Go Ahead And Mark Me A Troll..I Don't Care Anymore

mrjoelabs

how humilitating near the end of the game lofton and adway smirking and talking trash during lulls in play.   they f'ing owned the billikens.  we were the bonnies b!tch by the end of the game.   thanks to another rousing horrible game coaching and preparation instance.   what i feel was uncovered Friday night, we have the 3rd best coach, the third best point guard and will likely finish 3rd in the conference standings.     

mrjoelabs likes this

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@skip ----- my problem is the complete deer-in-the-headlights look I saw on Nesbitt, Okoro and Hargrove when the Bonnies threw the zone at us.  Guys didn't seem to know where to go, where to be, and so on.  Okay, maybe that happens the first time, maybe even the second.  But after that, the shock wears off and you go where you're supposed to go in a zone offense.  And here's another add ---- Okoro the black hole.  Someone has got to get through to Francis that when he had the ball in the lane, a kick out is a plausible option.  

If I agree with you that the team forgot the offense then start calling timeouts and get them back into rhythm.  I don't care if you have none left at the end because you likely lost the game in the middle.  As we did in that "second quarter" fiasco.  We never recovered from that run. We never stopped that run.  We lost the game.  

I can't wait to see what the great adjustments will be come tomorrow.  I guarantee we will see the same strategy from Schmidt.  He might even go zone the whole game.

The contests against the Bonnies are fascinating.  MBMs on both sides think they know how it's going to go and it almost never pans out that way.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

how humilitating near the end of the game lofton and adway smirking and talking trash during lulls in play.   they f'ing owned the billikens.  we were the bonnies b!tch by the end of the game.   thanks to another rousing horrible game coaching and preparation instance.   what i feel was uncovered Friday night, we have the 3rd best coach, the third best point guard and will likely finish 3rd in the conference standings.     

I agree we looked bad against their zone.  But this isn't the first zone we have seen.  And, I think we can assume, the team has practiced against zones.  Yes, this is quit befuddling. 

We did get to see Yuri dribble a lot.  That was nice.  (Do I need blue font?)

The problem I forsee is that Schmidt will change things just enough for tomorrow that we still won't be prepared to handle their D.  They controlled the tempo.  They controlled the game.  They won.  The only other game we have scored fewer points was the L to Belmont, 64-59.  So we got one more bucket against the Bonnies.

47 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

@skip ----- my problem is the complete deer-in-the-headlights look I saw on Nesbitt, Okoro and Hargrove when the Bonnies threw the zone at us.  Guys didn't seem to know where to go, where to be, and so on.  Okay, maybe that happens the first time, maybe even the second.  But after that, the shock wears off and you go where you're supposed to go in a zone offense.  And here's another add ---- Okoro the black hole.  Someone has got to get through to Francis that when he had the ball in the lane, a kick out is a plausible option.  

If I agree with you that the team forgot the offense then start calling timeouts and get them back into rhythm.  I don't care if you have none left at the end because you likely lost the game in the middle.  As we did in that "second quarter" fiasco.  We never recovered from that run. We never stopped that run.  We lost the game.  

I can't wait to see what the great adjustments will be come tomorrow.  I guarantee we will see the same strategy from Schmidt.  He might even go zone the whole game.

I’m just wondering how a team that hasn’t been coached on how to beat a zone has done fine every other time? 

We’ve faced it numerous times this year. Yet we still had the 24th highest scoring offense in the country coming in. Maybe every other coach who watches film on us didn’t realize we are otherworldly against a man but suck against a zone. Or maybe they did and just wanted to challenge their team and not allow them to take the easy way out. 

The only thing relevant here is 3/18 against the 3 for the last 30 minutes. The best coached offense in the world can’t beat a zone shooting 3/18 from deep. Period

NYBilliken and Littlebill like this

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I’m just wondering how a team that hasn’t been coached on how to beat a zone has done fine every other time? 

We’ve faced it numerous times this year. Yet we still had the 24th highest scoring offense in the country coming in. Maybe every other coach who watches film on us didn’t realize we are otherworldly against a man but suck against a zone. Or maybe they did and just wanted to challenge their team and not allow them to take the easy way out. 

The only thing relevant here is 3/18 against the 3 for the last 30 minutes. The best coached offense in the world can’t beat a zone shooting 3/18 from deep. Period

Because of the longstanding fan belief that when a team succeeds it's because of the players but when they fail it's due to lack of preparation.  Is never because they just didn't play well.  All coaches have to do is "press the right buttons" to get their team to play better in real time.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Because of the longstanding fan belief that when a team succeeds it's because of the players but when they fail it's due to lack of preparation.  Is never because they just didn't play well.  All coaches have to do is "press the right buttons" to get their team to play better in real time.

Lol Oh no that can't be it.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yea but when an MBM can see that they seem lost it has to be coaching. Honestly it’s about time for me to join the ranks of many other posters who no longer contribute. There’s has to be a better forum to follow Billiken Basketball because this one has become ridiculous. We are no worse off than 90% of the board would have predicted after Perkins injury, yet read Roy’s post above. The problem is it barely stands out. It’s about the norm. 

Littlebill likes this

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yea but when an MBM can see that they seem lost it has to be coaching. Honestly it’s about time for me to join the ranks of many other posters who no longer contribute. There’s has to be a better forum to follow Billiken Basketball because this one has become ridiculous. We are no worse off than 90% of the board would have predicted after Perkins injury, yet read Roy’s post above. The problem is it barely stands out. It’s about the norm. 

I'd hate to see you go.  I've got at least 20 posters on ignore so I'm running out of posters to read.

On 2/12/2022 at 1:25 AM, mrjoelabs said:

Not only did I play (albeit not well)…I have also been a successful coach at the 13u level for quite some time…. 

Now that, is a hoot.  Successful 13U coach!  Now that makes you an expert ..... LOL.  You can't be serious.

Far too often team failure is blamed on the coach.  I guarantee you the players were taught how to bust a zone and lots more.  These are young men, not professionals.  3 for 18 second half on 3's. Many wide open shots .... that and turnovers lost this game.  And the Bonnie's hit the open 3's SLU missed.  Bad games happen occasionally.  I've seen many great teams lose to a greatly inferior team.  In this case, SLU lost to a talented, veteran team.  It happens to many, not just SLU ..... and it's not always the coach's fault.

21 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Na, getting ready to retire. Thanks for the thought though.

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I hate this thread because of the troll that started it is never fair.

I read and post less because of the reasons you list however there are still so many that are good so place the trolls on ignore.

Before the 6 game winning streak I had enough of the board so I put twitter on my phone and followed Earl Austin, Bob Ramsey, Carter Chaply, and A10 talk.  Those are really good options to follow the team.

For what it’s worth you are a good fan and poster.  Don’t deny yourself of informative posts from 3 Star, Pistol, Taj, HP, Bay Area, The One.  Stay with the others like me that are the bleed blue rabid fans that appreciate what we have with Ford and this team.

Be well go Bills beat the Bonnie’s on Monday.

cgeldmacher likes this

Good discussion despite the acknowledged trolling of the topic. Getting criticized after loss, fairly or unfairly, by experts or wannabes, comes with the job. Ford wouldn’t stay in Division I much less at SLU if he wasn’t self-critical and able to diagnose and often fix what goes wrong.

There seems consensus after these threads that Ford gets at least an A- in recruiting and motivation but lower grade in in-game coaching. With his ability to motivate, his teams usually improve over the season, and he has low transfer-out rate. He doesn’t seem to recruit to fit a system like a McKillop or Boeheim, instead tries to get the best players and works with them to find a way to win. And he does win, and has built the program, and still has a path to break through to even higher level of success.

But… good comments by Taj79 about the total failure to respond to zone. It seemed like the team lost its poise after the fastbreak dunk by Hargrove and the made 3 by Jimerson to stretch the early lead. Whereas SBU responded with veteran poise and determination. As posters noted, Bills kept trying same things, despite it not working. It looked like we kept trying to improvise great plays, which backfired, while SBU was playing calmly, like they knew what they were doing. For SLU coaches and players alike, that run of greatness early in game plus the adrenaline of the big crowd and nationwide tv backfired. Maybe we know how to handle zone, but didn’t show it on Friday night.

Nesbitt’s absence from scoring column was especially telling. He is great player but there seems no plan for him to dominate on offense when other options are covered by finding soft spots in the defense. Or the players did not execute the plan. I predict he (and Ford) will adjust and break through on Monday.

Despite all this, as SLU Fan Skip noted, we still would have won if we made three-point shots. The team played hard throughout, just too many poor choices and missed shots.

Great point by Dr. Bird about assist distribution across the team. It seems greatness of Yuri can be weakness if other players get out of habit of creating.

It will be good to see how the coach and team respond in Olean. Go Bills!

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I guess I know your 2 best coaches?  Who are your 2 best point guards?  Also, if the Billikens finish third in the standings, who finishes fourth?

33 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

I guess I know your 2 best coaches?  Who are your 2 best point guards?  Also, if the Billikens finish third in the standings, who finishes fourth?

Loyer is the best and lofton 2nd

thetorch likes this

13 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Roy you are spot on other than i don't put this on Yuri.  And Ford is worse then 3rd best

20 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Skip you're a good poster.  Don't let the gaslighting narcissists on this board drive you away.  That is exactly what these types want.  They are not really fans - at least in how they carry themselves on this board - they instead use the board to get the emotional reactions they need to feed off and feel more powerful.  

This is possibly one of the most out of touch threads I've ever seen. You are living in the past. College basketball is a recruiters game. Ford can recruit.

Recruiting > coaching now. Ford can hang with today's basketball. I'll keep what I know. Saw enough with Crews recruiting guys who couldn't play.

I've never seen Ford bring a kid in who I plain thought couldn't play.

That game you are talking about is done and gone. It's over. Go home. Players transfer by the year now.

Also brilliant Schmidt has 4 conference losses and 7 losses overall while starting 5 seniors. I don't know what to do with your terrible thread. It's just bad.

19 minutes ago, Soderball said:

This is possibly one of the most out of touch threads I've ever seen. You are living in the past. College basketball is a recruiters game. Ford can recruit.

Recruiting > coaching now. Ford can hang with today's basketball. I'll keep what I know. Saw enough with Crews recruiting guys who couldn't play.

I've never seen Ford bring a kid in who I plain thought couldn't play.

That game you are talking about is done and gone. It's over. Go home. Players transfer by the year now.

Also brilliant Schmidt has 4 conference losses and 7 losses overall while starting 5 seniors. I don't know what to do with your terrible thread. It's just bad.

I may never take Roy seriously again after suggesting Yuri is the 3rd best PG in the league. Unless I misinterpreted him and what he was actually saying is that Yuri is the 3rd best PG in the country, which makes more sense. 

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

I may never take Roy seriously again after suggesting Yuri is the 3rd best PG in the league. Unless I misinterpreted him and what he was actually saying is that Yuri is the 3rd best PG in the country, which makes more sense. 

Its what happens when people put their emotions ahead of logic.

Its also what happens when people can't handle that the modern game is not what college basketball used to be. Ford is well adapted to handle today's college basketball. He's a good program builder and will keep us relevant.

I had my criticisms about his on floor decisions. That's fine. Make them. They are valid points. This is way beyond that.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, slufanskip said:

Agree with 3Star.  Please don't go.  We need more rational posters in the face of the irrational takes than less.  This board is still entertaining, even though we don't always agree.  It will become less entertaining if the "let's roll through a coach every two years and sink to the bottom of our league" posters outnumber the rest of us.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, slufanskip said:

I took a break from the board couple years ago for several months basically waiting for people to chill out and be more normal in the early covid days. It was worth it because the board just wasn't fun and people were saying truly unhinged things including a particularly vitriolic poster making really wild personal posts about how I'm a bad person and mother lol. After people chilled out it became better for awhile...but I agree it's not as fun as it once was, still. 

Is anyone interested in starting a Discord channel with fun billiken fans only?

21 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

I took a break from the board couple years ago for several months basically waiting for people to chill out and be more normal in the early covid days. It was worth it because the board just wasn't fun and people were saying truly unhinged things including a particularly vitriolic poster making really wild personal posts about how I'm a bad person and mother lol. After people chilled out it became better for awhile...but I agree it's not as fun as it once was, still. 

Is anyone interested in starting a Discord channel with fun billiken fans only?

Trolls and ignorance will follow everywhere. Just have to learn to ignore the weirdos. I am at fault for responding to ole troll labs at the beginning of this thread. But it did give us the gold of him comparing his success at the 13u level to the bills lol. But there's plenty of logical Billiken fans on here. Just not the most vocal crowd at times. 

Like someone mentioned earlier, can't let them win by making one stop posting. And honestly the work @SluSignGuy (and others if there are others not trying to slight anyone) has done to give us this forum is enough for me to not want to leave and go somewhere else for my billiken opinions/ chatter. 

Only Floyd Mayweather goes undefeated. 

Or troll labs 13u squad. 💪