An early look/guess at the starting lineup for the first games and early subs

The battle for the last starting spot is between Thatch and Pickett. It may change based on match-ups, but my nod goes to Fred. His rebounding is what gives him the edge, IMO. Plus, IF it's tied between those two, the edge goes to the guy whose been in the program the whole time. Personally I think he earned it with the way he played last year. Pickett still figures to play a big role and the two of them may very well get very similar minutes.

slufanskip likes this

The question of Thatch's academic standing is somewhere on this board.  I couldn't find the question with a quick search, so I'm putting this response here.

Looking at the roster page on the Saint Louis Official Athletic Site, Thatch is shown as earning a B.S. in Marketing (2021) and an MBA (2022).  Under Major, he is listed as M.S. in Supply Chain Management candidate.  If this is accurate, I take it to mean he isn't going for his doctorate.  I've been wrong before.

53 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The question of Thatch's academic standing is somewhere on this board.  I couldn't find the question with a quick search, so I'm putting this response here.

Looking at the roster page on the Saint Louis Official Athletic Site, Thatch is shown as earning a B.S. in Marketing (2021) and an MBA (2022).  Under Major, he is listed as M.S. in Supply Chain Management candidate.  If this is accurate, I take it to mean he isn't going for his doctorate.  I've been wrong before.

If I'm remembering correctly that path likely means Thatch would finish his 2nd major this academic year and likely not return to the team for his 6th year of eligibility.  I seem to recall it being a choice of 2nd major & play 1 more year or go for his doctorate and play 2 more years.  If accurate, the path he's on doesn't necessarily preclude a return, but makes it much less likely than if he was going for his doctorate.  MBMs please correct me if I'm wrong here.

The difference between a PhD and a Masters is the thesis research and its defense. In order to get the non academic part of the PhD done in 1 year he has to work real hard on his own research. I think he could very well go for the PhD at the end of this academic year, and opt out of playing basketball. Of course he might decide he wants to play another year while doing research (which is very difficult to do), or to go straight to work somewhere. These are my opinions of his available options by the end of next season, not reality. Thatch is a very capable man, he can certainly structure what he is doing in a way to give himself the largest number of options by the end of the season.

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

The difference between a PhD and a Masters is the thesis research and its defense. In order to get the non academic part of the PhD done in 1 year he has to work real hard on his own research. I think he could very well go for the PhD at the end of this academic year, and opt out of playing basketball. Of course he might decide he wants to play another year while doing research (which is very difficult to do), or to go straight to work somewhere. These are my opinions of his available options by the end of next season, not reality. Thatch is a very capable man, he can certainly structure what he is doing in a way to give himself the largest number of options by the end of the season.

The difference between a PHD and a Master’s is one is called Doctor and the other is called Mister. 

almaman likes this

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

MDs, Dentists, and other health care PhDs are called doctor. It is seen as pretentious to insist in being called Doctor when your PhD is in other fields like Botany.

And yet so many of them with those degrees in other areas do insist upon being called Doctor.  The good news is those people can’t prescribe drugs…

23 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

If I'm remembering correctly that path likely means Thatch would finish his 2nd major this academic year and likely not return to the team for his 6th year of eligibility.  I seem to recall it being a choice of 2nd major & play 1 more year or go for his doctorate and play 2 more years.  If accurate, the path he's on doesn't necessarily preclude a return, but makes it much less likely than if he was going for his doctorate.  MBMs please correct me if I'm wrong here.

He can always start going after his doctorate next season and not finish it if he so chooses.  It is not the completion of a program that determines eligibility, its just being in a program.