conference they were in wasnt an annual one bid conference.   they never could beat X.   

Notable HC candidates, per the internet: 

Chris Mack (53) - Can likely secure a better job. Would hire

Mike Brey (63) - Same boat as Mack? Would hire
Tom Crean (56) - Downward trend. Similar to Ford reboot. Pass
Rick Pitino (70) - Old, sleazeball. Similar to Majerus reboot. Still pass
Darian DeVries (47) - Drake HC
Dusty May (45) - Florida Atlantic HC
Ryan Odom (48) - Utah State HC
Pat Kelsey (47) - College of Charleston HC
Matt Langel (45) - Colgate HC 
Speedy Claxton (44) - Hofstra HC/alum 

edit: Chris Beard (50) - Young, sleazeball. 

cgeldmacher likes this

8 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I still like Steve Prohm as a possibility. He's made a Sweet 16 before (granted it was with Fred Hoiberg's recruits). He has been able to recruit NBA talent to both Ames and Murray which is no easy task. He has his shot in the Power 5 and underperformed so he may be comfortable being comfortabley paid at a mid major and not jump at the first Power 5 offer that comes along. I know losing Halliburton to injuries both years he had him led to his demise but I never heard the whole story of his dismissal. Did he lose the team or did injuries and the NBA sap the team of players. If he lost the team I would be apprehensive about hiring him. If not, he's a good candidate. Great offense and Xs and Os guy.

To further accentuate how far this program has fallen from our potential… ten years ago today we were putting the hurt on a ranked Butler team at Hinkle Fieldhouse, our second of three wins against them that year. 

@RiseOfTheBillikens , myself, and I’m sure others here were in attendance for one of the greatest SLU basketball moments of my life. 

we shouldn’t be accepting our current level of mediocrity. 

I understand that the unknown is scary for some people.  Here is how I see it - if you stay with Ford long term then expecting anything different is insane - as the famous saying goes.  Prior to hiring Ford, Biondi was the President but he was on a short leash for the Ford hire  given the money the big donors put up and we all know that outside of the RM hire - which was really out of character for him - he  would always go bargain basement.  He did well to get Spoon but even Spoon as did RM find out Biondi was not to be trusted to live up to his implied promises.  Funny these guys actually thought a priest would be honorable.  After RM died, Biondi went right back to the cheap hire when he decided to stay with Crews.  Today, Biondi is gone - May picked Ford - good choice or bad choice? I heard both sides when Ford was hired.  I was not crazy  about it but was willing to give him a chance - he has had his chance.  I am OK with giving him next year to prove me wrong but that is it.  Can we trust May's decision making - who knows but out of fairness one hire does not make a trend.  

5 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

To further accentuate how far this program has fallen from our potential… ten years ago today we were putting the hurt on a ranked Butler team at Hinkle Fieldhouse, our second of three wins against them that year. 

@RiseOfTheBillikens , myself, and I’m sure others here were in attendance for one of the greatest SLU basketball moments of my life. 

we shouldn’t be accepting our current level of mediocrity. 

That showed up in my Facebook memories this morning.  Pretty depressing.

5 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

It should be with the product this team is putting on the floor. But no, I’m sure they’ll announce 9000, even though actual will be closer to 6500-7000. We’ve had like two sellouts in 10 years, so I think it’s fair to underestimate the attendance in order to make a point.  And our last “sellout” probably had 8500 butts in seats. 

Shame on any “fan” who does not show up to support our departing seniors.

AGB91 likes this

58 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Shame on any “fan” who does not show up to support our departing seniors.

It’s pro sports at this point. We can move past this idea that you’re somehow a worse or lesser fan if you don’t go just to “support the seniors”.   I will be there vs Dayton, but wouldn’t blame or think less of any fan who doesn’t want to waste their time and money on this program right now.  

Soderball and slufan13 like this

10 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

It’s pro sports at this point. We can move past this idea that you’re somehow a worse or lesser fan if you don’t go just to “support the seniors”.   I will be there vs Dayton, but wouldn’t blame or think less of any fan who doesn’t want to waste their time and money on this program right now.  

Perkins was recognized last year, Jimerson and Yuri are welcome to come back if they want, and I don’t think any fan needs to go out of their way to thank Okoro, Pickett, and Forrester for their indelible impression on the program.  

Wow.......

14 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Perkins was recognized last year, Jimerson and Yuri are welcome to come back if they want, and I don’t think any fan needs to go out of their way to thank Okoro, Pickett, and Forrester for their indelible impression on the program.  

Cold… ice cold.

25 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Absolutely not. 

so in your opinion, what slu official gets to hire the coach if Chris May doesnt?

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo great hire = at large invite and at least close to conference champion regular season.   only winners here are spoon and rickma

imo only bad hires were ekker and crews.   crews does not get to take credit for rickma's teams.  he did nothing beyond be there.   

the rest, grawer, romar, soderberg and ford all mediocre hires.   just the fact that ford and romar made it to the ncaa tourney's by winning their conference tourney's they go to the head of the mediocre class.   that said, grawer might have gotten an at large invite if the conference they were in wasnt an annual one bid conference.   they never could beat X.   

Grawer deserves some special credit. He brought the SLU basketball program back from the edge of going D2 and basically not existing.

He also recruited some very talented players. Grawer I consider a success. Ford is in the soderberg/romar vein. Better than Soderberg and similar to Romar.

20 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Most of the "Collins era" has been forgettable. I legitimately miss French & Goodwin. I miss the Majerus group. Otherwise, blah.

Collins' ditching the NIT game vs UNI will always stick out to me like a sore thumb, not because the nit matters.. but because he ditched the guys then declared for the transfer portal. I don't think I've been fully on board with this roster ever since that happened. I'm ready to move on, very much so.

The Valley Sucks and MB73 like this

14 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Cold… ice cold.

Took out the second part as it’s probably a bit unfair, and said more out of frustration with the program’s direction than anything. I don’t doubt that those guys are trying. 

but my initial point remains, no one should be thought less of as a fan for not wanting to go to senior night at this point. 

Soderball and billikenbill like this

4 hours ago, JMM28 said:

The Crews hire at the time was absolutely justifiable. He obviously shipwrecked things because he was old school and bad at recruiting and stuff. But his tenure was more successful than anything Ford has done to this point. 

I agree with your post but the above. Crews didn’t coach those 2 years post Rick. The team was on auto pilot thanks to Rick’s teachings. Also, I’m not so sure Uncle Brad was a good hire. UW didn’t think enough of him to keep him around even after getting them into the dance. 
If I had any say I’d go after Pitino. Immediate fix and u know he’s not about to misbehave. See Sampson at UofH. 

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

If you can guarantee either Mack or Brey, I would go with them.  Anyone else, and I would rather give Ford one more season.