SLU v. GW GDT; Did you hear about the basketball team that doesn’t have a website?

SluSignGuy

2 hours ago, Compton said:

Now hopefully SIUE crushes Lindenwood in tonight's inaugural Battle of the 'burbs.

Mighty SIUE takes down the Lions 68-58 to secure bragging rights in the “Battle of the ‘burbs!!” Now 14-5 overall (11-5 D-1) and 5-1 league!!

BC1764 likes this

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fraz said:

I wouldn’t say people just stand around with Yuri.  They can get stagnant at times sure.

I’d like to see more stretches with Perkins at point.  He was excellent initiating offense and attacking the paint with the ball.  He was in complete control

going forward you likely will see more  of perkins with the ball, today was the first time we saw what we thought perkins would be all year, if it continues the season will be fun

17 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

going forward you likely will see more  of perkins with the ball, today was the first time we saw what we thought perkins would be all year, if it continues the season will be fun

The last time he heated up they won five in a row by an average margin of 15 points per game. The only thing that could stop him was the pandemic halting the season.

Zink likes this

10 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

The last time he heated up they won five in a row by an average margin of 15 points per game. The only thing that could stop him was the pandemic halting the season.

That team was hot as a firecracker. 

12 hours ago, cheeseman said:

It would seem but the same goes for the coach.  When he doesn't have his go to guy he has to come up with other ways.

The thing about this game is I thought our offense flowed better than normal with the ball not being stuck in one player’s hands and waiting on him to initiate everything. Our shooting percentage was higher than normal and turnover rate lower. What to do when your team looks better with the country’s top assist man not playing?

Bizziken and brianstl like this

5 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Why would I ever be upset with a win?  I thought we had no chance but Perkins saved us. I really hope he is back.  You must have a screw loose.

1. Nobody here believes you're actually a billiken fan.
  2. You said Ford coached his best game....Now you're saying perkins saved us...Which is it?
  3. Something something pot meet kettle.

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

The thing about this game is I thought our offense flowed better than normal with the ball not being stuck in one player’s hands and waiting on him to initiate everything. Our shooting percentage was higher than notmal and turnover rate lower. What to do when your team looks better with the country’s top assist man not playing?

This. I’m shocked a raging debate regarding this obvious issue has yet to commence. Old Guy must be biding his time…just waiting to unleash…

I didn’t get to watch until late last night on the ESPN+ replay.  3 takeaways:

1. Nice win!

2. both of those play by play guys were so bad it was almost like an SNL skit.

3. I saw some guy hunched over with bent knees, getting low when he was bringing the ball up the court and I was like “holy sh*t, that’s Perkins!!”

Billiken Rich likes this

19 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I didn’t get to watch until late last night on the ESPN+ replay.  3 takeaways:

1. Nice win!

2. both of those play by play guys were so bad it was almost like an SNL skit.

3. I saw some guy hunched over with bent knees, getting low when he was bringing the ball up the court and I was like “holy sh*t, that’s Perkins!!”

So bad.  One thing I do love however is taking the life out of the opposing announcers w/ our play.  Especially idiots like yesterday who have no business in television.  You could hear the pain in their voice during the 25-0 run

8 hours ago, Fraz said:

So bad.  One thing I do love however is taking the life out of the opposing announcers w/ our play.  Especially idiots like yesterday who have no business in television.  You could hear the pain in their voice during the 25-0 run

The one guy kind of reminded me of a St. Louis icon. 

The play-by-play guy was bad.  Apparently he is a staple in and around northern and southern Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic doing UVa, VATech, James Madison, Old Dominion, etc. games.  I thought he tried too too hard to be a homer.

Patsos was a Maryland assistant for years then moved on to Loyola (MD) as head coach and then parlayed some success there to the HC job at Siena.  Patsos' claim to fame was that while at Loyola, his team held Steph Curry scoreless.  Problem was, he double-teamed Curry the whole game, leaving his three remaining guys to cover Davidson's four.  Curry just went down and stood in the corner of the offense, drawing his two men with him.  Loyola lost by 30 to Davidson.  Almost as legendary as our 20 point effort at Geedubya.  Patsos first win at Siena came against the Brown Indian group from Olean.  He won the CBI his first year there.  He was a high riser.  He quit at Siena when they were investigated for inappropriate behavior.

I thought, outside of the gravel in his voice, he was okay.  This is his first year as a college color guy.  He did his homework but he kept repeating the same items over and over ..... SLU Top 25 ranking, Jordan Goodwin in the house, everybody om SLU some all A10 teamer, etc ..... which happens when you talk too much because your actual game is off the rails.  I also thought his analysis was pretty good at times with what we were doing and what Geedubya was doing wrong.  Especially in that 9 minute shutout to start the second half.  His insistence on going to Dean and Lindo was downright comical, however.  

They were bad, but so are Lunardi, Greg Beckwith at Richmond, "POW" Man from La Salle, Duquesne's former player doing color for the Dukes, and so on.  I am sure opponents would revere Rammer and Earl in the same vein.  Whatever happen to John Giannini, the former La Salle dude?  I thought he was a very good color guy for the A10 when he got canned from La Salle.

On 1/15/2023 at 5:12 AM, billikenbill said:

The thing about this game is I thought our offense flowed better than normal with the ball not being stuck in one player’s hands and waiting on him to initiate everything. Our shooting percentage was higher than normal and turnover rate lower. What to do when your team looks better with the country’s top assist man not playing?

Turnover rate was down by 2, assist rate was down by almost 6. Turnovers may be directly attributed to Okoro's lack of PT or the fact that we were playing a bad GW team. No sh!t shooting % is up when GJ and the JP's combine for 22-38 shooting but imagine the score when we have a team playing that hot and one of the best passer college basketball has seen in decades leading the ship 

10 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Turnover rate was down by 2, assist rate was down by almost 6. Turnovers may be directly attributed to Okoro's lack of PT or the fact that we were playing a bad GW team. No sh!t shooting % is up when GJ and the JP's combine for 22-38 shooting but imagine the score when we have a team playing that hot and one of the best passer college basketball has seen in decades leading the ship 

I was loving the top of the key isos with Perk and Pickett. Doesn’t happen when they’re playing the 3 and 4. I’d like to see that mixed in when Yuri returns.