Go Ahead And Mark Me A Troll..I Don't Care Anymore

mrjoelabs

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm still trying to understand how expanding the rotation to Rashad Williams, DeAndre Jones and Markhi Strickland would result in us running opponents out of the building.

With the athleticism of those guys we could full court press and get a bunch of turnovers. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

With the athleticism of those guys we could full court press and get a bunch of turnovers. 

I know that's the sales pitch but what is it based on? You need plus defenders to full court press, not just plus athletes.  And the only plus athlete of the three guys I mentioned is probably the worst defender.

slufanskip likes this

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I know that's the sales pitch but what is it based on? You need plus defenders to full court press, not just plus athletes.  And the only plus athlete of the three guys I mentioned is probably the worst defender.

Maybe in fall of 2020 when you realize you have a "plus athlete" you spend the next year plus making him a better defender?  

If a team is that unprepared to face a zone defense, THAT is on the coach.  Beating a zone is ball movement and cutting, NOT standing around dribbling.

@skip --- very good analysis, on top guys having off nights.  That I caN SEE.

@skip --- I saw way too many giuyus standing around looking for direction as to where to go and what to do.  This contributed to Yuri dribbling the ball way too much.  Our guys had no clue ---- that's on Ford.  Bonaventure, given their five man rotation, has played zone and especially this zone before.  It should not have been such a surprise.

Win that damn game and we are in first place due to results today.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm still trying to understand how expanding the rotation to Rashad Williams, DeAndre Jones and Markhi Strickland would result in us running opponents out of the building.

Agree!

There is a reason Markhi Strickland isn’t getting off the bench.

If he could contribute at all he would get more than just mop up duty.

He is not the answer.

cgeldmacher likes this

51 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

If a team is that unprepared to face a zone defense, THAT is on the coach.  Beating a zone is ball movement and cutting, NOT standing around dribbling.

@skip --- very good analysis, on top guys having off nights.  That I caN SEE.

@skip --- I saw way too many giuyus standing around looking for direction as to where to go and what to do.  This contributed to Yuri dribbling the ball way too much.  Our guys had no clue ---- that's on Ford.  Bonaventure, given their five man rotation, has played zone and especially this zone before.  It should not have been such a surprise.

Win that damn game and we are in first place due to results today.

Is it really your assumption that they don’t work on how to beat a zone. Just because players don’t do something doesn’t mean they haven’t been taught. 

From the 10 minute mark of the 1st half they were 3/18 from 3. No one can coach you to beat a zone if you can’t hit an outside shot. 3/18 in the last 30 minutes. 

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Is it really your assumption that they don’t work on how to beat a zone. Just because players don’t do something doesn’t mean they haven’t been taught. 

I don't see much difference on how we attack any defense.   The ball seems to be in Yuri's hands about 60% of every possession.   Very little ball movement. 

Just now, Dr Bird said:

I don't see much difference on how we attack any defense.   The ball seems to be in Yuri's hands about 60% of every possession.   Very little ball movement. 

60% is very low. 80% more like it.

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

From the 10 minute mark of the 1st half they were 3/18 from 3. No one can coach you to beat a zone if you can’t hit an outside shot. 3/18 in the last 30 minutes. 

Agree

I thought they had open looks they just missed them.

I also don’t think the turnovers were caused by some super creative defense. Most of the TOs were of the head up keister variety. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

There’s a huge difference. With a zone that doesn’t have to extend itself, it’s almost impossible to get in the paint to find an open shooter or get the ball to a big inside. 

Di you realize we had the 24th highest scoring offense in the country coming into the game. Teams have zoned us numerous times this year and generally we force them out of it by hitting shots. Yesterday we didn’t. 

For a team with a coach that clearly can’t or hasn’t taught his team to attack a zone you’d think teams would do it more often

cgeldmacher likes this

10 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

So, we are not supposed to label this a troll post. Can we label it an idiotic thread then? Or someone without any backbone. Turn on the coach at any loss. Just ridiculous. Ford is still on pace to be the second best coach in modern SLU history.

Just think how good he’d be if he read Billikens.com. He’d know to coach a team on how to beat a zone. He’d have a much better idea when to substitute players. He’d know to run and press more. And most importantly he’d know not to slow it down at the end of games. 

29 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

There’s a huge difference. With a zone that doesn’t have to extend itself, it’s almost impossible to get in the paint to find an open shooter or get the ball to a big inside. 

Di you realize we had the 24th highest scoring offense in the country coming into the game. Teams have zoned us numerous times this year and generally we force them out of it by hitting shots. Yesterday we didn’t. 

For a team with a coach that clearly can’t or hasn’t taught his team to attack a zone you’d think teams would do it more often

I agree that most of what Coach Ford is doing is working.  We have far exceeded my expectations, especially after losing Javonte.  That said, I'd love to see more ball movement.  Yuri have almost 7x the number of assists than the next teammate.  Here's the assist distributions for us, Davidson and Bonnies.  

Name Assists Name Assists Name Assists
Yuri Collins G 201 Foster Loyer G 78 Kyle Lofton G 97
Jordan Nesbitt G 28 Luka Brajkovic F 56 Jaren Holmes G 79
DeAndre Jones G 27 Michael Jones G 50 Dominick Welch G 36
Fred Thatch Jr. G 26 Hyunjung Lee G 46 Osun Osunniyi F 34
Gibson Jimerson G 17 Sam Mennenga F 36 Jalen Adaway G 16
Terrence Hargrove Jr. F 15 Nelson Boachie-Yiadom F 26 Quadry Adams G 8
Marten Linssen F 14 Grant Huffman G 25 Abdoul Karim Coulibaly F 3
Rashad Williams G 9 Desmond Watson G 14 Linton Brown G 2
Francis Okoro F 8 Emory Lanier G 5    
Andre Lorentsson F 4 David Kristensen F 4    
Lassina Traore F 4 Styrmir Thrastarson G 4    
Brandon Courtney G 1 Chris Ford F 1    
Markhi Strickland G 1 Michael Katsock F 1    
Total 355 Total 346 Total 275

NYBilliken and thetorch like this

I don't know, but are Gibson's legs beginning to fatigue?  He has played 801 minutes this year, more than his first two years combined.  He has gone from 22 mpg last season to 33 mpg this season. That is a huge jump. 

Leg's are so important to jump shooters.  Perhaps the season is taking a toll on his legs and hence his shot.  I would have liked to see Ford pull him out of the LaSalle game early.  Five minutes here and five minutes there will add up.  The Feb schedule is brutal with games every three days. 

28 minutes ago, Dr Bird said:

I agree that most of what Coach Ford is doing is working.  We have far exceeded my expectations, especially after losing Javonte.  That said, I'd love to see more ball movement.  Yuri have almost 7x the number of assists than the next teammate.  Here's the assist distributions for us, Davidson and Bonnies.  

Name Assists Name Assists Name Assists
Yuri Collins G 201 Foster Loyer G 78 Kyle Lofton G 97
Jordan Nesbitt G 28 Luka Brajkovic F 56 Jaren Holmes G 79
DeAndre Jones G 27 Michael Jones G 50 Dominick Welch G 36
Fred Thatch Jr. G 26 Hyunjung Lee G 46 Osun Osunniyi F 34
Gibson Jimerson G 17 Sam Mennenga F 36 Jalen Adaway G 16
Terrence Hargrove Jr. F 15 Nelson Boachie-Yiadom F 26 Quadry Adams G 8
Marten Linssen F 14 Grant Huffman G 25 Abdoul Karim Coulibaly F 3
Rashad Williams G 9 Desmond Watson G 14 Linton Brown G 2
Francis Okoro F 8 Emory Lanier G 5    
Andre Lorentsson F 4 David Kristensen F 4    
Lassina Traore F 4 Styrmir Thrastarson G 4    
Brandon Courtney G 1 Chris Ford F 1    
Markhi Strickland G 1 Michael Katsock F 1    
Total 355 Total 346 Total 275

Not to get too deep into the details, but Lofton missed 3 games and Holmes took over at point.  If I was curious enough, I could see how many Holmes had in those three, but I'm not that curious. If Lofton had played those 3, he would have more than 97 and Holmes less than 79.  No big deal.

And to your point, look at Okoro with 8, Brajkovic with 56 and Asunniyi with 34.  That is one HUGE area Okoro needs to work on next off season. French averaged 1.9 assists per game with 217 assists over his career.

Dr Bird and Bills By 40 like this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Just think how good he’d be if he read Billikens.com. He’d know to coach a team on how to beat a zone. He’d have a much better idea when to substitute players. He’d know to run and press more. And most importantly he’d know not to slow it down at the end of games. 

All goes to my hatred of allowing fans from  other teams to be on here they may tell their coaches all our insights.

11 minutes ago, Brighton said:

This is Ford's ceiling. Get to the top 4 every year and sometimes to the 2nd spot only to fall a couple steps back again and play in the NIT.

I hope May and others are still looking for candidates that can take this program to the next level.

Like who? 

I think the passing of Ford Stein has had an effect on Travis’ coaching style and attitude this year. He seems angry for most of the game. He himself admitted that Coach Stuen had a sort of calming effect on him. I think he trusted Coach S more than any of his other ACs and would accept his advice/critiques. Just a thought from afar. 

@skip ----- my problem is the complete deer-in-the-headlights look I saw on Nesbitt, Okoro and Hargrove when the Bonnies threw the zone at us.  Guys didn't seem to know where to go, where to be, and so on.  Okay, maybe that happens the first time, maybe even the second.  But after that, the shock wears off and you go where you're supposed to go in a zone offense.  And here's another add ---- Okoro the black hole.  Someone has got to get through to Francis that when he had the ball in the lane, a kick out is a plausible option.  

If I agree with you that the team forgot the offense then start calling timeouts and get them back into rhythm.  I don't care if you have none left at the end because you likely lost the game in the middle.  As we did in that "second quarter" fiasco.  We never recovered from that run. We never stopped that run.  We lost the game.  

I can't wait to see what the great adjustments will be come tomorrow.  I guarantee we will see the same strategy from Schmidt.  He might even go zone the whole game.